Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2011, 12:09 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,962 times

Advertisements

sorry to hear you have been sliding down that ladder instead of up, feel for you. in your case you should keep your $10k ride and pay the repair bills as they roll in. A new car isn't for everyone.

fact remains that I am saving $2k a year in fuel costs over the car I had. That is about $170 a month. Even with a $20k 4 year loan the difference would still be under the $250 a month i try to stay under.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
Let's go through this again. The choices are:

a) Keep a 5 year Ford F150 (for example) with appx 18 mpg which is already bought and paid for so I have absolutely no cash outlay, or

b) Buy a hybrid. For the sake of argument, I have to spend $20K. So, I'm $20,000 dollars in the hole immediately.

The cost of maintenance will be equal for the sake of argument, so what's left is the savings of gas. Yes, it will cost less per year with the hybrid, but I've already spent $20,000 so I'm ahead with the F150 for 13 years! I will reiterate, if the point is to save money, it's cheaper to hang onto the fuel burner for a long time. If the point is to "be green", then of course the hybrid is better. I cannot possibly make this any clearer.
of course, in 13 years you'll have a bucket of rust instead of a 18 year old F150.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 12:09 AM

437 posts, read 792,492 times
continue.......

"This is how many barrels of your oil we need and this is how much we will pay for it. In return, I will guarantee this for 50 years and give you armed military protection like we are currently doing for free. If you do not agree, good luck you are on your own."

Thank you,

your President.

Last edited by jdrtx; 04-09-2011 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-09-2011, 12:20 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
sorry to hear you have been sliding down that ladder instead of up, feel for you.
Pfft LOL. Dude I just bought a new vehicle myself, CASH. Nice try, though.

Quote:
in your case you should keep your $10k ride and pay the repair bills as they roll in.
And in 13 years, you will not have ANY major repair bills with the Ford Hybrid? LOL keep dreaming my friend... What happens with hybrid batteries after 13 years, for example?

Quote:
A new car isn't for everyone.

fact remains that I am saving $2k a year in fuel costs over the car I had. That is about $170 a month. Even with a $20k 4 year loan the difference would still be under the $250 a month i try to stay under.of course, in 13 years you'll have a bucket of rust instead of a 18 year old F150.
And the 13 year hybrid is going to fair much better? Really? I've seen 30 year old F150s around my area and I would drive those. Oh and during those 13 years, it still would have been cheaper to keep the truck. 13 years is a long time.

Too bad you just couldn't understand my previous post. Oh well, I tried.

Last edited by jkbatca; 04-09-2011 at 12:30 AM..

Old 04-09-2011, 12:24 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
You read my mind.

"Let them eat cake"?

Liberals have no clue they are about to be crushed by a speeding train of their own quotes.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:25 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
Good job! Now how about the rest of the 300,000,000 people living in the U.S.?
ask for a raise or get a better job. you shouldn't let the man control your life.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:33 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
ask for a raise or get a better job.
Obviously you've ignored my several previous posts on this. I'm sure others have picked up on this though.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Oh my. The mind of a delusional paranoid.

I'm personally torn on the issue. On the one hand, he is doing more damage in a short period of time than any president I can think of and that certainly suggests he's doing it deliberately, but he could quite possibly be stupid enough to be doing the same damage unintentionally. We may never know which is the truth.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:40 AM

19,020 posts, read 14,198,297 times
The problem with soundbite rhetoric - it masks reality.
Government and politicians are masters at it.
The problem is not low gas mileage vehicles.
Nor is the problem solved by hybrids.
The problem is how many passenger miles / gallon.
A fully loaded 9 passenger van, at 20 mpg, is more efficient than a 50 mpg, single occupant "green-mobile", when it comes to moving the most for the least cost. (180 passenger - miles / gallon versus 50 passenger - miles / gallon).

And though there are opponents to rail based mass transit, when it comes to a finite and fixed fuel budget, you want to move the most for the least... and that means electric traction rail.

So BHO's "vision" is narrowly focused on helping his benefactors, like auto unions, while ignoring the Laws of Physics and economics.

Expending the inheritance of one's great grandchildren in order to "preserve" wasteful systems is not wise. Nor is a government bent on devouring the nation's wealth.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
LOL...ironic.

Yes, its the democrats who are known for facilitating money laundering by the rich. Ha!

FAIL.

By "the rich", did you mean private sector unions which contribute nearly exclusively to Democrats who, in turn, heap blessings upon the same unions?

Old 04-09-2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
This to me this is simply.... how shall I word this.... a ridiculous conspiracy theory. I can't see how you or anyone can take that idea seriously or expect anyone to take you seriously when you put forth such a statement.

Oh well... what can one do except to say I think that it's silly idea that the President is plotting for a one world gov't.

Do you think he does what he does because he's stupid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies