Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 08:37 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,878 times

Advertisements

Yes, and let us not forget how Bill Cosby was chastised by his people because of his message to them, "Stop Blaming The White People." If one hasn't read it, it's a great read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 09:20 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnival96 View Post
It is patently unfair to take an activity that is engaged in by a small percentage of the population (2% according to these numbers), and presume that every black male who doesn't have a college degree is prone to commit such violent acts.
And to be perfectly clear, I agree with you. It IS unfair. It's just that the few bad seeds make it hard for everyone else, unfortunately ... especially in a society where so many people jump to conclusions about racial and ethnic groups that they don't know or understand.

Quote:
In fact, the reality is that the 3400 number is probably a much higher estimate than the true number of murderers, because many of these people commit multiple acts. I would be willing to bet that the true percentage of people who fall into this homicidal category is probably well under 1 percent of the black male population, even in a violence plagued city like DC.
Also probably true.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:44 AM

124 posts, read 449,977 times
Default Cosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Yes, and let us not forget how Bill Cosby was chastised by his people because of his message to them, "Stop Blaming The White People." If one hasn't read it, it's a great read.
I think Cosby was chastised because of the stupidity of some of the statements he made. Here is an actual quote from one of these so-called responsibility speeches that he gave:

"Ladies and gentlemen, the lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal. These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids, $500 sneakers for what, and won't spend $200 for Hooked on Phonics. They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English. I can't even talk the way these people talk: 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is'... And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk.... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads.... You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth!"

Cosby also referred to imprisoned Blacks. "These are not political criminals; these are people going around stealing Coca-Cola. People getting shot in the back of the head over a piece of pound cake and then we run out and we are outraged, saying 'The cops shouldn't have shot him.' What the hell was he doing with the pound cake in his hand?"

Obviously, some of what he says has a ring of truth to it, but to make statements stereotyping ALL "lower economic" people (whatever that's supposed to mean) is hardly an intelligent position. I grew up around many so-called "lower economic" people and to be truthful, SOME of them do practice self-destructive and self-defeating behaviors. MOST of the ones that I've encountered, don't. And I seriously hope that he is not condoning shooting people in the head for stealing a piece of pound cake. Also, speech patterns, dialects, etc. are generally subconscious and are highly influenced by the area that you are raised in.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:27 AM

562 posts, read 660,297 times
Quote:
I recall seeing a poll several years ago that ranked Colin Powell as one of the most popular figures among black Americans. I believe at the time, he was ranked higher than Jesse Jackson. He lost most of his credibility in the black community because he cast his lot with the Bush gang, and provided the impetus for starting a war, that most black Americans did not and won't ever support.

And there is no such thing as "acting black" (or acting white for that matter); Every black person is responsible for his/her own behavior. Rappers are entertainers who sometimes do questionable things in order to gain noteriety. This is not much different from rock stars who bite the heads off of live birds or celebutants like Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan who act gangsta in their own totally irresponsible way by driving vehicles while intoxicated.
Cast his lot with the Bush gang? You mean he went over to the 'white camp' don't you? That's what they didn't like and the black community disowned him.

No such thing as acting black? Black people always act differently in two situations - the first situation is where they are amongst other blacks. Then all the black slang, jumping around, and attitudes come out. The second situation is where you have a black amongst whites. Then MOST of the time they start acting like a normal everyday person, or try to, depending on how 'gangstaized' they really are.

I'm not trying to insult anyone, I am just trying to explain this in a manner that I can get it across.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:29 PM

82 posts, read 305,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
No such thing as acting black? Black people always act differently in two situations - the first situation is where they are amongst other blacks. Then all the black slang, jumping around, and attitudes come out. The second situation is where you have a black amongst whites. Then MOST of the time they start acting like a normal everyday person, or try to, depending on how 'gangstaized' they really are.

I'm not trying to insult anyone, I am just trying to explain this in a manner that I can get it across.
this is simply inaccurate and not consistent with my experience. my guess is you are either very young with limited exposure or very old with "old school" racial attitudes

Old 07-29-2007, 12:34 PM

659 posts, read 1,374,289 times
Quote:

Sure, being studious doesn't necessarily up your "coolness factor" in high school, but this is probably true among all races. Other than petty jealousy from a very small percentage of people (which also occurs in all races), in my experience, this is not a real issue.
This bit about 'coolness factor' is rife over hear in the UK except it's called 'street cred'. Especially white boys from poor (underclass) families.

Additionally this sector is reported on the BBC, according to a recent investigation, as doing the worst in academia. Studies point to deficiencies in the educational system.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:48 PM

659 posts, read 1,374,289 times
Quote:
Cast his lot with the Bush gang? You mean he went over to the 'white camp' don't you? That's what they didn't like and the black community disowned him.
I'm inclined to take karnival96 at his word and interpret your interpretation as having a dubius undercurrent.

When Powell went along with the war/invasion of Iraq many over here (anti war) were dissapointed. He had been seen as a man of reason and wisdom.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:03 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,861 times
Quote:
Then all the black slang, jumping around, and attitudes come out.
Too funny.

Jumping around how?

Old 07-29-2007, 01:32 PM

562 posts, read 660,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinewebsearcher View Post
this is simply inaccurate and not consistent with my experience. my guess is you are either very young with limited exposure or very old with "old school" racial attitudes
Actually I am 38 years old, and have had PLENTY of exposure. I think you have blinders over your eyes and you are the one with inexperience. Especially since you find my information 'inaccurate'.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:15 PM

82 posts, read 305,620 times
Quote:
Actually I am 38 years old, and have had PLENTY of exposure. I think you have blinders over your eyes and you are the one with inexperience. Especially since you find my information 'inaccurate'.
i am quite experienced with people from various socio-economic backgrounds and regions and people differ greatly based on these two factors.
perhaps you are simply a hick who has only been exposed to non-college educated southern blacks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies