Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 10:26 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,653,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Planned Parenthood prevents more abortions than it has ever provided by being a source of birth control for low income women.

It also provides preventative care and screenings that has saved countless womens' lives.

Federal law already prohibits federal funds being used for abortions. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

I support PP because it PREVENTS abortions and because it provides comprehensive medical care for low-income women. Also, because I'm grateful that it existed for me when I needed it--not for an abortion, but for routine Ob-gyn care and birth control when I didn't have any health insurance.
Amen!

PP was there for me when I was young, uninsured and in need of routine gyno services and birth control.

Those services for all women probably prevented a countless number of pregnancies -- some of which would have ended in abortions.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:33 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,097,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Do you have ANY idea what evidence means??

None of that is even remotely close to evidence that they are breaking Title X Funding laws. Not even the Republicans in Congress who were pushing the hardest to strip Planned Parenthood of their funding tried to state they were breaking Title X funding laws.
I never said there was "evidence" of it, but it's not much of a stretch to realize that funding for "medical care" could definitely be used for abortions. Either way, unless the doctors and staff are paid 100% via the proceeds from the women themselves (when they pay their $350-$950 for a first tri abortion), you cannot say that NO taxpayer dollars are being used for abortion procedures. As I said before, it's not like dollars are earmarked for specific things, so there is no possible way to say that x dollar is being used for x service. That would be like me going back to figure out which of my personal tax dollars went toward putting a pedestrian bridge over a road by my house. Why is this so hard for you all to understand?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:37 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,544,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I never said there was "evidence" of it, but it's not much of a stretch to realize that funding for "medical care" could definitely be used for abortions. Either way, unless the doctors and staff are paid 100% via the proceeds from the women themselves (when they pay their $350-$950 for a first tri abortion), you cannot say that NO taxpayer dollars are being used for abortion procedures. As I said before, it's not like dollars are earmarked for specific things, so there is no possible way to say that x dollar is being used for x service. That would be like me going back to figure out which of my personal tax dollars went toward putting a pedestrian bridge over a road by my house. Why is this so hard for you all to understand?
My guess is you've never seen the layers of paperwork associated with Federal monies? Every penny HAS to be accounted for, in and out, to an almost stifling degree. You absolutely can prove "x dollar is being used for x service," can and have to, to keep your funding.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I see the word subsidy has given you tourettes! These family planning centers have been around since 1970. They serve a multitude of different people, students, farm workers, people who have been laid off, and yes, even people with little income. But hey, if you'd rather see a surge in unplanned pregnancies.......
Huh? What difference does it make that they have been getting federal funds since 1970? It's still a subsidy, and people still rely on it for bailing themselves out when they do something stupid.

Again, people need to take responsibility for their actions. Do the deed without protection, expect that consequences may just occur.

Quote:

Did you even bother to read the link? Title X funds many of those faith-based centers.
And? I fail to see what this has to do with the OP and defunding PP, as the Christian centers are NOT offering abortions nor are they lobbying any politicians. I disagree with federal funding of any of these things, but that is neither here nor there on this specific thread.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I see your point clearly When you go to the
pdf file I posted the first words you see is
CHANGE. Pretty much the whole intro was
political. How PP was to be an integral part of
the new Health Care Reform and in making
it's laws - and that link was from 2009.

Now, I don't know about anyone else here, but
political agenda has no place in grants. The
problem with Title X is it did serve a purpose
for a period of time - until Medicaid catch up.
Now that time has come-for planned parenthood
to go off on their own. If they can survive, is
really not anyone's concern at the federal level,
as it is no longer 1970, the whole Title X program
needs to come to an end.

Unfortunately, once someone gets free federal
money.....oh it is so hard to turn away from
that

And I think both parties like using it as a wedge issue,
thus not discussing the real issues at hand.
Very true. There are so many aboard the federal funded gravy train and they will never willingly get off. We need to just derail the whole train!

I see PP as just a little pet of the federal gov't, one that caters to a disgusting abortion rights agenda, and it's not necessary when Medicaid and state-run programs provide the same services without all the political game playing. However, I think those other programs also need funding cuts (I'm for cuts across the board but especially for HHS programs b/c it takes up a massive part of the budget, more than DOD spending).

Old 04-13-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
if a baby dies in utero in the late stages of pregnancy you think she should have to carry the baby until she delivers weeks and weeks later? shouldn't the choice for hers alone to carry it any longer or not?

how do you force a woman to stay pregnant?
What are you talking about? If the baby is dead, it is not an abortion!!!

You force a woman to stay pregnant by not providing abortions....

I thought you were smarter than this.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:44 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,165,583 times
I think that James Dobson, Pat Robertson, American Family Association, the estates of Oral Roberts and Jerry Falwell should dig deeper into their pockets to contribute generously to Planned Parenthood.

Last edited by Visvaldis; 04-13-2011 at 10:57 AM..

Old 04-13-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"Our current estimated waiting time for the placement of a healthy US-born Caucasian infant is approximately 2 months to only 12 months. For a healthy US-born Black or bi-racial (Caucasian/African-American) infant the estimated wait is approximately 2 to 6 months."

What is the waiting period to adopt?

"The length of time a family waits for adoption can vary depending on a variety of factors- but the average wait time is between six and eighteen months."

Adoption Misconceptions Explained | How to Adopt a Child from the U.S.

The issue has never been a shortage of families waiting to adopt babies not killed by abortion. Women don't get abortions because they are unable to give a baby up for adoption. They get abortions so they don't have to be pregnant.
Thank you for some real facts on adoption! People, well, liberals, like to say nobody is adopting and all the aborted babies would go on to starve in the streets or be abused and it's simply not true. We have personally looked into adoption and it's a hard process that takes awhile, but the longest part of the process is being matched with a birth mother. Everyone wants a new baby, there is no shortage of prospective parents waiting for their chance.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:48 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,034,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
What are you talking about? If the baby is dead, it is not an abortion!!!
Actually, by all technicality, it is.

Even miscarriages are abortions.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Pubs don't love life, who are you kidding? You will drop 12,000 missles per day on a sovereign foreign nation, killing innocent men, women, children, and the elderly, all in the name of "spreading democracy."

Republicans love life as long as they can live it in the manner that gives them the greatest advantages. Damn the lives of the poor, the elderly, the handicapped, the blacks, the latinos, the disadvantaged, the union members, the middle class, the working class, the asians, the indians, the immigrants, the gays, the liberal whites,..., the environmentalists, the unprivileged, the underprivileged, the disadvantaged, the sick, the homeless, and the lives of animals in the wildlife.

How pompous and misguided you Republican men are for thinking you have the right to tell women what they should do with their bodies. Appalling the Pub attitude and knack for intrusive, very bad policies which show no compassion for the lives of many.
Hasty generalization. You should look it up. No, here, I'll provide the info for you:

Logical Fallacies» Hasty Generalisation Fallacy

Also, you may have missed it, but I'm a woman, and I do not agree with abortion under any circumstance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.