Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 07:38 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
You might want to spend some time looking into the demographics of first world countries. Too many children is not a problem from which the United States is suffering.

Yes, taxes rise over time. Likely your home value has as well. How much money have you made from it? What's wrong with moving to a lower cost of living area? There were housing taxes when you bought your house originally yes? Why didn't you move to an area that didn't have them?
Why should anyone be forced to move out of their "life long" (if that is the case) home to a lower cost of living "area" due to a never ending yearly increase of funding public schools through property taxes?

Quote:
Being old and angry is no real excuse to want to try to give disincentives for families to not have children. Were this policy in place 20 years ago, people like me might not be around to pay for the social security, medicare and prescription drugs that you enjoy now.
I think there are two separate issues that the OP brought up. Property taxes rising due to funding public schools- and if the OP lives in a state like mine? That happens every year. The "oh, it's only $400 a year of an increase, only $100 per quarter - why would you take that away from THE KIDS"? BS. Do that 5 times over a 10 year period and your property taxes increased $2K, without taking into consideration inflation, or the rising costs of services that the rest of your property taxes get increased "due to" via county and municipal, run of the mill items.

Telling people how many kids they should have and they need to pay extra fees for any number of children over two is another issue.

That idea is not going to solve anything.

Quote:
There are 50 states in this country. There are plenty of places to live where you don't have property tax. Why not move to one of those places. I'm sure there's a boat load of equity in your house to pay for that.
That's an unfair assumption and really has NOTHING to do with school boards passing budgets that raise everyone's property taxes year after year after year - especially with so much misappropriation, waste and BS in those budgets.

Why should someone have to pick up and move away from family, friends, out of a life-long comfort zone b/c some crappy public school system keeps demanding more and more money...and never has anything to show for it? You can improve facilities, technology all you want to. Doesn't make the students any smarter b/c if that were the case? The 30M Abbott schools would be turning out geniuses left and right.

Last edited by Informed Info; 04-09-2011 at 07:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 07:40 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
How about taxing couples for having more than 2 children or making them pay an extra fee for public schooling for extra children they produce ?I post this thought as a senior that might very well have to sell my home and move to a cheaper area because of ever rising school taxes.It just is not right to ask me to sacrifice the way I must live because others want to multiply beyond reason not to mention the taxes we pay to have a welfare system.JMHO
Only if we make it even and can allow those who DON'T even have children to not pay school taxes for the city they live in. Deal??

Old 04-10-2011, 09:03 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Tax people based on the number of children they have. Maybe they will think twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies