Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:31 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times

Advertisements

Market forces at work

"With home prices falling, fewer people employed, and every economic indicator on the dashboard flashing red, deflation has started to become a big enough worry that the Fed has adjusted its monetary policy to account for it. There are no such worries in the used-car industry, however. Prices have jumped 10% overall and in some cases as much as a third for used cars, thanks not to demand as much as a restricted supply after the government destroyed billions of dollars in assets as part of its Cash for Clunkers program last year ...."

..."The top four vehicles for price increases in Edmunds’ used-car tracking are all high-end, larger cars or SUV:

•Cadillac Escalade – 35.6% increase
•Chevy Suburban – +34.2%
•Dodge Grand Caravan – +34%
•BMW X5 – +33%
....."

Hot Air » Used car prices skyrocket a year after Cash for Clunkers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 03:36 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,810,134 times
Housing may not be doing good, but at least i know i can get more for my car

Old 08-25-2010, 03:52 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Market forces at work

"With home prices falling, fewer people employed, and every economic indicator on the dashboard flashing red, deflation has started to become a big enough worry that the Fed has adjusted its monetary policy to account for it. There are no such worries in the used-car industry, however. Prices have jumped 10% overall and in some cases as much as a third for used cars, thanks not to demand as much as a restricted supply after the government destroyed billions of dollars in assets as part of its Cash for Clunkers program last year ...."

..."The top four vehicles for price increases in Edmunds’ used-car tracking are all high-end, larger cars or SUV:

•Chevy Suburban – +34.2%
•BMW X5 – +33%....."

Hot Air » Used car prices skyrocket a year after Cash for Clunkers
That's great. Who is most likely to buy a used car instead of a new one?

Obama taxing the poor again. Change we can believe in.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:11 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Housing may not be doing good, but at least i know i can get more for my car
I picked up an '03, low milage Mercury Grand Marquis last year. I can't believe what they're going for now. I've driven it a year and could make a profit if I sold it.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:22 PM

2,618 posts, read 3,148,515 times
I see it's been a few months since the last post. We are searching the market for a good used vehicle and I see prices I can't believe. Our last purchase was a '99 Odyssey minivan. We bought in in 2005 for about 12,000 I think. 6 year old Hondas & Toyotas are now going for $20,000, some closer to $30,000. It's hard to find a base model without lots of extras too.

Somewhere, among all those "clunkers" that were destroyed, we may have found our affordable vehicle. My business has mostly been slow, barely breaking even for 2 years. My wife's check is stretched to the max.

Thanks Obama, I appreciate your help. Do me a favor and don't help me any more.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:45 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
I hear this is great for poor people who are looking for an affordable set of wheels.

Thanks Obama!

Old 04-03-2011, 06:50 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Our local Chevy dealer still has 200 or more cars on his back lot that team Obama has yet to pay him for.

The worst thing about it is many of these cars were NOT clunkers.

Thanks Obama for screwing up yet another good thing.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:19 PM

45,223 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Can you say "unintended consequences"?
All in all just another day of resource destruction and wealth redistribution from our bureaucrats at central planning.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Market forces at work

•Chevy Suburban – +34.2%
•BMW X5 – +33%
....."
Obama Derangement Syndrome Symptom #34012

Obama depriving the poor from buy a used Cadillac Escalades, Chevy Suburban or a BMW X5s, what's next? Keeping the poor from buying steak with food stamps? Oh, right that's the other thread. My bad.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:47 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,412,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
I see it's been a few months since the last post. We are searching the market for a good used vehicle and I see prices I can't believe. Our last purchase was a '99 Odyssey minivan. We bought in in 2005 for about 12,000 I think. 6 year old Hondas & Toyotas are now going for $20,000, some closer to $30,000. It's hard to find a base model without lots of extras too.
A quick look at Craigslist for the Raleigh/Durham area shows 2006 Honda Odysseys going for anywhere from $12K to $18K, and 2006 Toyota Sienna's for $13K to $19K.

raleigh cars & trucks - all classifieds "2006 honda odyssey" - craigslist

raleigh cars & trucks - all classifieds "2006 toyota sienna" - craigslist

Funny, that's not the $20K to $30K range you claimed.

So what was your point again?

Quote:
Somewhere, among all those "clunkers" that were destroyed, we may have found our affordable vehicle. My business has mostly been slow, barely breaking even for 2 years. My wife's check is stretched to the max.

Thanks Obama, I appreciate your help. Do me a favor and don't help me any more.
Oh, yeah...a swipe at Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies