Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 05:04 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times

Advertisements

How ironic: this is certainly a mockery, of a travesty, of a ..... well you get the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
This kid is in classes for kids who do exactly what he did. Flip out and threaten kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 09:20 PM

4,420 posts, read 5,151,002 times
There's a reason minors are treated differently by our legal system. Sure the kid is out of control, but he legally is not responsible for his own actions. Prepubescent children's actions are basically mirror reactions of what they see from adults. Now if he has mental impairments, that's a whole different story. The tough choice for the cops is that there is no way for them to know if the kid did have any mental disabilities of the cuff. Alot of you on here also fail to realize police officers are very well trained to handle combative individuals if they don't have access to guns, tasers, pepper spray etc.. Two cops could have very easily distracted and subdued this 8 year old without any harm to him or them. One could have circled around him or distracted him with gestures. You've got to be a big pansy to think any 8 year old is totally responsible for their actions as to warrent using projectile weapons against them. Just another example of people losing patience so easily and lacking even the most moderate level of mental aptitude in dealing with children.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:13 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
There's a reason minors are treated differently by our legal system. Sure the kid is out of control, but he legally is not responsible for his own actions. Prepubescent children's actions are basically mirror reactions of what they see from adults. Now if he has mental impairments, that's a whole different story. The tough choice for the cops is that there is no way for them to know if the kid did have any mental disabilities of the cuff. Alot of you on here also fail to realize police officers are very well trained to handle combative individuals if they don't have access to guns, tasers, pepper spray etc.. Two cops could have very easily distracted and subdued this 8 year old without any harm to him or them. One could have circled around him or distracted him with gestures. You've got to be a big pansy to think any 8 year old is totally responsible for their actions as to warrent using projectile weapons against them. Just another example of people losing patience so easily and lacking even the most moderate level of mental aptitude in dealing with children.
Since you weren't there and didn't see what the officers were faced with, I think it's safe to say that you don't really know what you're talking about. But it feels good to have opinions.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:32 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,082 times
The positives: no one got injured, the situation was easily resolved, and a misbehaving brat learns that inappropriate actions can have painful consequences.

Unfortunately Mom is using this as an opportunity to play victim instead of apologizing profusely for the behavior of her offspring.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 PM

I've seen people in authority throw their weight around and abuse power like angry little toddlers without any consequences. Ironic right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
The positives: no one got injured, the situation was easily resolved, and a misbehaving brat learns that inappropriate actions can have painful consequences.

Unfortunately Mom is using this as an opportunity to play victim instead of apologizing profusely for the behavior of her offspring.

Last edited by artsyguy; 04-07-2011 at 10:49 PM..

Old 04-07-2011, 10:43 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,578 times
Quote:
Imagine if this had happened in Japan . . .

Old 04-07-2011, 10:45 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
If it did it wouldn't be in the news! Mom would die of shame!

Old 04-07-2011, 10:46 PM

Well, in Japan people commit suicide all the time no thanks to tough social pressures and classism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Because when they play the victim they get so much in return. Nobody believes these people are playing victim except for you. The big picture is that the school is incompetent. Shouldn't his behaviors be improving? If the school is so wonderful why is this kid still acting strangely? Nobody wants to ask the tough questions: they want everyone to focus on the "lunatic child" that pointed a stick at an officer and used the "f word". Seriously, the bigger picture is what counts here. This is also a catalyst where more and more people are going to be advocating for tougher prison sentences for children because some children are just rancid little lunatics who use the "f word" and point sticks at people.

Quote:

Old 04-08-2011, 07:01 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Well, in Japan people commit suicide all the time no thanks to tough social pressures and classism.

Because when they play the victim they get so much in return. Nobody believes these people are playing victim except for you. The big picture is that the school is incompetent. Shouldn't his behaviors be improving? If the school is so wonderful why is this kid still acting strangely? Nobody wants to ask the tough questions: they want everyone to focus on the "lunatic child" that pointed a stick at an officer and used the "f word". Seriously, the bigger picture is what counts here. This is also a catalyst where more and more people are going to be advocating for tougher prison sentences for children because some children are just rancid little lunatics who use the "f word" and point sticks at people.
Why is the SCHOOL incompetent? Their job is the teach Reading, Writing and Arithmetic. Since when is it their job to teach manners, responsibility for ones actions, corrrect behavior issues, let alone teach respect for others. That's the job of the PARENTS.. (Yes, please note, that is an "S" on the end of that word, as in PLURAL.)

I can guarantee that at 8 years old MY children didn't use the "F" word, and I am sure that when my children's children are 8, THEY won't be using that word either.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:10 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
In a court of law you have to be nicely dressed and you have to speak in a polite fashion when addressed in a courtroom: if not the prosecutor, the judge, and or jury are likely to be unforgiving and spiteful in the case of a conviction: remember they all determine the sentencing. So if you show up to court in shorts, tank top, and use angry swear words when addressing the courtroom it is likely they will become more spiteful and vengeful.
My point was how people are not as they want to appear in front of others when it is convenient for thei advantage. I brought this up because even though I did not see the boy on TV he was probably nicely dressed to appear so inocent and harmless. That does not take away the fact that often many of the people on appearing before the court are not what they want to portray. I am not denying what you said. Either my point was not very clear or you missed it. I am aware why people show in courts the way they do. I have been to many court cases testifying on behalf of neglected and abused children.

Video sampling is not the end and be all of court evidence. People who feel victimized by the police have every right to voice their complaints: it's a free country to voice complaints and the police have much undue influence over people considering their training, their skills, their power, their ability to intimidate, etc.
Seems you took my comment the wrong way. Ease up, OK. Did I say people do not have the right to voice complaints? No, so no need to address that to me. Did I say it is not a free country? No, so the same comment.
Police have much undue influence ever people? I am sure they do have influence and as in any group there are those that abuse it. However, it is good to keep an objective view on the issue and point BOTH sides on issues like this one.
Should they be able to intimidate as a tactic, why not when at times a single cop has to face three or four individuals.
The concept here for them to stop the threat in front of them. They are not obligate it to do so with equal force or level of threat.
Example: If an individual tell a cop "I am going to show you what a black belt can do to you". Is the coupe not suppose to take his gun or taser to stop the threat because after all the guy is only using his hands? No. He has the legal right to use force above the level of the threat. In the Citizens Police Academy course I am attending I had a closer look of what cops go through every day and overall they do handle things as best and appropriately as they can. Yes, some may not do their best. Some may not have a good day and go further than required. You want them to stop being human? I am sure you have had bad days in your life and was a jerk with someone out there whether at work or in the office and also acted in a way you may regret. Some of the cops may not have acted properly but in many cases they still were within the law.

Also, whatever training and video courses that the Police Academy show you will always be biased and in favor of the police department.
And on the other side I am sure it is also biased. So I see BOTH sides of the issue. It provides a balance.
It's indoctrination.
It works in every area. I can say YOU are indoctrinated by the way you come across with your comments. You give the impression of having a negative bias toward law enfocement personnel. In my case I simply am saying there is another side of the picture, I show it BUT ALSO PRESENT THE POINT THERE ARE THOSE THAT DO ABUSE THEIR AUTHORITY. Did you present in your comment there are those that do comply with the law and that there are good cops? No.
You aren't meant to question, challenge, criticize, judge, or request wider or more detailed information with regard to the information they provide you.
You give me the impression that if you face a cop you may be the argumentative type. Nothing wrong with that. The point I do not know how you argue your point. Are you the contemptous type? I venture to say you will say no, that you are polite and ask them questions in a nice and respectful way. Well, in all my years I have never face a cop that is a jerk. I make sure to respect the uniform they was as law enforcement official. Some people believe they can call them all kinds of names on the book and scream at them, etc. and still expect kindness and gentleness as they are also a potential threat. Actually they take a lot more than let us say a judge. Talk to a judge the way many talk to the cops and see what happens in a heart beat.
You are simply there to agree with everything they present to you.
No, you are not there to agree with what they present. They will tell you the date of your court day if they give you a speeding ticket. They are not the judge or jury to decide the point. However, many are out there arguing with the cop. He determined you were speeding and you do not feel you did. Signing the ticket simply means he detained you and you can have your day in court. From his side he can see you the same arguing and arguing and listening to all kinds of excuses. They have heard them all. I was not a cop but I was a First Sergeant in the Army for 4 years and you hear all kinds of excuses from your Soldiers when they break regulations and laws. I have in my office a framed saying I used to have when I was in the Army. "Do not cofuse listening with compliance". You tell a cop your disagreement and he may have heard you but because he did not agree with you most likely will tell everybody he did not listen to you and they don't care. I have seen that a lot in my life with loved ones, in the Army and work peers.
It's about you "learning" that authorities can never make mistakes and that you cannot trust your neighbor or your neighbors' kids because everyone is bad or that there is a big bad lunatic waiting to stalk and kill you.
What does that have to do with the point in discussion?
What does the stalking issue have to do with cops and authority?
You may have issues that just surfaced.

Authorities do make mistakes. At the academy the instructors have told us they are human and they do make mistakes. They also comment there great cops and there are some marginals ones. You have that in everywhere in society at work, church, the Armed Forces, in corporations, in politicians, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies