Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2011, 01:23 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
That can't work .. The gays want a "special" word that can be used to describe "only them"
Stop with the making the victims out to be the victimezer B.s.

if you had ANY idea how hard it was to be gay, than you woudn't be spouting the wimpy nonsense hiding behind a computer that you are.

Homophobia impacts how i'm treated in society, in the workplace, and in housing, as well as crimes such as assault etc that are caused BY homophobia and NOTHING ELSE>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 02:41 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Homophobia is a buzzword, and it's used as a moral crutch.

Damage has been done to same sex marriage initiatives because it has been turned into a moral debate rather than what it is--a contractual issue. And that is all. The objections about what marriage "means" are irrelevant.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:19 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
The words for murder and rape are murder and rape just like it is for anyone else..
Yes, murder and rape in general are called murder and rape. But I'm talking about murder and rape for being gay. There are governments that officially outline the death penalty as punishment for a homosexual act. It's written into law.

Would you call that homophobia?

Old 04-09-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
That can't work .. The gays want a "special" word that can be used to describe "only them"
It's hardly particular to gays. Killing someone for being black is racism. Killing someone for being white is racism. Killing someone for being of a certain religion is religious persecution. How is there "only" a word for gays? The point is that when someone is killed for being gay, the link between the crime and the person's orientation cannot be ignored. When the reason is because the person is gay, and when heterosexuals can do the same exact thing without any sort of punishment, it becomes a gay rights issue.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:24 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Yes, murder and rape in general are called murder and rape. But I'm talking about murder and rape for being gay. There are governments that officially outline the death penalty as punishment for a homosexual act. It's written into law.

Would you call that homophobia?
I propose the word "misohomia" for "hatred of homosexuals". "Miso" = "hate".

Old 04-09-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
I could buy a dress for my wife and not tell her, is that adultry? My wife has lied to me and kept many secrets. I don't believe she has slept with anyone else, there is a huge difference.

I believe physical love between people of the same sex is wrong, partially because my Bible tells me so, and because it is unnatural.

I have no hate for you or anyone else, I just disagree with your viewpoints on these issues. I believe marraige is between a man and a woman.

One thing I have learned, is that communication stops, when one side starts insulting the other side. Whether by calling names, or accusing someone of lying, true communication stops at that point.
There has to be both sex and lying/secrecy involved for an act to be considered adultery. After all, having sex with your wife isn't adultery. Adultery isn't just about sex and it's not just about lying either. It's about both. Would you say that's pretty fair to say?

I totally understand what you believe and I take no issue with people of your opinion, who disagree with homosexuality, but are happy to let gays live in peace and do their thing. My issue is with people who take the viewpoint you have, and use it to justify imprisoning, assaulting, raping, and murdering gays. That is what I don't agree with--and I think it's fair to call that homophobia.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I can attest to the deafness issue. My eldest son is completely deaf in one ear and nearly deaf in the other. If he's not looking directly at you, he doesn't know you're talking to him. We had an issue with that recently when a neighbor complained he didn't reply when she asked a question about our dog. I had to send an email to the entire neighborhood explaining that, if anyone wants to talk to him, they have to get his attention first and then speak clearly and loudly.
I recently got my hearing back and am learning how to hear again. Sometimes it drops out a bit when the barometric pressure changes quickly too. I have to read lips to understand people. If I can't see their lips, I can hear them but I can't understand them. People cannot see this. I have to explain it to every person I wish to have prolonged communication with.

No one ever questions me when I tell them I'm learning to hear again--something they can't see. But they question me when I tell them I'm gay. Why is this?

Old 04-09-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Do you have the polling data from forty-four years ago, or do you simply make up "facts" as needed to support your argument?

The latest poll conducted in Mississippi was done by a leftist hack (Tom Jensen at PPP) and asked questions about conservative political figures to establish conservative credentials then asked only one other question. Yep, you guessed it.

The intent to paint conservatives as racist isn't new and is obvious in this case. I give Tom a B+ for creativity.

With Bush out of the picture, I guess racism will be the big issue for liberals in 2012 since they can't mention continuing/expanded/new/illegal/unconstitutional wars, GITMO, Patriot Act, rendition, housing market, trade deficits, deficit spending, employment, illegal immigration, nuclear Iran, foreign oil dependency, $4/gal gasoline or the skyrocketing cost of basic living expenses. In fact, without the racist/sexist/homophobic strawman to run against, I can't think of a single issue that would be safe for liberals to discuss. Can you?

As for the rest of the civilized world being ahead of us on gay marriage, that doesn't mean they're correct or that we will ultimately follow them. They're also ahead of us on deficit spending and pending insolvency. So what? Should we continue unwise policies because Europe does it? If Britain and France jumped off a cliff, should America follow?
Because allowing gay marriage is totally like jumping off a cliff.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Actually, it is. If your argument was correct, why is it that I'm accused of being homophobic on a daily basis on C-D, or at least anytime I post on a thread about homosexuality? I haven't done any crimes against gays b/c of their gayness, I would never dream of doing the things you mentioned above. Nobody deserves to be treated that way for ANY reason.
Like I said, I already recognize that people overuse and abuse the word "homophobia." I am not denying this and I see how many people accuse others of being homophobic on the CD forums too. I am just saying that's not all it is. In addition to being overused and abused, it is used appropriately to describe levels of hatred towards gays that lead to imprisonment, rape, and murder.

Quote:
The bottom line is that most people in the US who are accused of being "homophobic" (again, not even the proper term), simply disagree with homosexuality. There is no hate, no discrimination, no abuse of any kind, nothing evil going on, just a simple disagreement. Many of the people have friends who are gay and they love them for who they are even if they don't agree with their sexual preference. I have many friends who I have vast disagreements with concerning their lifestyles (straight people included...in fact, I have more problems with straight people who do stupid things with their lives than I do with my gay friends for being gay), but that doesn't mean I hate them or that they're bad people.
I understand the point you're making and I agree. Simply disagreeing is not hatred. That's why I am not even accusing people who share your opinion of being homophobia. I am asking that people who deny homophobia exists AT ALL reconsider their view given the fact that fundamental human rights violations are performed against individuals for being gay all the time. Disagreeing is not homophobia, but there is homophobia in the world. In some countries you can be put in jail for at least 10 years, or sent to jail and raped by the prison guards on a regular basis, or even sentenced to death by shooting, stoning, or hanging because you had a sexual relation with someone of the same sex. That, I would argue, is homophobia, and because that does happen, homophobia does exist.

Quote:
In other countries, yes, you are correct, but come on, these are the same countries that detain people for years b/c they accidentally crossed the country's border and are now accused of being spies. These countries stone people still, doesn't matter the reason for that, it's just barbaric. They have extremely limited rights for women, and women are seen as owned by their husbands, husbands who can have multiple wives. These people kill and jail each other for absolutely no reason at all. I mean, what you say about their treatment of gays does not surprise me.

Again, be glad you live in the US.
I am extremely glad I live in the U.S. I work for a human rights foundation and translate hundreds upon hundreds of cases of people who are raped and murdered for a variety of reasons, of which homosexuality is only one. Other reasons include not being Muslim, showing your hair if you're a woman, being part of a Leftist group, and a bunch of vague reasons like "corruption on earth." I am so glad not to be living in the country I do human rights work for. I am just pointing out that gay people are one of the groups that get targeted by these people, along with free-thinkers and people who happen to be of a minority religion, and so on and so forth, and for that reason homophobia very much does exist. That's all I'm trying to say.

I am by no means diminishing how real other types of persecution are, and by no means trying to say homosexuals have it worse or it only matters when it's about gay people. The reason I highlighted gay people was because most of the comments on CD I had seen had been in reference to gay people. But of course I think having any of those happen to you for any reason is completely wrong and barbaric.

Quote:
It's not, though, at least not in America and most CIVILIZED first-world countries. In the uncivilized countries, like those in Africa and the Middle East, people do crimes and violence to many different groups or individuals who are seen as different or breaking some strange law. Being gay in one of those countries just happens to be another thing that is punishable there, which like I said, is no big surprise. Don't like it? Don't go there. I don't like how they treat women but that doesn't mean I'm going to rant about it and liken it to how women in America are treated and say everyone here is a chauvinist pig....
Of course not. But there are people who are born into those countries and don't have the means to get out. And there are people who try to get out of their home country but get sent back home by the country they try to seek refuge in. So it's not quite as easy as saying "don't go there." All of those persecuted groups are in the same situation. The only thing that makes gays stand out is that they are often disowned by their families and seek refuge as individuals, whereas other persecuted groups often seek refuge as families. But there are other things about other types of persecution that make them stand out too. I didn't mean to make homophobia sound "special" or "worse" or "more important" by highlighting it. My reason for highlighting homophobia was simply because it's in response to comments I've seen.

I hope that helps clear up where I'm coming from.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:49 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I recently got my hearing back and am learning how to hear again. Sometimes it drops out a bit when the barometric pressure changes quickly too. I have to read lips to understand people. If I can't see their lips, I can hear them but I can't understand them. People cannot see this. I have to explain it to every person I wish to have prolonged communication with.

No one ever questions me when I tell them I'm learning to hear again--something they can't see. But they question me when I tell them I'm gay. Why is this?
OT but did you have a cochlear implant? I've seen reports of that on TV and marvel at the advances in medicine I have seen since I became a nurse in the 1950's.

There is a wide range of attitudes towards gay people but such can range from a straight person just being glad they are straight and not gay all the way to people outright seeking out gays to do harm to them. There is no "one word fits all" when it comes to the ways people view homosexuality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies