Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 04:23 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times

Advertisements

I see, so you have turned your back on the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 04:44 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
A genuine treasure to those of us with a heart and a brain.

Keep up the great journalism Lawrence, it's nice to see real emotion from people who are not programmed robots, trained like seals at feeding time to regurgitate rightwing talking points and corporatist propaganda.
He was very good on Big Love too! He played a lawyer. I do not think his tears on Friday were forced at all. Here's a concept: have some integrity.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:56 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
My questions are rhetorical. I've yet to find a Liberal who accurately understands the concept of personal responsibility. Where I come from, I am personally responsible for my actions. Using the government to tell me how to be responsible is simply mind-boggling, but that's the Liberal Standard.
Then how in the hell are you supposed to teach people to be personally responsible, if when they were young their parents failed to do so? Should they be sent to prison and assigned hard labor to learn personal responsibility. And then what do you when the warden hands them a sledge hammer to pound rock and they refuse to do so?

Old 04-10-2011, 05:04 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Why are people so ignorant? Family planning is not rocket science. Either you can or you cannot afford to raise and provide for children. If you can, then you do so at a pace commensurate with your financial and mental capability. If you can't then you wait until you can afford it or you deem yourself incapable of mental challenges associated with bringing children into this world.

It's not rocket science, but apparently its not within the realm of understanding of the Liberal Establishment either. Which is why you folks see no problem whatsoever with tax dollars being thrown at the personally irresponsible.
Then I must ask you this. What is your stand on a new Texas law that forces women to get a sonogram before they get an abortion? This too is tax dollars being thrown at the personally irresponsible, correct?

Old 04-10-2011, 05:11 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Can't let it go, can you? They're not my kids. I can give you their contact information, if you'd like to donate to their care.

I'd rather all aid be held back from people in this kind of situation. As it stands, they are all being enabled to behave this way. No motivation to take care of your own kids when you can trot those kids out, shrieking "it's for the children", as you cash your govt checks.

When will you Libs realize that it's YOUR failed policies, that enable the sort of behavior that breaks down families, that is truly turning your backs on these children.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
It would all go away. I just don't understand why folks
can't understand: to get rid of all the B.S. we NEED
single payer in this country. PP adds to the problem -
they are filling a need, but not voicing what we really
need, at tax payers expense.

Every congressional representative, apparently does
not want to represent the reality - without a single
payer system in this country, we are doomed.
But the health insurance companies and their lobbyists are strongly against the single payer system. Their voices count much more than the peoples'.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
There is no doubt that not having sex is the surest way not to become pregnant, but the fact is sex is and has always been the greatest naturally shared imperative amongst humans. So this is what I don't understand; People are going to have sex and when they have sex and they become pregnant there is going to be this child that will need to be cared for. So, knowing that, I can't for the life of me reconcile how people who like myself oppose abortion (although I do not support a government prohibition), can also oppose funding for contraception, to avoid the need for abortion or aid to innocent dependent children who are born as a result of a lack of access to contraception and a ban on abortion.
Such people feel it goes against God's will to use birth control.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:22 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Can't let it go, can you? They're not my kids. I can give you their contact information, if you'd like to donate to their care.

I'd rather all aid be held back from people in this kind of situation. As it stands, they are all being enabled to behave this way. No motivation to take care of your own kids when you can trot those kids out, shrieking "it's for the children", as you cash your govt checks.

When will you Libs realize that it's YOUR failed policies, that enable the sort of behavior that breaks down families, that is truly turning your backs on these children.
As I said previously, LOD-I believe-was behaving genuinely on his show. He truly has integrity and feels that we are all in this together and need to show compassion towards the less fortunate. That means providing them with an AFFORDABLE means to obtain women's health care. The Republicans were simply being cruel to strip that resource from women & were trying to placate their base by defunding Planned Parenthood. They were willing to risk a government shut down over a minuscule part of the budget.

"Take care of your own..." OK, so that means, if you have an elderly relative who needs a nursing home, you are willing to sell your house, your cars, all of your personal belongings to pay for it. No way would you "transfer ownership" so that your relative would become eligible for Medicaid which would pay for their nursing home expenses and still allow them to pass wealth down to their kids.

Funny how "take care of your own," as defined by the right, only applies to poor people, but middle class & corporate government subsidies are A-OK.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Then I must ask you this. What is your stand on a new Texas law that forces women to get a sonogram before they get an abortion? This too is tax dollars being thrown at the personally irresponsible, correct?
Now surely in a conservative state as Texas, the woman would be required to pay for the sonogram. No pay sonogram--no abortion.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:32 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Parents are responsible for their children. In this case, the children are not needing money. They simply have crappy parents. What do you expect a family friend to do, anyway? No one has any power over these children's welfare, even if someone wished to step in. Your attack is not only unfair, it's just not reasonable. I don't understand what you're getting at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies