Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I believe the estimate of 9 million is...
Overinflated! 24 15.48%
Undercounted! 61 39.35%
Irrelevant! 53 34.19%
Shocking! 7 4.52%
Fantastic! 10 6.45%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 02:29 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Now how did I know before looking that your source was NARTH?
That poster has a hate agenda...it's readily apparent...... here's a REPUTABLE SCIENTIFIC LINK from the AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION with the FACTS. >>>>>

Lesbian & Gay Parenting: Theoretical & Conceptual Examinations Related to Lesbian & Gay Parenting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 03:22 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
9 million is VERY conservative.. I would say 30-50 million atleast... this of course is gay lesbian bisexual ..
most bisexuals don't claim to be gay.. they claim to be straight and then hit us up for sex on the side when their friends aren't around.. just sayin
Soooooooooo true! At least as I've seen it from my Monogamist Hetero vantagepoint.

I'm a Gym Bunny. Was a member of the same Gym for over two decades. Watched life stories unfold. Got...ahem...blow by blow accounts about what was happening in the Men's locker room, from straight guys, from closet cases, from Bi Swingers, from Gay friends.. And then I'd get stories from the Womenfolk, about these same guys. Before the date. After the date. Before the marriage. After the divorce... Twenty years observing these people, in that fishbowl of a town.

Talk about cross-referencing! And this was a town where the society ladies dished better dirt than did the Tawnyas. I got the scoop on the whole town (the ones who worked out, at least) all the way from the trailer-trash in Spandex crowd, to the Aristos in baggy Khakis crowd. Twenty years of hearing about these people from all angles, in that fishbowl of a town. I guess I've done the study. Maybe I should write a book.

So, I watched straight homophobes gradually broaden their horizons. I discovered that the loudest phobes loved to bend over for other fellas. I got to whisper death threats to the loudly homophobic old alcoholic Lawyer who grabbed my Husband's junk in the Shower (had a nicer person done it, we'd have let it slide...but this dude was so vile).

I watched the gorgeous Trophy Wife slowly realize that her wealthy, Horse-hung, Bodybuilder Hubby was just using her as bait, and that his primary interest in swinging was the young musclemen she was attracting. I hear that beneath her 'joyous, reborn, but cool and withit' religious act, she's bitter, and viciously homophobic.

I watched the religion-obsessed magnamillionaire heir, whom not one of my Gay friends had ever caught so much as glancing at another guy in the showers, be the perfect hetero, dating the right girls, then marry the perfect Beauty Queen...then get caught by her, in bed with a male hottie. Then, I got to hear, at parties, his Ex, describing their bizarre sex life. Then, I got to hear about the new wife, and his affair with his big, butch, Q@##r-hating 'Personal Trainer'.

And I got to hear about the security guard who ran around advocating torturing Gays to death, who would hit on hot young white guys, in the Locker Room. One Preacher got caught in the Lockerroom with a Trucker. One Preacher got busted for pedo stuff he tried, on-premises.

Too, I watched Gay men grow wealthy, then marry and start happy families. And on and on....

The most profound thing, in retrospect, was watching people slowly transform. I've seen straight. I've seen Gay. I've seen Sequential Bisexuality play out. I've seen covert bisexuality. I've seen overt, Sport-f#$%er Bisexuality. .... all from the comfort of the Cardio Machines and Weightrooms of the Gym.

Then, you have to consider that for Women, sexual attraction is generally a non-specific thing. A wide range of things turn women on. Women are naturally bisexual, to a far greater degree than are men (not me, however, but probably because I grew up around infirm, dying, unpleasant old Women).

And the skinny of it all is that I've come to observe that pretty-much NOBODY is 100 percent Straight or Gay, over the duration of his or her Sexual Life. So, my guess would be that the number is more like 50 or 60 percent of Americans are Gay or significantly Bisexual.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:39 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
That poster has a hate agenda...it's readily apparent...... here's a REPUTABLE SCIENTIFIC LINK from the AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION with the FACTS. >>>>>

Lesbian & Gay Parenting: Theoretical & Conceptual Examinations Related to Lesbian & Gay Parenting
Oh, but didn't you know that (according to the haters) the APA has a "liberal agenda"?

Old 05-14-2011, 07:57 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
NARTH? You're joking. That's like going to a KKK group for information about blacks.
NARTH are a religious conservative fringe group who believe in "pray away the gay".

As for your second link:
It wasn't even an actual "study". The guy just read some popular books with stories of carefully selected gay and lesbian families, picked what he wanted and came up with.... well....whatever he wanted to come up with. He has even LESS credibility than the de-registered Paul Cameron... if that's possible

“Children of Homosexuals†Researcher More Apt To Ape Paul Cameron
In addition, regarding Schumm's "research",

Study Claims Gays More Likely to Raise Gay Kids :: EDGE Boston

Schumm’s paper seeks to replicate Cameron’s work while acknowledging some of the criticisms of Cameron’s 2006 paper. It’s important to emphasize however that Schumm only acknowledges someof the criticisms. The most important criticism - the completely non-random nature of the so-called "dataset" that Cameron used - Schumm not only ignores, but he repeats that same flaw and embellishes it in a grandly enlarged form."

The article then goes into a more detailed critique of Schumm’s methodology and conclusions, including what the article says is a habit of "picking out a small paragraph of other researchers’ work while ignoring that researcher’s primary findings in the hope that nobody would notice." The Box Turtle Bulletin article dismisses Schumm’s paper, saying, "Schumm comes off appearing more ’sciencey’ than Cameron, but his methodology is exactly the same. And when you use the same methodology, you end up with the same result: junk science."

Old 05-14-2011, 08:30 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,871,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Hey, but your the "B" in GLBT!
And??

Old 05-14-2011, 11:34 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Soooooooooo true! At least as I've seen it from my Monogamist Hetero vantagepoint.

I'm a Gym Bunny. Was a member of the same Gym for over two decades. Watched life stories unfold. Got...ahem...blow by blow accounts about what was happening in the Men's locker room, from straight guys, from closet cases, from Bi Swingers, from Gay friends.. And then I'd get stories from the Womenfolk, about these same guys. Before the date. After the date. Before the marriage. After the divorce... Twenty years observing these people, in that fishbowl of a town.

Talk about cross-referencing! And this was a town where the society ladies dished better dirt than did the Tawnyas. I got the scoop on the whole town (the ones who worked out, at least) all the way from the trailer-trash in Spandex crowd, to the Aristos in baggy Khakis crowd. Twenty years of hearing about these people from all angles, in that fishbowl of a town. I guess I've done the study. Maybe I should write a book.

So, I watched straight homophobes gradually broaden their horizons. I discovered that the loudest phobes loved to bend over for other fellas. I got to whisper death threats to the loudly homophobic old alcoholic Lawyer who grabbed my Husband's junk in the Shower (had a nicer person done it, we'd have let it slide...but this dude was so vile).

I watched the gorgeous Trophy Wife slowly realize that her wealthy, Horse-hung, Bodybuilder Hubby was just using her as bait, and that his primary interest in swinging was the young musclemen she was attracting. I hear that beneath her 'joyous, reborn, but cool and withit' religious act, she's bitter, and viciously homophobic.

I watched the religion-obsessed magnamillionaire heir, whom not one of my Gay friends had ever caught so much as glancing at another guy in the showers, be the perfect hetero, dating the right girls, then marry the perfect Beauty Queen...then get caught by her, in bed with a male hottie. Then, I got to hear, at parties, his Ex, describing their bizarre sex life. Then, I got to hear about the new wife, and his affair with his big, butch, Q@##r-hating 'Personal Trainer'.

And I got to hear about the security guard who ran around advocating torturing Gays to death, who would hit on hot young white guys, in the Locker Room. One Preacher got caught in the Lockerroom with a Trucker. One Preacher got busted for pedo stuff he tried, on-premises.

Too, I watched Gay men grow wealthy, then marry and start happy families. And on and on....

The most profound thing, in retrospect, was watching people slowly transform. I've seen straight. I've seen Gay. I've seen Sequential Bisexuality play out. I've seen covert bisexuality. I've seen overt, Sport-f#$%er Bisexuality. .... all from the comfort of the Cardio Machines and Weightrooms of the Gym.

Then, you have to consider that for Women, sexual attraction is generally a non-specific thing. A wide range of things turn women on. Women are naturally bisexual, to a far greater degree than are men (not me, however, but probably because I grew up around infirm, dying, unpleasant old Women).

And the skinny of it all is that I've come to observe that pretty-much NOBODY is 100 percent Straight or Gay, over the duration of his or her Sexual Life. So, my guess would be that the number is more like 50 or 60 percent of Americans are Gay or significantly Bisexual.

you aren't lying... believe me.. I've been sucked in to that whole mess back when I first came out.. as a gay man you don't find sex.. it finds you.. in the most bizzarre strange places and from the most bizzarre strange people you would never think...
If I had a nickle for every "married straight man" that's made a pass at me or another gay friend of mine.. I'd think the world was half gay ATLEAST...
I think you are right mostly in saying that most people are bisexual.. those angry at gays are angry at their own levels of bisexuality and sexual frustration associated with social norms, their religious beliefs, and being too chicken$hit to actually be who they are and be honest with themselves and everyone else...
stereotypical gays are the ones that bare the brunt of this socially conservative attack.. but the real gay masses out there are the average joe's nobody suspects or knows about... it really is shocking.. and you're absolutely right.. the best place to witness this is at the gym...your average neighborhood gold's gym has more homosexual behavior/activity going on than the seediest of gay bars...

Old 05-14-2011, 11:48 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
I actually feel sorry for bisexuals.. because I know many gay men that avoid them like the plague, and women for the most part aren't too interested in a man that isn't 100% into her..
same goes for gay men.. you will always wonder in the back of your mind when you aren't enough to satisfy that person...any self respecting woman isn't going to get involved with a guy that one day says "honey mind if I hook up with another guy this weekend?" and I don't know of any gay man that wants to deal with a woman coming around... it's just weird for everyone.. we're in these gay/straight camps... and bisexuals for the most part jump into the straight camp.. but dabble in the gay camp on the side whether they're cheating on wives or g/f's or just seeking out discreet sex. to fullfill their needs they have to lie about who they are to EVERYONE.. otherwise nobody would want anything to do with them relationship wise...

Old 05-14-2011, 11:50 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
I see it as irrelevant, because I simply don't care.

Good for them if thats what they'd like to do. I think that the reason the number is so high is because Gay Americans are feeling more socially accepted now. So the closet cases start coming out of the wood works.

True freedom means that everyone can enjoy who they are.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:47 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I see it as irrelevant, because I simply don't care.

Good for them if thats what they'd like to do. I think that the reason the number is so high is because Gay Americans are feeling more socially accepted now. So the closet cases start coming out of the wood works.

True freedom means that everyone can enjoy who they are.
Well said.
When I wore the uniform to serve my country I took an oath. The oath did not include except this or that kind of american. I honestly don't care what a persons gender is. Gay bi or what ever. If they are happy then more power to them.
I think some of these polls and census groups have an agenda to stir the pot.
I dont understand the hate directed at gays or transexuals. They are just trying to live their lives and unfortunatly for them they are surrounded by bashers.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:35 AM

31,053 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
How about every major health organization?
Using words like "Every major group", "The Experts", "Everybody knows" means absolutely nothing without listing who these "Experts" are. Indentify the source and why they are impartial and you can substantiate your viewpoint
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies