Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 02:23 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,180,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
There is no theater and nobody yelling fire. You analogy is bogus.
Would you make these same excuses for me if I was to slaughter a mosque full of Muslims because they burned a bible in Pakistan?
I'm not making any excuses at all for the vile and evil acts perpetrated by ignorant people half way around the world and you know it. The totality of my criticism has been lobbed at the pastor in Florida whose self-serving act of burning a Koran and then making sure it was publicized when the Pentagon pleaded with him to refrain from it, has been the ONLY person in my cross hairs. Those of you who are supporting this action as his right to free speech are correct that such a right exists and no one disputes that either. It was knowingly and willfully placing his "right to free speech" above any concern for the safety of those in Afghanistan that is abhorrent to me. Had any one of the pastor's supporters lost a loved one as a result of the pastor's actions, I would bet the farm he would be singing a different tune.

Do you blame the last domino to fall for any damage that is done or do you blame the person who set the domino cascade in action?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 02:26 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,606,150 times
If I were to follow the convoluted "logic" of some on here, we would think that since muslims killed some Christians and desecrated our Bibles...that we should now go on a spree in muslim areas, like Dearbornistan.

But that's the difference between Christianity and islam. We don't do stuff like that...we're peaceful.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:26 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,866,438 times
He burned a book. His own book.

I remain astonished at the notion that anyone believes this means he's guilty of murder. If Muslims cannot deal with the very notion that anyone dares criticize Islam let alone argue this justifies murder, then Muslims have a much more serious problem than a burned book somewhere.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:30 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,430,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I'm not making any excuses at all for the vile and evil acts perpetrated by ignorant people half way around the world and you know it. The totality of my criticism has been lobbed at the pastor in Florida whose self-serving act of burning a Koran and then making sure it was publicized when the Pentagon pleaded with him to refrain from it, has been the ONLY person in my cross hairs. Those of you who are supporting this action as his right to free speech are correct that such a right exists and no one disputes that either. It was knowingly and willfully placing his "right to free speech" above any concern for the safety of those in Afghanistan that is abhorrent to me. Had any one of the pastor's supporters lost a loved one as a result of the pastor's actions, I would bet the farm he would be singing a different tune.

Do you blame the last domino to fall for any damage that is done or do you blame the person who set the domino cascade in action?
I blame the people who did the killing. So are you saying that if someone told you to go kill someone and you did it, it would be the person who told you to do it's fault? How about you told your friend that their spouse was cheating on them and they killed their spouse, that your fault too?

Old 04-05-2011, 02:30 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,112,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
He burned a book. His own book.

I remain astonished at the notion that anyone believes this means he's guilty of murder.
No one on this thread has made any such assertion.

Quote:
If Muslims cannot deal with the very notion that anyone dares criticize Islam let alone argue this justifies murder, then Muslims have a much more serious problem than a burned book somewhere.
Obviously. But:

That does not absolve this jerk of what he chose to do, for his own personal gain, that costs the lives of innocent people.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:40 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,204,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
And what is our responsibility to a bunch of ignorant murderous savages in another country who are looking for any excuse to kill one another based on a religion with roots in the 7th century? How do the religious beliefs of a zealot living in Afghanistan dictate my actions living in the US? Shall I give up pork BBQ as well? And aged scotch? And dress my daughter in a Burqua?

And why would one suppose that them responding to actions a world away, in which they did not participate, would "unquestionably" result in them killing one another?
IMO,Our responsibility is too not get our allies and Americans over there killed by doing irresponsible things such a Terry Jones is doing.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I blame the people who did the killing. So are you saying that if someone told you to go kill someone and you did it, it would be the person who told you to do it's fault? How about you told your friend that their spouse was cheating on them and they killed their spouse, that your fault too?
Those people in Afghanistan who went on the killing spree in an outrage over their holy book having been burned, are ignorant and vile and I have made no excuses for them. So that takes care of your first silly question. As for the second one, I keep my nose out of other people's private affairs but if I did know of a cheating spouse, I would keep my mouth shut. So in either case, your "what if's" are not valid.

The pastor was well advised to refrain from burning the Koran and then making sure it was publicized. Death followed in its wake.

You didn't answer my question about if it's the last domino to fall that solely bears the blame for any damage done or if the one who set the domino cascade in action bears any responsibility.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:26 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,866,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
No one on this thread has made any such assertion.

Obviously. But:

That does not absolve this jerk of what he chose to do, for his own personal gain, that costs the lives of innocent people.
The only thing that cost the lives of innocent people were the people who murdered them. When you assert that he is somehow responsible for the violence that a group of Muslims perpetrated you are indeed asserting he's guilty of murder.

That's preposterous. Muslims are not children or animals that we must protect from criticism lest they react like temper tantrum throwing monkeys. They're grown ups. They have to act like grown ups or they have no right to complaint when we think of them as children and animals.

The pastor's protest is a valid form of protest. He doesn't need absolution.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
That's preposterous. Muslims are not children or animals that we must protect from criticism lest they react like temper tantrum throwing monkeys. They're grown ups. They have to act like grown ups or they have no right to complaint when we think of them as children and animals.
Which is it? "Muslims are not children or animals that must be protected from criticism......" and "They're grown ups" or "They have to act like grown ups or they have no right to complain when we think of them as children and animals". So are they rational adults or are they acting like children and animals? It can't be both ways when talking about the vile and ignorant barbarians that perpetrated these hideous atrocities in Afghanistan.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:51 PM

57,073 posts, read 26,036,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
If I were to follow the convoluted "logic" of some on here, we would think that since muslims killed some Christians and desecrated our Bibles...that we should now go on a spree in muslim areas, like Dearbornistan.

But that's the difference between Christianity and islam. We don't do stuff like that...we're peaceful.
The radical fringe of christians is no different than the muslim extremists, not on par with the radical muslim factions because they won't go killing senselessly over bible burnings. Maybe you haven't heard of the Army of God?

I don't like to judge any religion or race based on the actions of a few radical extremists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies