Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 03:46 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times

Advertisements

[quote=Fiyero;18715505]Greece, Rome, Egypt, and China have all had it.

Links?

In modern times or the past?

Quote:
I think places like Canada, New Zealand, Australia, etc. are good models considering they always rank as the highest quality of living in the world and the best civil rights in the world. Where as the US comes no where close.
Quote:
What is done in other countries is their business and to hold them up as an example is like saying to your parents, "Well, everyone else is doing it. Why can't I?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 04:02 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times
[quote=Cunucu Beach;18715701]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Greece, Rome, Egypt, and China have all had it.

Links?

In modern times or the past?
In the past. It is well documented that 1 male - 1 female of marriage being ONLY 1 male and 1 female is a newer construct.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:56 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
[quote=calibro1;18715934]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post

In the past. It is well documented that 1 male - 1 female of marriage being ONLY 1 male and 1 female is a newer construct.
Likewise, there seems to be no widespread historical basis for anything except male-female marriage.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:03 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
The only reason I hesitate to support same-sex marriage is because I fear it may be opening the door to any and all kinds of marriages i.e. polygamy, polyandry, group marriage, close relative marriage, etc. and I am of the opinion that such a free-for-all will make marriage meaningless.
That is truly the goal anyway. If you normalize the abnormal then thare are no standards, no societal norms, no boundaries between decency and indecency. Debauchery.

We have marriage equality, each sex is treated exactly the same in that they can marry a member of the opposite sex if they so choose.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 04-13-2011 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-13-2011, 07:00 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Another man turning away from Jesus. Sad.
Jesus would not support hate. Read your Bible already.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:01 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Even then marriage was one-man/one-woman. "Race" is an issue that has been laid to rest as there is so much mixture of various racial groups today, it is virtually meaningless. Making the leap from heterosexual marriage to same-sex marriage is a much bigger leap. There's no getting around the differences between men and women and the fact that it takes an egg and a sperm to make a baby.
We're talking about a legal contract, not reproduction. Try to focus.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:06 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Making the leap from heterosexual marriage to same-sex marriage is a much bigger leap. There's no getting around the differences between men and women and the fact that it takes an egg and a sperm to make a baby.
Well if having children is what you think defines marriage,
we should change the law: you must have a child before getting married

There are many heterosexual couples that choose not
to have any children.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:09 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
That is truly the goal anyway. If you normalize the abnormal then thare are no standards, no societal norms, no boundaries between decency and indecency. Debauchery.

We have marriage equality, each sex is treated exactly the same in that they can marry a member of the opposite sex if they so choose.
So have same sex marriage, all hell is going to break loose.
Orgies in the streets. Quite the propaganda, don't you
think.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:26 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
You're right. Jesus is not about hate. But He is about right and wrong.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:39 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I found this an amazing story of how one man's mind was opened enough for him to see where he was wrong. I now support full marriage equality - Louis J. Marinelli (http://louisjmarinelli.com/politics/i-now-support-full-marriage-equality - broken link)
So he thinks it should be male/female only and we shouldn't create a new class of marriage for 3% of the population?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post

So when he called the Pharisees a brood of vipers, and made a whip to cast the money-changers out of the temple, he was just being a lovey-dovey, milk-toast Jesus?

I'm not suggesting that we hate anyone...but I have as much right to my opinion as you do to your's. Saying something is wrong is not hate--or you'd be guilty of hate-speech for condemning us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies