Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 11:19 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I thought liberals were boycotting Target because they're not pro-homosexual enough?
I could give a rat's ass about any of that stuff.

All I know is, I noticed that the products that I was buying from Wal-Mart began disappearing from the shelves over the last couple of months, evidently to make room for more Slim Jims and canisters of Pringles.

Now there is nothing left that I would be willing to buy, so I won't bother stopping in.

What that has to do with politics isn't of much concern to me. They have made a decision to not appeal to the kind of shopper I am: someone that doesn't live on Pringles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 11:24 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You don't shop their what?
When all else fails, attack grammar/spelling.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:53 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I gave you two examples of things I purchased last Thursday at significant savings. I also purchased salmon at Wal-Mart. Yes, it's frozen, but when you live in rural Middle America, fresh seafood is very hard to get. I purchased the sockeye salmon, which is more expensive. But it's not like any other store in the area actually carries sockeye salmon.

It's lovely that you are surrounded with groceries. I am not. One grocery store in town. Coke this week is on special, $2.25 for a two-liter bottle. The produce section literally drips, the food is so rotten. Is it any wonder that I and so many others in my town choose to travel to other towns to shop at Wal-Mart?

You are a snob, when you look down on other people who don't have the choices you have, and from the options available to them, have made the most logical, rational choice possible.
Actually, I'm a snob and feel no reason to hide behind a curtain. And part of this snobbery comes with the desire to not buy into slogans and myths. Never saw having the advantage of options that are undoubtedly better than Walmart in price and quality as snobbery though. I will take even THAT.

Having said that, are you in disagreement with my post about issues with Walmart?

Old 04-12-2011, 11:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I save even more money by not shopping very much. When I do I look for sales or surplus. I also can find good deals at pawn shops. I have checked our Wall- mart but not been favorably impressed. It is too physically crowded, too much junk, crude psychological selling and really friendly staff and customers. It would not save me enough money to be worth the hassle.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:02 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
I did just say that ..

I shop many different places, in various towns from Seattle to Houston, and Walmart, is indeed a fail .. Bigger doesn't necessarilly mean better ..

Walmart is losing it's ass over these past few years because of the shoddy products, non existant customer service, aisles stuffed so full of dollar store items that you can't get your cart through .. 25 checkout registers and only two of them open ..

If I go to Walmart to get 5 or 6 items, I'm done in 5-10 minutes .. and then stand from 35 to 45 minutes "waiting" to pay for it.

True .. everybody just loves Walmart .. you can tell by the way you've got to walk across that 90 acre parking lot, or be stuck in line trying to checkout. Bent up shopping carts that pull constanly left from being hit by cars all day out in that 90 acre parking lot .. traffic congestion .. cars blocking the parking row waiting for 15 minutes for someone to pull out who's parked closer to the doors ..

Filthy bathrooms and floors .. bait and switch pricing .. Price says one thing on the shelf, but rings up higher at the register ..

Oh, and the food .. Meat tastes like the container it's packaged in, rotten produce, sour milk, frozen cheese ..

U-Bet .. A real winner that Walmart is .. when really it's a mess, and they know it. Why do you suppose they are spending billions on new paint lately? ..

A pig is a pig regardless of where you poke it .. and on the national level, Walmart is a resounding retail embarrassment.
Wow, that's quite a mouthful.

Yet, despite all your claims, they're still wildly popular - and not just with poor people. How do you explain that?

Old 04-12-2011, 12:02 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
So Wal Mart is going to decrease in quality. Gotcha.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:04 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
lol...cuz Target is so much high class?
People that think Target is any better than Wal*Mart also think that Macaroni Grill and Applebee's are "nice" restaurants.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:08 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Soooooooooo. Progressives not so good in business.

After suffering seven straight quarters of losses, today the merchandise giant Wal-Mart will announce that it is “going back to basics,” ending its era of high-end organic foods, going “green,” and the remainder of its appeal to the upscale market.

The failure, in large part, can be pinned to Leslie Dach: a well-known progressive and former senior aide to Vice President Al Gore. In July 2006, Dach was installed as the public relations chief for Wal-Mart. He drafted a number of other progressives into the company, seeking to change the company’s way of doing business: its culture, its politics, and most importantly its products.

Out went drab, inexpensive merchandise so dear to low-income Americans. In came upscale organic foods, “green” products, trendy jeans, and political correctness. In other words, Dach sought to expose poor working Americans to the “good life” of the wealthy, environmentally conscious Prius driver.

Pajamas Media » Wal-Mart Goes ‘Back to Basics’: A Cautionary Tale for the Left

Wal-Mart Goes (http://topics.dallasnews.com/article/00sJgrf30rg6l - broken link)

Politics - WSJ.com: Wal-Mart Goes ‘Back to Basics’:… (http://onespot.wsj.com/politics/2011/04/11/161e7/wal-mart-goes-back-to-basics-a-cautionar - broken link)

Michelle Obama Topics Page - USATODAY.com
AAWWWW, poor little Wallyworld, didn't make 10 billion only maybe 9 billion! Whatever will they do? HOW will they SURVIVE!

Maybe they should've lowered their prices for the crap they sell....maybe paid their workers more so they could afford that garbage....

Old 04-12-2011, 12:09 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Wow, that's quite a mouthful.

Yet, despite all your claims, they're still wildly popular - and not just with poor people. How do you explain that?
Because of media influence. It's the same group mentality behind the general public swaying support behind whatever the media supports political-wise.

AKA:

The general public is full of nothing but idiots.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:10 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
AAWWWW, poor little Wallyworld, didn't make 10 billion only maybe 9 billion! Whatever will they do? HOW will they SURVIVE!

Maybe they should've lowered their prices for the crap they sell....maybe paid their workers more so they could afford that garbage....

note to self,

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies