Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did blacks do better when they were segregated?
Yes 3 16.67%
No 14 77.78%
Not sure. 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 01:31 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times

Advertisements

I remember a while back there were videos posted on YouTube by a segregationist and somewhat racist black woman who's videos have since been deleted and account is closed. These videos were posted about a year ago.

Anyway, she was talking about how black people did better when they were segregated. They had their own schools, own communities, own hospitals, stronger families, and were more united than now. She seemed to have a grudge against light skin blacks, who she thought wasn't black enough, and other races using racial slurs in her videos. She blamed interracial marriage, the Civil Rights Movement, and integration for why the black community is in the shape it's in now. She also said that there were a lot movies that had a predominantly black cast up until the 1990s. She rambled on how blacks born after 1980 are sellouts because they're stepping outside the box more than those born before then. I couldn't remember whether she said it was around the 1980s or 1990s when the black race began to fail.

What's your take on this?

Old 04-08-2011, 01:37 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,869,481 times
What is the point of this thread??

A poll based on 1 person's backwards rants, Really ???

Why stop there, maybe you should put up a poll about the pros and cons of slavery from a Black perspective ?

Old 04-08-2011, 01:43 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post

Why stop there, maybe you should put up a poll about the pros and cons of slavery from a Black perspective ?
No. I just wanted people's opinions if things have gotten better or worse since times changed! I don't know, so I'm asking people if they have.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:52 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post

I think you are being a little too angry and dismissive with the question. You can't really compare slavery to segregation, and I get tired of anyone who speaks poorly of any program that was supposedly created to address discrimination/racism/inequality being instantly branded a racist, or that they want to "bring back slavery"(especially when most of those programs have been proven to be failures).

If you actually think with an open mind, you can see that there is definitely a correlation between desegregation and the destruction of the black family and the black community.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:08 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,869,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I think you are being a little too angry and dismissive with the question. You can't really compare slavery to segregation, and I get tired of anyone who speaks poorly of any program that was supposedly created to address discrimination/racism/inequality being instantly branded a racist, or that they want to "bring back slavery"(especially when most of those programs have been proven to be failures).

If you actually think with an open mind, you can see that there is definitely a correlation between desegregation and the destruction of the black family and the black community.
The destruction of the Black family and community is not desegregation, it's irresponsible ( absentee fathers,etc..) individuals in that community.

Just as irresponsible Whites , Asians or whatever are responsible for their own destruction. At some point personal responsibility enters the equation.

You can't blame every thing on outside forces. And in regards to the slavery/segregation comparison, you will always have individuals that look back in history (unrealistically) with rose colored glasses.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:52 AM

657 posts, read 697,188 times
Oh yea definitely. And I'm sure blacks in south africa also miss the good ol' days of apartheid. I mean, man they had it so good back then.

everyone knows black people just LOVE to be treated like second class citizens

Old 04-08-2011, 08:29 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

Seriously? read up on "Separate but equal" and tell me how anyone benefitted from that. It was legislated discrimination.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:37 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Ironically enough, I have heard two or three black acquantenances say similiar things. They said it gave them a "common enemy" or point of focus and thus cohesiveness and unity was much better. Think of Europe and America with the USSR and then without.

I thought it an interesting POV to say the least. I do not agree with it and sense its more of a yearning for something else.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:48 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
I guess people who say such things look at the situation and then jump to the wrong conclusions.

Frankly, to me such people are a bit like traitors. Their remarks are an insult to all those people who spend their lives trying to change things.

Morals are more important than everything else. Desegregation was the right thing to do, regardless of the problems some people think were caused by it. Same goes for South Africa by the way.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:55 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,797 times
troll thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies