Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 05:40 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times

Advertisements

Kind of a clear take on "Life in the United States". I wish it were a joke.

The GOP's War on the Poor - The Daily Beast (http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-04-10/the-gops-war-on-the-poor/?cid=hp:beastoriginalsC1 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 06:00 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Pretty much tells what most already know. The ultra-right's "path to prosperity" is to crush the poor and middle class, to give everything to their masters and the wealthiest of the wealthy. Fascism at it's finest ladies and gentleman.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:12 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Pretty much tells what most already know. The ultra-right's "path to prosperity" is to crush the poor and middle class, to give everything to their masters and the wealthiest of the wealthy. Fascism at it's finest ladies and gentleman.
The Path to Prosperity for the rich, and The Path to Austerity for the rest of us.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:28 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
"Then Ryan slashes Medicaid, Pell Grants, food stamps, and low-income housing. These programs to help the poor, which constitute approximately 21 percent of the federal budget, absorb two-thirds of Ryan’s cuts."

Sounds good to me. None of the above are listed as federal govt responsibilities in the Consistitution.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:30 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
The Path to Prosperity for the rich, and The Path to Austerity for the rest of us.
How about telling people to get off the couch and choose their OWN path and let them live with the consequences. Why should I be responsible if you took a path that leads over a cliff?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:43 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post

The GOP's War on the Poor - The Daily Beast (http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-04-10/the-gops-war-on-the-poor/?cid=hp:beastoriginalsC1 - broken link)

This should surprise no one. Working Americans are no longer the GOP's concern.

If your job is to collect dividends, then the GOP is concerned.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:01 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post

parasites should be exterminated,!!! i hear raid kills dust mites ,ticks, fleas, cockroaches, termites, and politicians.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:25 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,217,959 times
Classic Us and Them.

Wait until the Republican realizes that he is not one of the Us in their equation.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:53 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
How about telling people to get off the couch and choose their OWN path and let them live with the consequences. Why should I be responsible if you took a path that leads over a cliff?
I think you'll find that those supporting social programs reject the premise that people are poor only because they are lazy. I am not familiar with the perfectly fair and just world where everybody is successful. Best as I can tell, world history is also not familiar with such a place.

I think that there is a misdirected sense that if we stopped helping the poor that would somehow mean more money in your (the taxpayer's) wallet. That sense, somewhat objectionable on its face because of its cold lack of empathy, is also misguided. Because money not spent on the poor isn't more money in your pocket, but more money to support other priorities like military and highways.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:12 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,603,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
"Then Ryan slashes Medicaid, Pell Grants, food stamps, and low-income housing. These programs to help the poor, which constitute approximately 21 percent of the federal budget, absorb two-thirds of Ryan’s cuts."

Sounds good to me. None of the above are listed as federal govt responsibilities in the Consistitution.
It's first mentioned in the preamble.

WE THE PEOPLE of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”

Article 1 Section 8. It's right there again.

"Provide for the common defence and general welfare of the United States"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies