Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 10:12 AM

8,860 posts, read 5,345,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
Actually, it is important that you are getting the same fraction of GDP in, not if the same amount of population is paying. In a coutry with greater income equality, we'd expect fewer people to be paying into the system while still getting the same funding.
So some taxpayers should pay more than other taxpayers for UHC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 10:13 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,967,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
People like myself assume that I will personally be paying for things because I pay taxes and last time I checked the gov. doesn't make any money other than what it takes from me.
But people always blow up and act like they're personally going to finance things alone or something.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post

That is true, but other countries systems result in greater quality of life and longer lifespan for half the cost.
Unless, of course, they determine you cost too much too keep around.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:15 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,837,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
But people always blow up and act like they're personally going to finance things alone or something.
I don't think I'm financing things alone but I do know that I'm part of a group of people in this country that does finance everything and we sure as hell don't make up anywhere near 100% of the people in this country. We don't even make up half at this point.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Well if we're paying taxes out of our paychecks it sounds like personally financing things to me.

Why does America owe people college?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:17 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,885,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Well if we're paying taxes out of our paychecks it sounds like personally financing things to me.

Why does America owe kids a schooling?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post

Exactly.

If it's not a personal thing but instead it's a "WE" situation where everyone pulls together to pay for it but in reality only about half of us actually pay anything that isn't really a WE is it? No of course not, it's an US and THEM situation and the majority of the people who want to be added to the rolls of those with health coverage also happen to be in the group who would pay nothing towards the cost of universal health care because they pay nothing now..

Old 04-13-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Why does America owe kids a schooling?
Because the US Constitution calls for it.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:25 AM

41,878 posts, read 74,938,731 times
My spouse is disabled and undergoing treatment for pancreatic cancer. After his surgery and 12-day hospital stay, we received one bill: for the TV and phone in his hospital room. He pays a small co-pay for each oncologist visit, nothing for his chemotherapy, and only a slightly larger co-pay for every scan and test that keeps an eye on his health.

If he didn't have Medicare, he'd be dead now. Who says socialized health care is a bad thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I hear a lot of people saying that conservatives like myself don't want people to have health coverage which is completely false. I want all US citizens to be healthy and have access to affordable health care, I just don't want my hard earned tax dollars to be spent on it because I work to pay for my own health insurance and that's not cheap.
Uhhhhhh ... If there were a single-payer health plan, you wouldn't need to buy your own health insurance. Instead, you'd be paying for your health care with ... tax dollars!

Old 04-13-2011, 10:28 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,469,517 times
Default Postcode Lottery - UK

Healthcare postcode lottery means patients losing out on cancer treatments - Telegraph

'Postcode lottery' of NHS care revealed in full - Telegraph

Report finds 'stark' evidence of healthcare postcode lottery | UK news | The Guardian

NHS reforms could worsen postcode lottery, managers warn - Telegraph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies