Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:11 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The reason we tip-toe around them today is because Obama is POTUS. Those are HIS people.
Excuse me! That's "Imam Obama".

(Yeah, go ahead and act all surprised! His followers will be here momentarily to contest it!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 10:11 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
I would disagree with you because we would then tip toe around all religions. And we don't. Just turn on the tv and within a week you will see mockerys being made of all religions except one.....

That one (islam) is somehow untouchable. I thought I had religous freedom in this country without the fear of being persecuted. That is what drew many people to this country years ago.

Now if I put Islam in a bad light I am persecuted and blamed for deaths and destruction in OTHER countries.
The so-called "other religions" do not have an element of mayhem within them, at least not presently.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:12 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD
"Case Law is NOT constitutional law."
You couldn't be more wrong than this.

It amazes me that people actually believe statements like these.

I think you should be punished by having to write an essay on Marbury v. Madison.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:14 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'm sure Cs have killed someone this week.
Are you saying that there were no murders in the US this week?

Why jump on one religion if you don't jump on all for the same behavior?
Cs do it as much as Ms.
I don't see the vilifying of Cs, just of Ms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake
Those that would kill over their myths and belief systems are loons, doesn't matter what religion.

Lets see shall we? Who has McVeigh killed this week? Oh wait, we executed him a decade ago, he's not a threat. Isn't the doc killer in jail as well? Wern't they both widely condemned by mainstream Christians?

Don't you see a bit of a difference over a handful of crazy individuals acting alone, and many mobs of crazies in multiple locations around the world slaughtering people in the name of their religion?

Nice try at deflection, even though it's a FAIL. I thought the OP was about why we tip-toe the Muslim religion....musta missed the memo.
I see you have problems with reading comprehension. Let me restate it for you: Those that would kill over their myths and belief systems are loons, doesn't matter what religion.

We have this weeks latest mass slaughter, by a mob of Islamic extremists, in the name of Islam, over the burning of a book. Can you show me the latest article where a mob of crazy Methodists have murdered a bunch of people over burning a Bibie? If so, I'll make the same statement about them. They would also be bat-chit crazy idiots.

Would you be as quick to rise to their defense, attempt to justify their actions or attack those critical of them as you are with Islam?

Old 04-05-2011, 10:19 AM

623 posts, read 1,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
That depends, what was his intent?

Compare that to the intent express in this so-called pastor's actions.
So if the pastor had a better intent then it would be ok to do what he did and you wouldn't blame him for what happened. Just want to make sure we are clear.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:21 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Show me one christian this week that killed in the name of jesus christ.
Laurent Gbagbo.

Quote:
Gbagbo, along with his influential wife, Simone, are evangelical Christians who are known for lacing their speeches with religious rhetoric. "God is leading our fight. God has already given us the victory," Simone Gbagbo, who is both first lady and politician in her own right, said at a rally in January.
Why the Christian right is backing a brutal despot - Africa - Salon.com

Gbagbo, who lost the election in Cote D'Ivoire to Alassane Ouattara, a Muslim, has been invoking religion in his refusal to step down and massacres that his soldiers have committed in the months since.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:23 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Quote:
So if the pastor had a better intent then it would be ok to do what he did and you wouldn't blame him for what happened. Just want to make sure we are clear.
It's not a black and white thing. Blame is not quantifiable that way.

Analyzing it in the greater context, the pastor's intent helps to make him more responsible. MLK was trying to stop violence, not promote it.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:29 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
People tiptoe around Islam/ Muslims because the far left glorifies them for hating America and being the (perceived) victim of (perceived) Western oppression. On top of this, they are for the most part not white, another gold standard of liberal PC protectionism. It doesn't matter if Muslims themselves are as divorced from liberal ideals as can be. Victim + minority = untouchable. I think there is also a significant thread of antisemitism at play-- the Muslim world has been producing antisemitic materials for many years now that would make Hitler blush. And as liberals tend to be anti-Israel as well (particularly far left liberals), this is another feather in the muslim hat as far as the liberal perception is concerned.

It doesn't matter how bloodthirsty militant Muslims are, as long as the left perceives them as victims they will never be blamed for their own actions. And if conservatives try to call them on their behavior, those conservatives are called intolerant and racist.
I'd say this sums it up perfectly.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:32 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
What planet do you live on? Have you turned on the TV latley, read a paper, magazine. Every religion except one gets trashed daily. That my friend is tip toeing. Not respect.

The Golden Rule is not really true anyway.
If it's so prevalent, how about posting some links to this travesty?

I mock all religions, bunch of hallucinating whacked-out zealots.

Last edited by chielgirl; 04-05-2011 at 10:42 AM..

Old 04-05-2011, 10:39 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Sorry, but I cannot force myself to respect something I am completely opposed to. Take the religious aspects of Islam out of it (because I really don't care what religion someone believes in), and you are left with a societal and political ideological system that demeans, oppresses and subjugates many of its members. I treat individuals with respect, but I do not and never will respect Islam itself.
Then you have a problem.

Respect is not about supporting something. Respect is about a state of mind. It's about being open-minded, not close-minded. To take the position you have is you saying that you know everything about Islam and the people who practice that religion and that you have judged it and rejected it.

I don't believe that you know everything about Islam or the people who practice it. There is so much that each of us don't know, cannot know, that I cannot in good conscience live my life judging other people for their beliefs or cultures. I can and do reject the actions of people. I can oppose those actions. But it's actions that I oppose, not people. I can reject certain beliefs, and yet I have no choice but to accept that other people will accept those same beliefs. And if I want to challenge those beliefs, then I have to do it from a place of respect if I want them to respect me and my beliefs.

Just as you and I have disagreed numerous times, neither of us supports the others' beliefs, and yet because we've treated each other with respect, because we've had civil discourse, we've increased our understanding of each other, and that understanding, that knowledge, is a foundation for communication, the antithesis of aggression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies