Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 12:35 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Why should customer service be considered unskilled, uneducated work?
Did you seriously just ask that question?

Here's why: Because it is unskilled work. Education plays very little part, and just to keep things straight, I never said that it did. If you're educated enough to communicate effectively and read reasonably well, you can work pretty much any entry level position in any retail company in the country.

Quote:
Personally, the reason I don't shop at places like Wal-Mart anymore is in part to the lack of genuine service, courtesy, and just the overall negative vibe I experience there. Just call it a preference and leave it at that please...
My experience (with everything in life, not just shopping at Wal*Mart) is that you get what you give. You've already got a huge bias against Wal*Mart, primarily shaped the same as the anti-Wal*Mart union generated rhetoric, so I have some foundation for believing that you've taken on their position based on their propaganda. Taking that into consideration, why should I believe that you've ever entered a Wal*Mart with an open and objective mind? If you go there expecting certain things, you'll find them - and miss everything else.

Quote:
Why go after hundreds of smaller fish when we can unite as consumers and labor...
(union rhetoric)
Quote:
...and go after the big fish that all the small fish follow. Truthfully, I'm pretty sick of all greed whether it's Sears, Wal-Mart or Goldman-Sachs.
What about the greed of the unions? Collectively, they're one of the biggest - if not the biggest - lobbying group in the country. Some of the things they extort from the employers are absolutely obscene. But there's nary a peep from you or your kind about that. In your eyes, unions are the answer to problems that, in the real world, don't exist.

You and I will probably never be "united" on whether or not Wal*Mart is doing anything wrong with regard to the wages they pay, so "we" won't be "going after" any company, large or small. Many more people are on my side of this issue than on yours, so "uniting" with those who hold the same position as you isn't likely to be successful in changing much of anything. Any success you do achieve will only result in rising prices at the point of sale - those at the top will not see their paychecks reduced - and all you will have accomplished is hurting the very financial class you claim to be trying to help.

Quote:
Personally doing the right thing is just what should be done.
The "right thing" would be for you to acknowledge that people are in charge of their own destiny. Neither Wal*Mart nor any other business is obligated to pay people more than the labor being provided is worth, regardless of how well the company is doing overall. An employer's responsibility to its employees begins and ends with the employment contract. As long as that agreement is not breached, and no laws are broken along the way, then there is no case to be made that wages are too low or benefits are lacking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 01:22 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
This thread has veered from the original topic to a typical "Wal*Mart is bad because they pay the same wages that every other retailer, who isn't as bad, pays" thread. While I LOVE debating that topic, I really don't have the time for it, so due to that and the fact that the thread wasn't even supposed to be about that, I probably won't be posting in it anymore.

When it comes to these Wal*Mart threads, the bottom line never changes, and that is that if you don't like Wal*Mart, don't shop there. If enough people agree with you, they'll either change their business model or go out of business altogether. If not enough people are in agreement with you, then your position isn't very popular and doesn't deserve much attention anyway.

Have a GREAT day!

Old 04-14-2011, 01:31 PM

59,082 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
I'm not going to debate with you, but really what did WM make in profit last year?? Would they really have to raise prices to give some of that money back to those who make it and thus reinvest in the company's workforce? I'm not saying this to hurt business, but rather to help it. Would it lower the multi-million dollar salaries at the top, yes, but they'd still make out like Kings. You act like WM barley hangs on with the oh so slim profit margins they are making. Perhaps paying people enough would encourage a more dedicated and devoted workforce that is better rested and more productive due to not having to work 2 or 3 jobs to get by. Is it possible that increased per capita efficiency would actually increase the bottom line?
NOBODY is forcing anybody to work at any place, WAL Mart included. When you apply for the job, and thousands do, you know what is offered going in. If you don't like the package, don't take the job.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Time to start taxing the rich again.

This, "give the wealthy tax breaks so that they can provide jobs." is a scam! Judging by your post, you apparently acknowledge this also.
The rich pay more than there share as it is and you liberals always want more. It is you who are the greedy ones.

I ask you again, how many people do you employ?

If you know so much about business, start you own and pay whatever you feel is fair. I'll bet you don't last 6 months.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The Wal-Mart effect: Its Chinese imports have displaced nearly 200,000 U.S. jobs
Robert E. Scott
June 25, 2007

The Wal-Mart effect: Its Chinese imports have displaced nearly 200,000 U.S. jobs
He writes for the Economic Policy Institute, "EPI was the first — and remains the premier — think tank to focus on the economic condition of low- and middle-income Americans and their families. Its careful research on the status of American workers has become the gold standard in that field."

About the Economic Policy Institute

You don't think he has a bias, do you?

Old 04-14-2011, 02:47 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Walmart? Run into the ground? Right. I don't shop their anyway.
you do bring up a good point, no they are not run into the ground. Like you, I don't shop there. Well I lie, I do rarely. We don't have a lot of choices living in NWA.

The poster is so far off base, they are not returning to basics, they are just bringing back a lot more selection than they have had the past year or so. People asked for more choices, they will get them. Walmart was never progressive nor were they attempting to be anyhere close to upscale or organic.

NIta

Old 04-14-2011, 02:49 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Wal-Mart is a large-scale retailer, just like any other large-scale retailer. As far as I am concerned, walking into a Wal-Mart is the same as walking into a Sears or a Target or a Home Depot or a Lowes or a K-Mart.
NO WALMARTs deliberate driving suppliers overseas is well documented. If the Middle class is to survive in America forcing the worlds largest retailer to unionize and would be a giant step forward

Old 04-14-2011, 03:16 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post

You are a snob, when you look down on other people who don't have the choices you have, and from the options available to them, have made the most logical, rational choice possible.
I am neither a progressive nor a democrat, but I feel the need to stand up for snobbery. People born of the right stock and who work hard by educating themselves, striving to achieve, and obtaining credentials earn the right, I believe, to look down on the average.

Only the people on the losing end of snobbery call it snobbery. The other side calls it being successful.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:20 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
I am neither a progressive nor a democrat, but I feel the need to stand up for snobbery. People born of the right stock and who work hard by educating themselves, striving to achieve, and obtaining credentials earn the right, I believe, to look down on the average.

Only the people on the losing end of snobbery call it snobbery. The other side calls it being successful.
I think your post must be a joke, but I have to ask, what is the "right stock" to be born of?

Old 04-14-2011, 03:21 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
If the same people who decry Wal*Mart for "not sharing their wealth" would then agree that when a company is loosing money the workers would take a corresponding pay cut and corresponding loss of benefits.....

We all know the unions would agree to that

Wal*Mart should be commended for recognizing the progressive disease in their corporation and expunging it.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies