Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:58 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Only our wise and reasonable government should be armed.

Signed,
a loyal American subject
That's a hell of a point!

Still, I'm a subscriber to the school of thought that the less guns, the better. I'm fine with people wanting to go hunting, etc. I don't even mind people having guns in their home. You have the right to protect your property. However I don't think civilians should have the right to walk around a town or city packing heat. If people are that outraged about this and are to the point where they can't walk down the street without a gun, then just stay indoors with your legally attained weapon aimed at the door.

I really, really don't understand why people think if everyone had guns, there would be no crime. All I can think of is what would happen in a bar fight...drunk idiots now are usually only armed with fists and maybe a pool cue or bottle. In this scenario they would all have 9mm pistols.

What a genius plan. That's gonna end well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 08:33 AM

859 posts, read 2,829,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
So you wanna arm the kids with guns then? Or the teachers? The Lunch Lady? More trained law enforcement officers could have prevented this. Not letting every random jackass who thinks themself Rambo have a gun and the thought that it's okay to go firing.

You gonna spend the money training people how and when to use these weapons or are you just going to give it to them and cut them loose? I'm not one to limit guns, but saying that if the school had been armed this would have been safer is retarded.
Arming law abiding citizens is the answer. Should we arm the teachers. I say yes. If they are law abiding citizens with the required training then they should have the right to defend themselves and others.. An increase in law enforcement would not have helped as the odds of one of them being on site at the time is highly unlikely.

Most states that have CCW rights do require training and the cost of this training is paid by the individual not the state. If there was a trained, armed civilian on site the odds would have at least been even.

When someone threatens your life go run for cover and call your precious police department. Hope they make it to you in time.

Average police response time in urban areas is 3 to 5 minutes. During the columbine shootings the first reports of a man with a gun was reported at 11:14am. The call went into police at 11:19am and the first officer arrived at 11:26am. Tell me again how police will be there to protect you!!!!!

Remember folks. When seconds count the police are minutes away. Fight for your 2nd amendment rights. Fight for the right to defend yourself, your family and those around you that are unprepared to defend themselves. The police simply won't be there in time.

On a lighter note. Arming the lunch lady.. I don't know about that. Our lunch lady was mean enough on her own. We were all pretty sure she was satan so a few shots might not have affected her Besides she looked a little too unstable to carry.

Last edited by johna01374; 05-09-2011 at 08:41 AM..

Old 05-09-2011, 08:56 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
Arming law abiding citizens is the answer. Should we arm the teachers. I say yes. If they are law abiding citizens with the required training then they should have the right to defend themselves and others...

...Most states that have CCW rights do require training and the cost of this training is paid by the individual not the state...
I totally agree about training if a person is to carry a weapon. The question is how much and what kind of training.

And another thing: if training becomes a problem monetarily for individuals, will it be become (maybe it has) a type of back door gun control?

Old 05-09-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
That's a hell of a point!

Still, I'm a subscriber to the school of thought that the less guns, the better. I'm fine with people wanting to go hunting, etc. I don't even mind people having guns in their home. You have the right to protect your property. However I don't think civilians should have the right to walk around a town or city packing heat. If people are that outraged about this and are to the point where they can't walk down the street without a gun, then just stay indoors with your legally attained weapon aimed at the door.

I really, really don't understand why people think if everyone had guns, there would be no crime. All I can think of is what would happen in a bar fight...drunk idiots now are usually only armed with fists and maybe a pool cue or bottle. In this scenario they would all have 9mm pistols.

What a genius plan. That's gonna end well.

In a perfect world your thinking would be spot on. The less guns the better. If we could get all of the gang members, burglars, car jackers etc to turn over their guns then the world would be a better place. Unfortunately we don't live in that perfect world and out in the real world there are millions of guns on the streets and they are in the hands of people that don't care about gun laws. I live just north of Chicago. Chicago has a hand gun band. You are not allowed to own a hand gun within the city limits. End of story, no way around it. Yet the inner city has the highest ranking for gun violence in the entire country.

The surrounding burbs do not have hand gun bands and crime is 50-60-70 times lower. I an't tell you the last time someone was shot in my town yet there where two reports on the news this morning about the inner city.

Why do we all believe that crime will go down if we allow citizens to arm themselves? It has proven itself effective in 48 other states. IL and WI are the only two states in the entire county that do not allow some forum of conceded carry and WI just approved OPEN carry.

In dozens of states there have been marked reduction in violent crimes, crimes against people and home invasions immediately following the approval of concealed carry. To top it all off there have been none of these wild west shoot outs or drunken shootings that the anti gun folks would lead you to believe will happen.

Tmac - I'd love to live in a perfect world but I doubt it's going to happen in my life time so until then we need to be prepared to defend ourselves, our loved ones and those around us who can not defend themselves. There are an aweful lot of people out there that are looking to do harm to "good" (easy prey) people.

Last edited by johna01374; 05-09-2011 at 09:14 AM..

Old 05-09-2011, 09:11 AM

Old 05-09-2011, 09:20 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:

I don't want people to misunderstand me. I don't want CC to be given to every tom, dick and harry out there. It should be a right that is given to responsible, law abiding citizens that have passed an extensive back ground check and have received the proper training. This individuals that can meet the necessary requirements should have the right to carry.
That's Texas rules. And there is a renewal class as well. Long time holders with no problems are exempt up to 10 years but have to take a renewal class that 10th year.

And the training class (10-15 hours) is given by DPS trained instructors.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's Texas rules. And there is a renewal class as well. Long time holders with no problems are exempt up to 10 years but have to take a renewal class that 10th year.

And the training class (10-15 hours) is given by DPS trained instructors.
Perfect. This is the way it should be. I'm hoping that someday out politician come their senses here in IL and allow CC. If it doesn't happen soon I'm heading somewhere that does allow it.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:45 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
So you wanna arm the kids with guns then? Or the teachers? The Lunch Lady? More trained law enforcement officers could have prevented this. Not letting every random jackass who thinks themself Rambo have a gun and the thought that it's okay to go firing.

You gonna spend the money training people how and when to use these weapons or are you just going to give it to them and cut them loose? I'm not one to limit guns, but saying that if the school had been armed this would have been safer is retarded.
Emotional appeals. Nothing you said was rational. Try again.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:30 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Good thing that can't happen here since schools are gun-free zones.

12 killed in Brazil school shooting - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Aye. Good thing. How can you have 11 thousand posts and your rep be so low.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:42 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
In a perfect world your thinking would be spot on. The less guns the better. If we could get all of the gang members, burglars, car jackers etc to turn over their guns then the world would be a better place. Unfortunately we don't live in that perfect world and out in the real world there are millions of guns on the streets and they are in the hands of people that don't care about gun laws. I live just north of Chicago. Chicago has a hand gun band. You are not allowed to own a hand gun within the city limits. End of story, no way around it. Yet the inner city has the highest ranking for gun violence in the entire country.
Yea, but the state of Illinois is among the lowest...Gun Death Rates by State...here's the gun ownership by state. So there may be a great deal of illegally carried weapons in some cities...but there appears to be a direct correlation of gun ownership and death rates by guns.

Quote:
The surrounding burbs do not have hand gun bands and crime is 50-60-70 times lower. I an't tell you the last time someone was shot in my town yet there where two reports on the news this morning about the inner city.
There's more that plays into this than who is allowed to have guns and who isn't. You're talking about one of the most violent cities in the country...then you're comparing the city's statistics to the North Side suburbs, which rank among the most affluent in the entire country.

You're really surprised the poor black kids in the cities are killing each other and the rich white kids aren't?

Quote:
Why do we all believe that crime will go down if we allow citizens to arm themselves? It has proven itself effective in 48 other states.
Well look at the stats I've posted. Certain states may not have strong gun laws, but the states with the lowest gun ownership have the lowest amount of gun-related deaths.

Quote:
To top it all off there have been none of these wild west shoot outs or drunken shootings that the anti gun folks would lead you to believe will happen.
I'm not talking about allowing people to carry guns...I'm talking about the group of people that feel it is a person's responsibility to carry a gun. I can always tell someone is reasonable when I ask them this question and they laugh.
Quote:
Tmac - I'd love to live in a perfect world but I doubt it's going to happen in my life time so until then we need to be prepared to defend ourselves, our loved ones and those around us who can not defend themselves. There are an aweful lot of people out there that are looking to do harm to "good" (easy prey) people.
Are they though? I know crime can happen to anyone...but I feel most murders in cities are drug-related and often involve rival gangs, etc. This isn't to dismiss the danger normal people may face...but I just can't subscribe to the thought that everyone should be walking around packing heat because there could be "dangerous people" around.

What are you going to do if you're walking down the street with your trusty Smith & Wesson on your belt, but someone comes up behind you and sticks a gun in your back? Are you gonna bust out a roll, quick draw and unload onto your assailant? Odds are two seconds after you decide you're James Bond you're going to have an ass full of lead. The more reasonable thing to do is just give the person what they want, cancel your cards, etc.

Maybe some think I'm naive for thinking this, but I can just as easily call you an alarmist.

One thing is for sure, using Brasil as the basis of a "gun control doesn't work" argument is among the stupidest things I've ever seen in my life. As I said in a previous post, if you think that holds any bearing, you obviously know nothing about Brasil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies