Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 03:01 PM

314 posts, read 639,598 times

Advertisements

The 6.2 trillion savings are based on a *ton* of hypotheticals and fuzzy math that a few people have already said doesn't seem to make sense. The plan is also missing quite a bit of the details that are actually supposed to be generating the savings.

But are Paul Ryan’s numbers real? - The Plum Line - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 03:05 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Thanks, Sanrene!

I needed a good laugh today!

Heck, I'll even rep you for it!

But you never quite explained how taking the action in December 2010 of changing nothing in the income tax rate suddenly caused new job growth as compared to the previous years that the exact same tax rate was in effect.

That was the original topic, wasn't it? At least it was, before "Professor" Pgh dragged us all over the map with his side trips.

How does enacting exactly no change whatsover cause sudden job growth? What about the job growth in the 10 months prior to December 2010, when there was no change to the no-change
i'll take a crack at one possible reason. When 0bama threatened to raise taxes, some businesses held off on new hires. Once they realized their taxes would remain the same for two years, they felt they could take a risk and hire more employees.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotch View Post
The 6.2 trillion savings are based on a *ton* of hypotheticals and fuzzy math that a few people have already said doesn't seem to make sense. The plan is also missing quite a bit of the details that are actually supposed to be generating the savings.

But are Paul Ryan’s numbers real? - The Plum Line - The Washington Post
It's a start, and we have until August to improve it. At least the republicans are trying to fix things, which is more then can be said for the do nothing democrats.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:23 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
That is why Congress created the CBO: Congressional Budget Office - Home Page
no, the CBO's job is to analize the costs of bills along with proposed changes, not write them.
Quote:
The OMB is not only redundant, but also extremely partisan.
The OMB is not redundant, they save redundancy from taking place. Why would you have the House write a buget, then the Senate write a budget, have them spend months upon months negotating the budget, only to have the President then veto the budget? It makes far more sense to find something the President will agree with, and then modify and change from that.. Partisan, absolutely, but do you think Congress isnt?
Quote:
That is why Congress created the CBO: Congressional Budget Office - Home Page
no, the CBO's job is to analize the costs of bills along with proposed changes, not write them.
Quote:
That is the problem when you rely on a deceptive media, you begin to believe their lies.

Obviously you are unaware that NO budget has been enacted by Congress since the Democrats took control in 2007. Not one. Bush proposed two budgets in 2007 and 2008, and Obama proposed two budgets in 2009 and 2010. Not one of the four proposed budgets ever came close to being passed by the House, much less Congress as a whole. For the last four years the federal government has been running on continuing resolutions and supplemental bills. There has been no budget for the last four years.

You really do need to stop buying into all this media propaganda and go directly to the source, it is clearly distorting your view of reality.
You know for the life of me, I could have sworn Obama signed a fiscal budget into law, but I'll be damned if I could find proof. He's written 3 proposals so far, Congress passed on of them almost unchanged, but I cant find a source to say that he actually signed it into law.
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Not leading? Oh that's so yesterday, you forget, today's phrase is smoke and mirrors. Keep you days straight please.
Still waiting for you to tell me why Obama hasnt implimented his own advisory panels suggestions yet..

Old 04-05-2011, 03:24 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
As I mentioned above, the OMB should be abolished. It is redundant and partisan. The OMB puts whatever spin the President wants on their proposed budget. Nothing the OMB puts out can be taken seriously. Whereas, the CBO is comprised of equal numbers of Democrats and Republicans, making it a more bi-partisan and a far more credible source.
Do you know what OMB is?

Old 04-05-2011, 03:24 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
That was the original topic, wasn't it? At least it was, before "Professor" Pgh dragged us all over the map with his side trips.
I didnt take you anywhere other than right to Obamas own documents..

Old 04-05-2011, 03:32 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

The OMB is not redundant, they save redundancy from taking place. Why would you have the House write a buget, then the Senate write a budget, have them spend months upon months negotating the budget, only to have the President then veto the budget? It makes far more sense to find something the President will agree with, and then modify and change from that.. Partisan, absolutely, but do you think Congress isnt?

You know for the life of me, I could have sworn Obama signed a fiscal budget into law, but I'll be damned if I could find proof. He's written 3 proposals so far, Congress passed on of them almost unchanged, but I cant find a source to say that he actually signed it into law.

Still waiting for you to tell me why Obama hasnt implimented his own advisory panels suggestions yet..
He can't, what part of that do you pretend to not understand.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:32 PM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
And no where does the GOP talk about ending tax handouts for corporations. In fact, on TV the other night, Tea folks who were elected to Congress defended their receiving agricultural subsidies. Only one said he would refuse them.
Are you saying unless a proposed budget doesn't include a cut in every single gov't program it isn't a real proposal?

Old 04-05-2011, 03:34 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
The House may have considered Obama's proposed budget for FY 2010 and FY 2011, when Democrats controlled the House. But the GOP controlled House is not considering Obama's proposed FY 2012 budget. Just like the Democrat controlled House did not consider Bush's proposed FY 2008 and FY 2009 budgets.

As I mentioned above, the OMB should be abolished. It is redundant and partisan. The OMB puts whatever spin the President wants on their proposed budget. Nothing the OMB puts out can be taken seriously. Whereas, the CBO is comprised of equal numbers of Democrats and Republicans, making it a more bi-partisan and a far more credible source.
Well, you can see how hard it is to get rid of wasteful, redundant, partisan entities within the federal government.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

Remember when: President 0bama meets with Reid and Pelosi over 2011 budget

I don’t remember last September, where 0bama showed his leadership, and held an emergency meeting with Reid and Pelosi to work out their differences, and get the 2011 budget passed and sent to his desk for a signature. In 2010, the democrats had both houses of congress and the presidency, and they did nothing. Hell, even back in 2008, when the dems controlled both houses of congress they could not pass an omnibus bill. That was the infamous 10,000 earmak omnibus bill that 0bama signed, right after he declared he would ban all earmarks.

The only reason we are discussing a possible “government shutdown” is because of the incompetence of the dems. When the dems rule the majority and control everything, they can’t do anything, and Wisconsin taught us that when the dems are in the minority, they flee their posts, so no one else can do anything either. We need to vote out so many of the dems, that it will not matter if they even show up for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies