Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2011, 03:09 PM

415 posts, read 449,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Scientists would disagree with you
I didn't even quote you. What's your point here? Read my previous post, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 03:10 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
This articulates it perfectly. As Jaymax so kindly pointed out before, I used to have no problem with people being gay before I found God again.
Oh

Old 04-10-2011, 03:15 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Lots of people DO respect and agree with her opinion on this topic and reject yours, here at CD and even more so in the world at large.
Then clearly lots of people are ignorant and prejudiced and confused, and don't bother to check their "facts".

Old 04-10-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Great!

So we're all in agreement that sexual orentation, like most other matters of human behavior, is the result of a genetic predispotion, personal chemistry, environmental factors and learned behavior.

I assume we also all agree that a genetic predisposition leaves lots of room for personal choice and later personal development. One may be heterosexual, homosexual or somewhere in between based on a number of factors to include personal choice, experience, environment and learned bahavior.

Now get your born-gay propaganda out of the elementary schools and stay away from our kids.
Considering the vast majority of child molesters in the US are straight, male, heterosexual, married, and religious, perhaps you need to look closer to home for any danger to children.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
That's nice for Ted Olson (whoever he is).
LOL! You post on and on about same-sex marriage but you don't know who he is?

Old 04-10-2011, 03:24 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbanger View Post
I didn't even quote you. What's your point here? Read my previous post, please.
Oops

I deleted the wrong part of your post. I was replying to this part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbanger View Post
I
That's false. If you go and buy an acid, how do you think they know it's XX acid? How do you think they know what ingredients are in creams, lotions etc? They know it because they can prove it. Like they have to know what ingredients are in medications. If they didn't know it, they couldn't help you.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:26 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
This articulates it perfectly. As Jaymax so kindly pointed out before, I used to have no problem with people being gay before I found God again. My argument was the same as theirs, love is love, doesn't matter who it's with, we shouldn't say one kind of love is better than another or that homosexuality is wrong b/c they can't procreate. But when I found God and started going back to church and reading the Bible, my views changed so drastically and my liberal mindset vanished (and no, I was not going to some radical church that indoctrinates its congregants with political crap). The homosexuality thing was actually one of the hardest for me to accept (abortion was the first thing I changed my mind on...that one was easy!). I didn't change my opinions on purpose, that came from having a relationship with God again.

I wholeheartedly agree that separation from God is the cause of the evils of the world. No question about it. None. And we as humans do have a sinning nature, we have free will and the devil can wreak havoc on our lives if we allow it and start breaking down those walls that we have built with God to protect us.
I found God too. I was a diehard atheist up until about 2 or 3 months ago. But I still do not disagree with homosexuality and see nothing wrong with being gay. I am just saying this not to say you are wrong or invalidate your experience, but just to show everyone that finding God does not require disagreeing with homosexuality. It's one of many reasons people disagree with homosexuality, and not all people who find God do disagree with it.

I think it's kind of ironic because I agree with you so strongly in that I think separation from God is a cause of a lot of evil in the world. We have moved so far away from our Creator that we forgot what we are made of and why we are meant to be here. However, from my perspective, that has nothing to do with homosexuality.

I really liked this post but I couldn't rep you anymore:

Quote:
And then most of the time, when I state my views, I get attacked for my religion, which is worse than being labeled some stupid inaccurate buzz word. Don't you think all of this rhetoric is taking away from any meaningful discussion about homosexuality? And if you take notice, it's the gays and their supporters who are dumbing everything down. I have never once seen anybody here say a bad word toward a gay person, but I have seen plenty of name calling by the gays/supporters ("bigot" and "religious zealot" are thrown around a lot, for example).

I don't even "have a problem" with the people being gay, I just disagree with it. It's not something I think about in my daily life or if I'm around gay people. I just choose not to live my own life that way. What I do have a problem is with it being thrown in my face constantly, demanding attention and special treatment b/c of minority status. It's OBNOXIOUS. Live your life the way you see fit, but don't rub it in my face. I also have a problem with people saying that a homosexual relationship is equal to a heterosexual one...it's not, and it never will be. Doesn't mean I'm dissing the people involved, either.

Considering the fact that I do have a degree in psychology and originally planned to do counseling (now I don't have time to do a Master's program), obviously I have no problem with people with mental illness. I have two family members who are bipolar. One of them is fine and med compliant and the other goes on and off her meds and regularly goes to the psych ward. That BEHAVIOR is what is problematic, not the fact that she is bipolar to begin with.
I see it happening to everyone. I have been called names and been thrown personal insults for stating my beliefs on CD. Everyone does it. It's not just one-way. It's not just gays and advocates who result to name-calling and personal insult. There are individuals who resort to those methods across the religious and political spectrums. It happens in all directions, but not everyone does it either. Some gays do it; some anti-gays do it. Some liberals do it; some conservatives do it. Some religious people do it; some secularists do it. Not all gay, anti-gay, liberal or conservative, religious or secular people do it. It tends to be a minority within each group that is so passionate about their topic that they insult others either without realizing it or they justify insulting others based on their conflicting opinions. There are also people in every group who make an honest effort to stick to the debate topic and not just engage in a flamewar. It's also easier to see when an insult is aimed at you, but sometimes we miss insults that are aimed at people who disagree with us because we agree with the person who threw out the insult.

If we all let other people be who they want to be and do what they want to do (without hurting others), it wouldn't matter if we agreed or disagreed with each other's lifestyles, choices, or even inherent behaviors. I honestly don't care if you disagree with homosexuality as long as you aren't trying to infringe upon my rights or directly harm me in some way. I also prefer not to have anti-gay sentiment shoved in my face. On CD, by participating on the forums, I choose to enter into discussions where people express their opinions, including ones I may disagree with. But outside of the CD context, I would find it obnoxious if someone felt the need to put their opinion on me. So disagreeing with homosexuality isn't necessarily homophobia, and disagreeing with people isn't necessarily discrimination. It's only when we start to try to control other people's lives or harm them directly that problems arise. And it's because so many people, regardless of their opinion, do this, we don't coexist successfully and we all end up having so much conflict and even just plain violence.

It all boils down to "live and let live".

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 04-10-2011 at 03:40 PM..

Old 04-10-2011, 03:27 PM

415 posts, read 449,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Oops

I deleted the wrong part of your post. I was replying to this part
Doesn't change the fact that they know what's in your medication, that they know what is H2SO4 etc. If they couldn't prove it, there wouldn't be any medications, H2SO4 and the-like, because they couldn't make it.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:02 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Quote:

I don't even "have a problem" with the people being gay, I just disagree with it. It's not something I think about in my daily life or if I'm around gay people. I just choose not to live my own life that way. What I do have a problem is with it being thrown in my face constantly, demanding attention and special treatment b/c of minority status. It's OBNOXIOUS. Live your life the way you see fit, but don't rub it in my face. I also have a problem with people saying that a homosexual relationship is equal to a heterosexual one...it's not, and it never will be. Doesn't mean I'm dissing the people involved, either.
You know what, I have a problem with Christians throwing their obnoxious beliefs in my face constantly...

Sorry...but you are absolutely wrong, my same sex relationship is every bit as equal to your heterosexual relationship...and I would fight to my death for it.

You say you are not dissing anybody, yet you have the nerve to tell us that our relationships are not equal to yours. That is like saying your relationships are garbage...that we are just pieces of garbage not deserving of equal treatment.

You and people like you spout off this garbage and then wonder why gay people are fighting for equality.

Talk about OBNOXIOUS...

Old 04-10-2011, 05:36 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
Hmmm. FIRSTLY, being gay is not something that i 'wanted' so there would be no reason to not be 'honest' with myself. You make ABSOLUTELY no sense. I would simply just NOT BE GAY. I"m not 'trying to get away' with something. You speak as though being gay is some secret addiction, like alcoholism that we're trying to get away with.

And our 'testamonies' are not 'anectocal' they are LIVED by EXISTING. That's like saying a blind persons testimonial on being blind is an anectode. Keep insulting, you seem to be good at it.
Obviously we have a difference of opinion, as sexuality of any type is an addiction. That said, spare me the victimized theatrics -- whether you feel insulted or not is really no concern of mine. You likely feel insulted by anyone who disagrees with your anecdotes, so feelings are neither here or there. CD does not exist to tip toe around our feelings.

When people say theyve felt gay or felt straight all their lives, that is nothing more than personal anecdote being used to reinforce the scientific contention of their choosing. If people want to believe they have always been gay or straight they will do that regardless of what anyone else says; and thats fine. But, I do realize that their testimonials are purely anecdotal and have little bearing on reality outside of the person who believes such. However, making some dangling correlation between those anecdotes and human sexuality and then casting those anecdotes in the light of universal fact is just duplicitous imo. To be fair, Ive heard people who say they havent been gay or straight their whole lives. But they are typically dismissed as some variant of confused bisexual, by those sexual authoritarians who declare that everyone is born with sexuality determined. The anecdotal testimonials of people who know they werent born gay are deemed to be mired in confusion or altogether baseless. There is simply a double standard among the acceptance of the opposing anecdotes.

Secondly, I never said you were trying to "get away with anything"..you're quoting something that was never even stated. That is a sub conscious sentiment you hold that you are attempting to project onto others. I notice this phenomenon a lot from people who believe they are gay. They'll often say something to the effect of: 'why would I CHOOSE to be gay?'...I would ask, why not? IMO There's nothing inherently wrong with it, and gay people are no less human than anyone else, so why the inferiority complex? Why assume that being gay is a last resort for everyone? It may be for YOU, but others believe it is a perfectly equivalent alternative to being straight.

Lastly, Im not sure how you interpret that anyone is trying to insinuate that you're trying to get away with anything. If anything, gay people bring that perception on themselves. Thats the whole purpose of having a specific "closeted" designation for people who dont have the courage to openly live the way they want to live. -- So that they can do what they want without others knowing. Thats not the design of anyone except the gay community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies