Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 09:53 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,476,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetWarrior View Post
I always had a question nobody could answer, or chose not to answer. Without offending anyone, of course; If I went to a historically black university, would I be eligible for minority scholarship? Or is it minority status as in the big picture, US minorities.
Yes you would. I know whites who have gotten them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamseve918 View Post
I wasn't going to even respond to this but I feel compelled. I live in SoCal and I can say first hand that the only people keeping the "black man" down is himself. Yes white people enslaved black people, but how many years ago was that? Not to say that we must forget, but how long are we going to blame society on how we live now. The education and the jobs are there if you want it. I can have any job a white person can have. There are double standerds when it comes to what white people can say and what they can't and I think that's stupid! I get discriminated against all the time and not by white people either...imagine that! I'm a black woman with a Jewish husband and you wouldn't believe the looks we get sometimes...and on occasion people will actually be so bold as to say things too. It's called reversed racism. It's clyche (sp) and all but I really do wish that we could all just get along! And the whole Don Imus thing was just rediculous! If they fired him then they might as well fire half of the black comedians who make white jokes on a daily. He was a "shock jock" get over it! I'm sure that wasn't the first time those girls had ever been called a "nappy headed hoe." It just so happend the person calling them that was white and now all hell had to break loose. By no means am I saying he was right in what he said, but what makes what he said any different than what Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Jamie Fox, Dave Chappelle or any other great comidians say??? It's just still so sad.
This is a wacky thread. People seem to have no clue. Take one minute and try to the see the world through another's eyes. Don Imus deserved to be fired because he directed a racist comment at "individuals" not a crude stereotype by a comedian. It's just like you calling your own child stupid. You can but nobody else can. There must be a line.

Kill the slavery madness. Don't forget, blacks didn't get the right to vote nationwide until 1965. 1965! Not full citizens until just over 40 years ago or one generation. My grandmother never voted. It takes more than a short 40 years to correct a segragated system that this country was founded on. One that was designed to hold minorities down and elevate whites. Just the simple truth. (Like Chris Rock said, you got a 400 year head start!) The fact is, new immigrants, especially those who have white skin don't have the stigma of native born african-americans. Many whites today who feel the playing field being equalled are fighting to step on the backs of the new immigrants. Funny how defensive folks get when they lose a little power.

Yeah, blacks bring some of their blight upon themselves but the system has NEVER been equal. Many of us have risen but the system still isn't EQUAL. It's crazy when whites say, I don't see racism. Generally, you're not going to see what's not directed at you especially when you're clueless. I guess many just walk through life only seeing what's good about themselves, never stopping to smell their own poop.

Why is an opinionated black man angry and volitale while an opinionated white man is confident and assertive? I've never understood that. Oh..maybe it's that stigma thing or another way to demonize others and elevate yourself. The term "angry black man" has been used for years as an easy way to discredit everything we say.

Guess I'll go look for all these new black sitcoms that seem to be out there.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:27 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Yes you would. I know whites who have gotten them.
Thanks Tank, you get a rep. point for that.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:16 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,219,968 times
Quote:
This is a wacky thread. People seem to have no clue. Take one minute and try to the see the world through another's eyes. Don Imus deserved to be fired because he directed a racist comment at "individuals" not a crude stereotype by a comedian. It's just like you calling your own child stupid. You can but nobody else can. There must be a line.

Kill the slavery madness. Don't forget, blacks didn't get the right to vote nationwide until 1965. 1965! Not full citizens until just over 40 years ago or one generation. My grandmother never voted. It takes more than a short 40 years to correct a segragated system that this country was founded on. One that was designed to hold minorities down and elevate whites. Just the simple truth. (Like Chris Rock said, you got a 400 year head start!) The fact is, new immigrants, especially those who have white skin don't have the stigma of native born african-americans. Many whites today who feel the playing field being equalled are fighting to step on the backs of the new immigrants. Funny how defensive folks get when they lose a little power.

Yeah, blacks bring some of their blight upon themselves but the system has NEVER been equal. Many of us have risen but the system still isn't EQUAL. It's crazy when whites say, I don't see racism. Generally, you're not going to see what's not directed at you especially when you're clueless. I guess many just walk through life only seeing what's good about themselves, never stopping to smell their own poop.

Why is an opinionated black man angry and volitale while an opinionated white man is confident and assertive? I've never understood that. Oh..maybe it's that stigma thing or another way to demonize others and elevate yourself. The term "angry black man" has been used for years as an easy way to discredit everything we say.

Guess I'll go look for all these new black sitcoms that seem to be out there.

You make some good points but your wasting time I'm afraid to say. Some people don't have empathy for common day problems in the AA community even though it was architectured through bigotry and segregation decades ago. To even see where AA community is today is amazing to me considering the short time thats passed since civil rights act. I'm looking real forward to te next 50 and its only gonna get better when these stupid backwards baby boomers die..........

Old 08-01-2007, 05:58 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Please..Every show you named that is not a Court show with one black Judge has been canceled. Not one current (sitcom) show on broadcast T.V. Thanks for proving my point.

With WET consisting of 900 or more stations, why does BET have to have a white themed show. Get a grip!

Actually, I took those shows from the CURRENT lineup on CW. A few of them I actually watch. And CW also shows some of the WAY older shows, even though they are re-runs, such as Family Matters.

You WANT to think that all channels are "WET." Therefore you are going to see every channel as WET. It's not that black people may not want to be on soaps or other silly shows... oh no. Not at all.

Then again. I've watched BET to see what they actually do. Sundays is all church day.. nothing good to watch for non-religious black people. And all throughout the weekdays and saturdays, it's bad music videos, old shows, new shows that make no sense, and just about nothing entertaining.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Actually, I took those shows from the CURRENT lineup on CW. A few of them I actually watch. And CW also shows some of the WAY older shows, even though they are re-runs, such as Family Matters.

You WANT to think that all channels are "WET." Therefore you are going to see every channel as WET. It's not that black people may not want to be on soaps or other silly shows... oh no. Not at all.

Then again. I've watched BET to see what they actually do. Sundays is all church day.. nothing good to watch for non-religious black people. And all throughout the weekdays and saturdays, it's bad music videos, old shows, new shows that make no sense, and just about nothing entertaining.
What shows on your list are not in syndication? None.. Just because BET isn't for you doesn't mean it's not for anybody. Some people like Church, music videos, old shows and shows that don't make sense to YOU.

Trust me, YOU don't make sense to a lot of people. Try for one day to extract yourself from your bubble and visit the real world. The world the isn't all about you and your issues and beliefs.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:38 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,167 times
Great input Wally! Keep up the good work!

Old 08-01-2007, 07:22 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,626 times
My Question is this: When is slavery ever right?

400 years from now?

4,000 years from now?

4,000,000 years from now?

Here's my take, we should do everything we possibly can to bring The African-American community into the American Dream. Nothing less. Better schools, more job oppertunites, home ownership, more entrepenureship, soild communites.

However, at some point, when we as a nation can look back and say everyone has an equal shot, when is the AA community going to bury the hatchet and say "You know what? We've won the race".

Is racism non-existant? no, and it will never be. However, it is increasingly irrelevant in a diversified world. To say "nothing has changed" is to completely **** all over the accomplishments of King, Malcom, Rosa, etc...

Old 08-02-2007, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
My Question is this: When is slavery ever right?

400 years from now?

4,000 years from now?

4,000,000 years from now?

Here's my take, we should do everything we possibly can to bring The African-American community into the American Dream. Nothing less. Better schools, more job oppertunites, home ownership, more entrepenureship, soild communites.

However, at some point, when we as a nation can look back and say everyone has an equal shot, when is the AA community going to bury the hatchet and say "You know what? We've won the race".

Is racism non-existant? no, and it will never be. However, it is increasingly irrelevant in a diversified world. To say "nothing has changed" is to completely **** all over the accomplishments of King, Malcom, Rosa, etc...
In years to come racism will hopefully become increasingly irrelevant but today it remains totally relavant. I always get the impression that whites want everybody to quickly forget their ills (bury the hatchet). Not only in this country but the ills perpertrated around the world. You can't plan for the future until you understand your past and many, many whites appear to be utterly clueless when it comes to the real history of this country. "Bury the hatchet", "Get over it", "Move on" etc.. are all easy phrases to spout when you're not the one on the short end. Imagine someone molesting YOUR child for 10 years, then telling you to "get over it" or "bury the hatchet". That's crazy. With the institutional racism that remains promenent in this counrty it's no where near time to stop the fight or educating everybody especially the majority.

Sometimes the hardest thing to do in life is to examine your own shady past. I've noticed that whites urge blacks to look to the future. It's probably because whites know that black history in the U.S. basically consist of slavery, segragation etc. at the hands and feet of whites. On the other, they're quick to talk about Columbus and the rest of white(positive) history albeit much of it false.

Smelling your own crap is a great educational tool.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:54 AM

435 posts, read 1,520,626 times
Quote:
In years to come racism will hopefully become increasingly irrelevant but today it remains totally relavant. I always get the impression that whites want everybody to quickly forget their ills (bury the hatchet). Not only in this country but the ills perpertrated around the world. You can't plan for the future until you understand your past and many, many whites appear to be utterly clueless when it comes to the real history of this country. "Bury the hatchet", "Get over it", "Move on" etc.. are all easy phrases to spout when you're not the one on the short end. Imagine someone molesting YOUR child for 10 years, then telling you to "get over it" or "bury the hatchet". That's crazy. With the institutional racism that remains promenent in this counrty it's no where near time to stop the fight or educating everybody especially the majority.

Sometimes the hardest thing to do in life is to examine your own shady past. I've noticed that whites urge blacks to look to the future. It's probably because whites know that black history in the U.S. basically consist of slavery, segragation etc. at the hands and feet of whites. On the other, they're quick to talk about Columbus and the rest of white(positive) history albeit much of it false.

Smelling your own crap is a great educational tool.
What do you want? Want to enslave white people? "Get Even"? Guess what, Hitler thought the Jews we're after him, so he created "The final solution". Is that what you desire?

Is there racism, sure there is. But it's far less than even 20 years ago. 83% of people fully support interracial marriage. More AAs go to college than jail. AA poverty rates drop every decade. AA police are becoming more prominent.

As far as comparing White people to child molesters (thanks, BTW), that molester will die, just like the slave owners. As a generation Y person, I feel my generation is extremely tolerant and shouldn't be cast with the blame for people's failings.

Sorry buddy, With all the mixed-couples, AA college graduates, and homeowners out there, the "Slave" addage is becoming irrelevant. Either you believe your stronger than hate, or you succumb to hate, which makes you no better than the people who hate you......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies