Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 03:52 PM

146 posts, read 250,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
I've had this realization in my for awhile now, but wasn't really vocal about it because I'm more introverted than most.

But honestly as African-Americans we don't have the unison, near to the golden era of the civil rights movement that we had. Sad but true. Examples:

Dark skin vs light skin: Mainly its women, but men participate in this as well, its as trivial if not more so than division over eye color

Rich vs Poor: Mostly with the youth and young adults, if you don't have money then you're not really accepted (a very complicated division)

Black People vs Ni**as: This one probably did the most harm, it makes blacks say something familiar to this; "Wow, this is why white people look at us like this" or "Black people gotta do better." The reason this is so prominent is because of the media, it really puts the spotlight on the "ignorant and belligerent" or as most older adults put it "coonery and buffoonery" but that's all we seem to acknowledge as far as a whole, concerning race

Old vs Young: Once again I blame the media, but their not all to blame because once again this is one that is continually accepted within the Black community. I believe that the generation gap also plays a role, as well as the 80s - 90s period, including hip hop. The young are, for the most part, are ignored or seen as to dangerous to approach. And the old are looked at as somebody who doesn't understand or somebody who we don't care to understand so in turn are ignored as well.

Hood/country vs Suburban/proper: This fits in pretty well with my generation. As I like to say "If it ain't one thing its ten more" you gotta be either or, you can't straddle the fence and both are not liked by the other in general. This has an superiority-inferiority complex to it. Giving us competition and strife amongst each other to prove which is better. It may not be direct or even noticed, but observation is key with this one

Those are just the few that I'm going to give a shine of light on. There's a myriad of issues involving African-Americans against African-Americans and day by day I see it get worse and worse. Of course I have optimism for this but I would rather say something than let it be something I hoped it would become

I feel this topic is extremely sensitive I know it will push some folks buttons but for others (including other races) it will give an "ah-ha" moment. And for that reason I ask that as human being we put aside our differences to solve this issue. And rather than just talking about it on CD lets expand this topic to the workplace, schools, living rooms, etc. in a discreet way if need be.
Aside from Light Vs. Dark. And Black Vs N*gga. These divisions are common to all ethnic groups. In particular it does seem that many of us born into the upper middle class often try to "hood down" their behavior for acceptance and the ludicrous notion of authenticity. I think that falls under the Black Vs N*gga dilemma. As far as unity is concerned I agree that many of us fail to see how helping the whole also helps the individual. People will try to argue that it's racism but it's what Jews, Italians, Latinos, Asians, and every other minority group uses to rise in the American society. Latinos in Latin America have division too where Mexicans have predjudice against Puerto Ricans, Colombians, VS El Salvador etc...But once they come in the United states all that is laid aside and they work together for their own survival. All ethnic groups are diverse and multilateral. Black people aren't the only ones like that. Asians and Caucasians are full of division. But they rarely betray their own interests for ours, and whether they admit it or not know when and how to show solidarity in the issue that affect their particular community. I honestly believe that if half of the athletes that earn 7 million or more a year would invest 1 million into the communities they grew up in there wouldn't be as much lobbying the government for better schools, safer roads, the growth of small businesses and overall job creation from within the black community. Not that I'm trying to tell anyone how to spend their own money. Just sayin tho...Hip Hop artists for better are worse leave atheletes in the dust as far as giving back. Great Post!!!

Old 04-17-2011, 03:56 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
We kind of got off topic. Anyways I think the African-American race was created by fate. Like the near-eradication of the Native Americans was fate it seems as if their bloodline was intentionally integrated into us (especially in the south) just to start the African American race(with help from ethnic and racial backgrounds). From our similar degradation and oppression to how we were both stripped from/of our homeland for profit to our hate and dislike to the "white man." it just seems pretty deep to me... but that leads me to say that we (African Americans) were always from slavery to the 60's we were ALWAYS had that sense of community.

Then the 70's and Black Pride Movement came this was the "make it-or-break it" point either we would ascend to greatness or we would we go through more years of trying and striving to greatness. Then the Black Power Movement came to a halt due to warring factions such as Black Panther Party vs US. As the government put its hand in the destruction of other African American political and social groups, and the rise of poverty and hopelessness within the community kept escalating to an all time high and made it seem like the norm.

Then young african americans saw a way out with the sell of narcotics and drugs through the government created black market. Hopelessness took its toll and the sense of community left and was replaced with individuality. We saw Nicky Barnes, Freeway, and people like Fat Cat get what most people in the black community always desired. Money. With that came the 80's, the crack epidemic, and Reaganomics and the rise of organized crime in the Black community. We decided to have the "Nino Brown" mindstate, we was still in a community, brother for brother, were gonna make it together and then our egos came and thus individuality became the norm.

The 90's came and this is when everything hit the fan. As our individuality was getting stronger and stronger, so did the division. At this time we divided ourselves even more. And within the divisions were still "communities". Such as the "East Coast vs West Coast" rivalry, which wasn't even that it was 2 record labels that were angry at each other, but the media twisted and presented it as that from the beginning and we fell for it.

The 90's made the divisions more pronounced and more easily like that. Now I'm a 90's baby, so for the kids in my generation that's all we were presented and known for the most part and even the 80's babies grew up in this so generations see this as the norm and there's nothing wrong with it. BUT I DO!!! and how the media exploits it and how our elders nonchalantly agrees with it makes me even more upset.

I realize though that I shouldn't get mad and complain, but to man up and change. And luckily as I get older I see more and more of my generation wanting to change and the ones from older generations helping and supporting. The division in this country as a whole is sad and unacceptable. Even blacks of my generation who want to help with bringing Black America together hate or despise white americans I was once the same way, but soon realized that most are in the same predicament as us, just a little better. I feel that we are the most divided group in America, and rather than leaving and dismissing America and claiming Africa as our true home. We should fight in America, because this IS our true home. African American ancestry is in America, with the roots in Africa, but moreso in America if that makes sense. That's what we need to recognize as a whole, as well as the divisions and solve our problems from there.

I don't mind any other group of people looking at or replying to this because they play apart in it too, and not just for opposition but as aide too just like the Freedom Riders
Thank you for sharing your perceptive but I would urge you to go back further in time to gain a more solid foundation of knowledge regarding our history in America. It is essential to know what came before you to have a larger picture of what is happening today.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:12 PM

799 posts, read 1,094,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Thank you for sharing your perceptive but I would urge you to go back further in time to gain a more solid foundation of knowledge regarding our history in America. It is essential to know what came before you to have a larger picture of what is happening today.
How far back? I'm willing to. But I like to read every aspect of history as well as tell mine

Old 04-17-2011, 04:40 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
How far back? I'm willing to. But I like to read every aspect of history as well as tell mine
ALL the way back to the first slaveships that touched the shores of the Americas.

I love reading about your experiences and your understanding of the internal issues involved with African Americans. But we all have to understand the who/what/where/how/whys that came before our generation. And even though we are nearly 150 years removed from slavery...many of the "vs." items that you expressed in your original post are tied directly back to the Black experience during and following slavery.

A few books that I would suggest that would give you a better understanding of the "vs." items are:

Amazon.com: Our Kind of People: Inside America's Black Upper Class (9780060984380): Lawrence Otis Graham: Books

Amazon.com: The Mis-Education of the Negro (9781453697238): Carter Godwin Woodson: Books

Amazon.com: Colorblind: The Rise of Post-Racial Politics and the Retreat from Racial Equity (City Lights Open Media) (9780872865082): Tim Wise: Books

Amazon.com: Toms, Coons, Mulattoes, Mammies, and Bucks: An Interpretive History of Blacks in American Films (9780826412676): Donald Bogle: Books

Amazon.com: Bullwhip Days: The Slaves Remember: An Oral History (9780802138682): James Mellon: Books

Amazon.com: The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness (9781595581037): Michelle Alexander: Books

Amazon.com: Colorblind: The Rise of Post-Racial Politics and the Retreat from Racial Equity (City Lights Open Media) (9780872865082): Tim Wise: Books

Old 04-17-2011, 05:00 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
ALL the way back to the first slaveships that touched the shores of the Americas.

I love reading about your experiences and your understanding of the internal issues involved with African Americans. But we all have to understand the who/what/where/how/whys that came before our generation. And even though we are nearly 150 years removed from slavery...many of the "vs." items that you expressed in your original post are tied directly back to the Black experience during and following slavery.

A few books that I would suggest that would give you a better understanding of the "vs." items are:

Amazon.com: Our Kind of People: Inside America's Black Upper Class (9780060984380): Lawrence Otis Graham: Books

Amazon.com: The Mis-Education of the Negro (9781453697238): Carter Godwin Woodson: Books

Amazon.com: Toms, Coons, Mulattoes, Mammies, and Bucks: An Interpretive History of Blacks in American Films (9780826412676): Donald Bogle: Books

Amazon.com: Bullwhip Days: The Slaves Remember: An Oral History (9780802138682): James Mellon: Books

Amazon.com: The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness (9781595581037): Michelle Alexander: Books

I've read the first two books on the list. They give a good insight into the varied strains of the Black American experience in this country. There are Black families who were never poor or hood. There are Black families who have resided in this country a long time but have had no or very few known slave ancestors.

The Roots narritive while it maybe applicable to the vast majority of African Americans but it is not universal.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:11 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I don't agree with that either. Rather, some blacks are so hypersensitive that they automatically assume anyone who wants to discuss the issues and who does not agree with their viewpoint is a hater.
Bingo!

Old 04-17-2011, 05:40 PM

303 posts, read 603,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano941 View Post
People will try to argue that it's racism but it's what Jews, Italians, Latinos, Asians, and every other minority group uses to rise in the American society. Latinos in Latin America have division too where Mexicans have predjudice against Puerto Ricans, Colombians, VS El Salvador etc...But once they come in the United states all that is laid aside and they work together for their own survival. All ethnic groups are diverse and multilateral. Black people aren't the only ones like that. Asians and Caucasians are full of division. But they rarely betray their own interests for ours, and whether they admit it or not know when and how to show solidarity in the issue that affect their particular community.
I've heard a lot about this as well, but correct me if I'm wrong. I dont think their sh*t hit the fan in the same way the the whole black vs. black or black vs. white thing did. Thats why we dont hear much about it.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:54 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
As an African-American nothing has ever held me back from something I really wanted except myself and if I've wanted something badly enough then I found a way to get it but is nice to know that people are steadily working to find a cure for being born black.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:31 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
I don't know of any bigotry that promotes well-being and health for anyone, and I know nothing of black on black prejudice, so I would have to defer to your statement. However, from my observations of the past forty years, I would have to say that centuries of being considered inferior has to have a cost to any groups' psyche, and the impoverished rarely have access to the foundations most persons need to excel.

Whatever you choose to do to assist those of concern to you, I hope you perform the assistance with compassion and consideration of others' need for respect.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:21 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Quote:
I think Kenneth Stampp's book "The Peculiar Institution" was considered a radical shift in what people assumed about African Americans during Slavery. My interpretation of it is African Americans have always had control over their surroundings and destiny, even as Slaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies