Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:06 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times

Advertisements

it is NOT double taxation. your family, for tax purposes, is NEVER multi generational. Each income earner is required to pay taxes on what they earn. You didn't work for what your parents earned during their lifetime, they pay taxes on what they earn and you pay taxes on what you earn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It's not double talk. It's double taxed for a family.
show me anyplace in the tax code where there is a allowance for multi-generational tax returns. You might be able to claim your parents as a deduction under certain limited circumstances, but you cannot report their income as your own. That my friend is what your "my family" argument is trying to do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 02:56 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
You didn't work for what your parents earned during their lifetime, they pay taxes on what they earn and you pay taxes on what you earn.

I did not EARN an inheritance....It's a DOUBLE TAX............

My parents earned it.....and paid taxes......so they GIVE it to me....and I have to pay again.....

HAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....

Yea, it's NOT a double tax..............

Old 04-15-2011, 03:38 PM

IF you were in that 0.3%, and your parents GAVE you their estate you would have to pay taxes on it, because it is INCOME to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I did not EARN an inheritance....It's a DOUBLE TAX............

My parents earned it.....and paid taxes......so they GIVE it to me....and I have to pay again.....

HAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....

Yea, it's NOT a double tax..............

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-15-2011 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 04-15-2011, 03:40 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
1. Repeal bush tax cuts for everybody making over 75k single, 125k joint
2. End wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Libya. Close all military bases in Africa, Europe, and Asia. Leave military bases in South Korea and Japan.
3. End all corporate tax loopholes, lower corporate tax to 25%
4. Raise the payroll tax ceiling to 250k
5. Raise capital gains tax to 35%
6. Raise inhertience tax to 30% above 2 million, %50 over 10 million
7. Enact a single payer public option.
I like all of that, but if you raise the payroll tax to 250K, are you going to raise the payout for social security also?

Wouldn't be fair not to do that.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:33 PM

no, you would only increase receipts into the trust fund.

Better that just raising the cap, I'd remove the cap completely and tax ALL income, including dividends and cap gains. You could then do one of two things, reduce the overall FICA tax rate or eliminate the employer match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I like all of that, but if you raise the payroll tax to 250K, are you going to raise the payout for social security also?

Wouldn't be fair not to do that.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:38 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Once again we CAN"T pay off the debt, if do we eliminate all but the coins in circulation. Our Federal Reserve Notes only exist is we have a national debt.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:07 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
it is NOT double taxation. your family, for tax purposes, is NEVER multi generational. Each income earner is required to pay taxes on what they earn. You didn't work for what your parents earned during their lifetime, they pay taxes on what they earn and you pay taxes on what you earn.
show me anyplace in the tax code where there is a allowance for multi-generational tax returns. You might be able to claim your parents as a deduction under certain limited circumstances, but you cannot report their income as your own. That my friend is what your "my family" argument is trying to do...
The savings your parents leave you isn't really "income" in a traditional sense though. This is money left for posterity, money on which taxes have already been paid.

People are just bitter that they don't come from families who have saved up money through success and hard work. My parents would never take us out to eat, to movies, to amusement parks, or on vacations when we were little. I never got any presents for bdays, xmas. As a result they have saved up money. I already suffered a taxing childhood for their being frugal - they gave me hand me down clothing that were like 30 years out of fashion. When they leave me their inheritance why should I have to suffer again?

Of course, for the sake of paying off the national debt I am totally willing to enact a fair estate tax. But it would be that EVERYONE has to pay the same percentage, not just people who have inheritance in the millions. That's just people who aren't very frugal or successful being greedy at the expense of those who are. The key word here is FAIRNESS.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
1. Repeal bush tax cuts for everybody making over 75k single, 125k joint
2. End wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Libya. Close all military bases in Africa, Europe, and Asia. Leave military bases in South Korea and Japan.
3. End all corporate tax loopholes, lower corporate tax to 25%
4. Raise the payroll tax ceiling to 250k
5. Raise capital gains tax to 35%
6. Raise inhertience tax to 30% above 2 million, %50 over 10 million
7. Enact a single payer public option.
What is a single payer public option?

Anyway, I'd vote for you based on #2 alone.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-15-2011, 07:26 PM

but the rub is that a very large estate is often made up of UNTAXED capital gains that have been allowed to accumulate. The income produced by "your parents" during their lifetime is taxed by the estate tax after they die. If you inherit some of their estate you are taxed because it is income to you. It doesn't matter who inherits your parents estate, you or a stranger, either way you would be taxed because it was income.

You might not like it or have a different opinion on how it should work but that is how it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
The savings your parents leave you isn't really "income" in a traditional sense though. This is money left for posterity, money on which taxes have already been paid.

People are just bitter that they don't come from families who have saved up money through success and hard work. My parents would never take us out to eat, to movies, to amusement parks, or on vacations when we were little. I never got any presents for bdays, xmas. As a result they have saved up money. I already suffered a taxing childhood for their being frugal - they gave me hand me down clothing that were like 30 years out of fashion. When they leave me their inheritance why should I have to suffer again?

Of course, for the sake of paying off the national debt I am totally willing to enact a fair estate tax. But it would be that EVERYONE has to pay the same percentage, not just people who have inheritance in the millions. That's just people who aren't very frugal or successful being greedy at the expense of those who are. The key word here is FAIRNESS.
Look into gifting, because you can move assets intra generationally each year through gifts. fact is you are upset about something that less than 1% of the population will ever see. Unless your parents or you are multimillionaires...

Last edited by buzzards27; 04-15-2011 at 08:30 PM..

Old 04-15-2011, 08:16 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Once again we CAN"T pay off the debt, if do we eliminate all but the coins in circulation. Our Federal Reserve Notes only exist is we have a national debt.
Sure we can....just listen to this lady on the Today show....

TODAY Video Player

start's about the 2:30 minute mark.

We could pay everything off tomorrow.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies