Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 08:29 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,733,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
way off

the defense budget INCLUDING iraq and afgan is 679 billion dollars

medicare and caid together are nearly 800 billion

yes defense needs to be cut( by about 20%) ..but not the troops, or their housing.. cut the brass and the politics

Actually, defense spending as a percent of GDP is at an all time low. But, we should still close all foreign bases and cut their budget 50%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 08:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Actually, defense spending as a percent of GDP is at an all time low. But, we should still close all foreign bases and cut their budget 50%.
Please provide some documentation for that statement.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:35 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,411,310 times
I am on the fence regarding military cuts but I wonder how many people will become employed enmasse if we make cuts in the military.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:37 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,562 times
because war is good business for the interests that have their fingers in our governments pockets.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:37 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
It's not on the table for the same reason they don't put raise taxes on the super wealthy---they aren't really serious about reducing the national debt.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:41 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,923,463 times
It's big business - the "military industrial complex." I agree with you 100% that cuts should be made. Our representatives, across the board are basically spineless - the public is apathetic - the country is run by special interests and no one has the balls to do anything.

There is no such thing as an investigative reporter in the U.S. anymore. News is pablum - never a call to action - at least during the Viet Nam war at dinner time on the news you would actually see carnage and the bodies being brought back in bags - that is why the public finally demanded the war end. You couldn't ignore it because it was in your face - now, no one has to even think about what we are doing all over the world.

The troops are just pawns in a sick game . . .

Old 04-06-2011, 08:48 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,303,886 times
With the world in total chaos and the invasion of illegals from Mexico and radical muslims who want to kill Americans and the American way of life why in the world would you want to cut our military.

For me, we need more military.

We need to place them on the Mexican border and arm them to no end.

Military would be the last thing I would ever cut.

I would make sure their is no waste but I would never cut those who protect us and our freedoms.

Especially with the two groups I mentioned above doing whatever they can do hurt America.

With China growing their military and Russia going back to building a stronger military it would be insane and stupid to cut our military.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:00 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,010 times
Radical Muslims wouldn't be attacking us if we weren't attacking them. If I go in your house and start breaking stuff, I'd expect some retaliation.

The Taliban is not a threat to us so long as we get out of their house breaking their stuff. Al Qaeda sure, but we don't need the amount of military we have for that.

And we spend almost 50% of all the defense spending in the world. Overkill so say the least.

If we close our base in Germany, the Russians aren't gonna go storming in. Same with the base in japan. End these unwinable pointless wars. Downsize. Start protecting America, not attacking others.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:04 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
The military has the lowest cost to benefit ratio. We put billions into it and we get little out of it. And this isn't a troop knocking thread, so no one throw that at me. I can support the troops and there safety, but decry the sum of their actions and the way they are used, and make no mistake, they are being used.

The military, just like everything else is suppose to provide a service, and I'm not exactly sure what service the military is providing to America right now.
The sacred cow that can not be touched. No politician has the internal fortitude to take on military spending except maybe Bernie Sanders, Dennis Kuicinich and Ron Paul.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:06 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
For post WWII spending it is close. As compared to Pre War spending the 2010 defense budget is almost 4 times the %GDP the 1927 defense budget was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies