Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 08:37 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times

Advertisements

Kuharai,

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I have to respectfully disagree that most of the black on black hatred comes from poorer black folks. I have seen more of the opposite. Where successful blacks look down on their less successful counterparts. But I also think that this is a commen trend amongst all races.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 08:42 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I don't know where you got your figure of 66%, but the 2005 Census says that the U.S. is 74.6% white.
Did the 2005 census count the 10million + illegals?

Old 07-30-2007, 08:54 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,104 times
Dave Chappel insults blacks as equally as he does everyone else
as far as media personalities go.....
I move around alot. If I see a rebel or #3 flag, or a bigfoot type pick-up
truck with a decal of a little kid pee-ing on something, I move on immediately....
Next...This neighborhoods not for me. As a Lily-Whitie, does that make me
a racist or a bigot ?

Old 07-30-2007, 09:09 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
Dave Chappel insults blacks as equally as he does everyone else
as far as media personalities go.....
truck with a decal of a little kid pee-ing on something, I move on immediately....
a racist or a bigot ?
Your questions are valid, and illustrate the stubbornness of this whole business of stereotyping. As uncomfortable as it is to admit, and as "mean-spirited" as it sounds, the fact is that there is some basis for most stereotypes, or they wouldn't exist. That is why we don't hear jokes about "Amish gang-bangers"---or "Asian hillbillies"---or "Hasidic Jewish low-riders". These groups either don't exist, or their numbers are so small, that no sterotype would "stick".
It takes thought, intelligence, and good will to separate a stereotype from one's feelings toward a whole race or nationality. But it can be done, and it's our duty (the duty of ALL of us, not just some) to realize that stereotypes are not neccesarily accurate- they're just easy to fall into....

Old 07-30-2007, 09:17 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,104 times
+1
The people who have the most ingrained hatred of fear
of other people I have found have very little experience
with those they fear. Ive lived in 'Barrios'(?) outside of Philly,
had spanish girlfriends etc, and found that culture to be a great
one to be part of. When I see all the hatred directed at spanish
people I have to wonder why, but I see it from a different
perspective. Hate the condition that leads to the problem, not
the person escaping that condition.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:31 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Don Imus, while I don't support what he said, excersized his right to free speech. FREE SPEECH. But since it offended people, all of his sponsors were basically forced by the public (boycotts and picket signs) to drop him. To save face, the company he worked at for like 30 years -FIRED- him. From what I saw, just about every black person that got on TV technically said that "an apology is not enough." While just about every white person said, "If black people can say it, so can white people."
Imus directly insulted a specific and current young woman's athletic team. A real group of young women who did absolutely nothing to deserve being insulted on national radio about the way they look- and in fact a team who could be held up as role models. For anyone who listened to Imus regularly, it was an obvious misspeak. Nonetheless it was done in bad taste. In fact I can honestly say that none of my caucasion friends spoke up in his defense when they understood the conversation and its context.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:22 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
a racist or a bigot ?
Racist, no. Bigot, yes, technically. What you're saying is that you're not tolerant of the lifestyles of those who believe the rebel flag is a "good thing."

But, IMO, pretty much everyone is a bigot, even if it's only to a small degree. I don't think it's possible to be 100% tolerant of everyone's lifestyle. I don't personally know anyone who is.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:27 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Did the 2005 census count the 10million + illegals?
I don't know, you probably need to take that up with the Census.

I can tell you it's not that simple, though. Hispanics can be either black or white, and your figure of 10+ million is no more reliable than the opinion of some guy off the street, since it's not exactly measurable.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:50 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I don't know, you probably need to take that up with the Census.

I can tell you it's not that simple, though. Hispanics can be either black or white, and your figure of 10+ million is no more reliable than the opinion of some guy off the street, since it's not exactly measurable.
I don't know what the number is and neither does the government. I'm just saying that if they are not even estimating in illegal immigrants, then the number of 74.6% would be incorrect.

Also, the census uses what I would call biased figure analysis to come up with racial figures. If someone is 3/4 white and 1/4 black, they will be counted as 1 black. If someone is 9/10 black and 1/10 hispanic, they will be counted as 1 hispanic.

People are automatically sorted into whatever race is more of a minority when more than one box is checked off on a census form. So I honestly don't see the census as being highly accurate. I'm 7/8 white and 1/8 native American and mark both on forms including the census, so I get counted as a native American even though I am mostly white. I could of course just mark white only and then get counted as white, and I think most people that are 3/4 or more one race will typically mark just one race. But there is no way to know how many people choose multiple races and how that affects the final census figures.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:55 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,167 times
As far as black tv shows, they have to pass thru the white owners first. Bet is not black owned or even programmed.

What is racism really?

Blacks said lets live together and equal

Whites said lets not.

How can both groups be guitly of racism when one group doesn't like another because they are racists?

Am I a racist because I hate racist white people?

Most black people don't like whites because of a stereotype that once upon a time very true. (and still is unfortunately, as I have learned)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies