Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: why do so many people believe in voodoo economics?
the republicans lie to them 27 77.14%
the tea party lies to them 0 0%
the corporations lie to them 2 5.71%
the oligarchs lie to them 6 17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 06:42 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Now that we've had 30some years of trickle down economics, we can safely say that it does not work. It is no longer a theory, it's failure is proven history.
Right? And just over 30 years ago all was honky dory and most of the world was just about to emerge from the total destruction it received during WWII.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 08:51 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Now that we've had 30some years of trickle down economics, we can safely say that it does not work. It is no longer a theory, it's failure is proven history.
Perhaps we can put it on the scrape heap of history.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:58 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
You can...you just can't keep the money.

You have to spend it by purchases or, reinvestment.
Discretionary income doesn't "have to" be reinvested in the U.S.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:21 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Discretionary income doesn't "have to" be reinvested in the U.S.
True.

Even I have a little foreign investment on my taxes.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:03 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Obama has not overturned or changed one economic policy of the Bush years in any significant way. Not one.

Your post might have some validity if he did.

And just for your information. People paying too much for homes set in motion the course of events that led to the recession that Obama has kept us in the last 2 1/2 years.
The so called Wall Street Reform bill?

People paying too much for houses was not the main cause of the recession. The underlying factors of what caused the hyper inflated housing prices was the cause of the recession. Which was under Bush.

Obama inherited a truly horrific recession. One that is slowly ending. However, he is putting policies in place as to prevent another crisis like this from occurring.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Trickle down works very well at creating revenue and roaring economies.
The problem is the other end of the spectrum.

The spending.
Creating more and more spending expenditures, nullifies the whole thing.
It gets really bad when spending is increased dramatically and trickle down can't keep up.
Is that why wealth disparity has only increased?

Old 04-17-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem baptist View Post
If people didn't feel so entitled and lazy they can also get out of that 95% bracket easily. But instead they want people who work hard to give them free money by taxing the crap out of them intead.
How come you aren't a billionaire? Why aren't you in the top .01%?

Old 04-17-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
Bush didn't plant the seeds of the mortgage crisis. That happened because the Democrats before him put in place policies that made it too easy for Americans to buy homes.

Bush made many mistakes, but he doesn't deserve the blame for this. All Obama has done is increase the size of the federal government. The only jobs he can reasonably take credit for creating are civil service jobs.
Under Bush's watch we saw the most dramatic decrease in interest rates, more relaxed regulation of wall street and financial services, and less taxes on the wealthy (while resulting in less social programs for the poor).

The tiny seed was, granted put under Clinton, however, Bush supplied the manure...and tons of it.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:28 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
Bush didn't plant the seeds of the mortgage crisis. That happened because the Democrats before him put in place policies that made it too easy for Americans to buy homes.

Bush made many mistakes, but he doesn't deserve the blame for this. All Obama has done is increase the size of the federal government. The only jobs he can reasonably take credit for creating are civil service jobs.
I'm sorry but George W. Bush Jr. PERSONALLY endorsed housing frenzy with his "Ownership Societry" speeches.

Quote:
We're creating... an ownership society in this country, where more Americans than ever will be able to open up their door where they live and say, welcome to my house, welcome to my piece of property. - President George W. Bush, October 2004.
He was perfectly willing to leave the mortgage brokerage industry unregulated which was a major source of either fraudulent mortgages or mortgages given to people that had no business owning houses.

He also left the mortgage back security and credit default swap markets unregulated which was a major factor in the credit market meltdown.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:41 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
1. Without the desire to create profits, you'd have very little private investment. You may prefer to call profit greed, if you wish, but that's just semantic tic tac toe.

2. Without private investment, you'd have very little private sector employment.

I agree with you that true greediness and stupidity are negative qualities; but it is dangerous to categorize anyone who wants to make money -- either through investment or by working, directly or indriectly, for the investor -- as somehow evil.

Doing that comes perilously close to condemning 80% of our economy to some sort of moral hell. Keep in mind that that would have to include Ben and Jerry's, Starbucks, Apple, Dreamworks, The Daily Show, Whole Foods, Amaozon, Salon magazine, the NEA, the AFL-CIO, Teamsters, SEIU, and all your fave raves...
You totally misconstrued my meaning of the word greed. I find nothing wrong with people going into business, making an investment and getting a profit. I get the majority of my income from the financial markets. I make an above average income and I would have no problem paying the 39% tax rate under the Clinton Administration.

By greed I mean the pursuit of profit above long range health and environmental consequences i.e. hydraulic fracking. Above the national interests i.e. outsourcing, and destruction of the manufacturing base. Above concern for other human beings i.e. the Bernie Madoff scandal. And above moral ethics i.e. the use of fraudulent documentation by banks to foreclose on people's homes.

We've seen to have reached an ethical crises in this country where the pursuit of profit and wealth has distorted many people's sense of morality, fairness, justice, and their regard for their fellow human being.

In fact I now call it F**k You Capitalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies