Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 11:34 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times

Advertisements

Folks, let's be honest, how many people here have actually had to restrain ANYONE, that didn't want to be restrained?

If you have, then you KNOW it's not an easy task. Now let's ARM the little rascal and NOW try to restrain them, without injuring them, cause remember, "Mommy's gonna be mad if you bruise little Johnny trying to restrain him".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 11:36 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
The kid's mother is seriously in denial. What kind of attitude is that?
Much too often, i realize yes that parenting is not easy, but too many Parents make way too many excuses for their children, when in reality in doing so, you are the problem!

I have known in the past Parents that have the not so cute little johnny, but everything little johnny seems to be doing that is wrong, and bad, to the parents is cute, and they explain these bad actions away, when in reality, they are part of the problem with the child, but they do not see it this way thinking that all kids act this way, sometmes the parents need better parenting skills.

Last edited by california-jewel; 04-06-2011 at 11:46 AM..

Old 04-06-2011, 11:36 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
yup. when my nephew was an infant and wasn't in the mood to be held, he'd make his body stiff as a board and oh my goodness, what strength!

Old 04-06-2011, 11:45 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
No no no, that's not what you say. Here's what you're supposed to say,

"Aidan, please don't stab me with that stick of wood, okay?"

Or,

"Aidan, would you like to stab me with a ruler or a pencil today? Which will it be? You get to choose."

(modern day parenting philosophy, brought to you by the psych "experts")
lol, sounds about right.

imo, this was a perfect occasion to use pepper spray. i'll bet the little hoodlum curled up like a fishing worm.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:08 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Folks, let's be honest, how many people here have actually had to restrain ANYONE, that didn't want to be restrained?

If you have, then you KNOW it's not an easy task. Now let's ARM the little rascal and NOW try to restrain them, without injuring them, cause remember, "Mommy's gonna be mad if you bruise little Johnny trying to restrain him".

As a retired cop, I can tell you that once adrenaline kicks in, people, I don't care how small they are, can get pretty strong, add a weapon, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:22 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
BS ... the average 8 year old is under 4 feet tall and weighs less than 60 pounds. Any semi-competent adult would be able to bring him under control without resorting to pepper spray, etc.

How exactly? I could certainly take down a little kid with a puch or a kick easily even if he had a stick. How is that better? The kid had a stick and could have stabbed someone if they tried to grapple with him. The risk of injury would have been greater to everyone involved if they had chosen other methods.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:23 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Default Nod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
As a retired cop, I can tell you that once adrenaline kicks in, people, I don't care how small they are, can get pretty strong, add a weapon, and you have a recipe for disaster.
As a retired police officer, you would know. When someone is hell-bent on not being stopped, it is extremely difficult to stop them, child OR adult.. Add a weapon, and I can guarantee you that it has the makings of an ugly scenario.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:57 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Again- EXACTLY what alternative would you suggest?
He was a second grader! 8 years old! You walk up and grab him by the wrist and take the wood away. Then you march him down to the principal’s office.
What you do not do, is resort to using a weapon on a child. Any grown man who feels he needs to use a weapon on an 8 year old is a coward and does not deserve a position of power. This is the kind of idiot who shoots a guy sitting on his porch with a garden hose and says it was a weapon.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:02 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
He was a second grader! 8 years old! You walk up and grab him by the wrist and take the wood away. Then you march him down to the principal’s office.
What you do not do, is resort to using a weapon on a child. Any grown man who feels he needs to use a weapon on an 8 year old is a coward and does not deserve a position of power. This is the kind of idiot who shoots a guy sitting on his porch with a garden hose and says it was a weapon.
That's rich.

And when you break the struggling kid's wrist, mommy sues.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:08 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
He was a second grader! 8 years old!
And? You've never dealt with a 8 year old on a violent streak, have you?

Quote:
You walk up and grab him by the wrist and take the wood away.
And get stabbed while doing so, and the strength you put out while restraining said child results in more injuries and lawsuits than using pepper spray.

Quote:
Then you march him down to the principal’s office.
Yeah! A slap on the hand! That'll teach him responsibility!

Also note:

You wouldn't be "marching" him. You'd be "dragging" him. Which would result in even more injury.

Quote:
What you do not do, is resort to using a weapon on a child.
A rather enraged child with a sharp weapon himself. Where using restraining force would result in more injury.

Quote:
Any grown man who feels he needs to use a weapon on an 8 year old is a coward and does not deserve a position of power. This is the kind of idiot who shoots a guy sitting on his porch with a garden hose and says it was a weapon.
It's people with mindsets like this, people who have no idea whatsoever how to actually react in situations like this, that are part of the problem with kids being out of control.

This cop did what was right. The method he took resulted in the least amount of injury.

Why do people keep on saying the cop should have restrained the kid, and taken the method that results in further harm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies