Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 09:55 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,851,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Metal View Post
Imagine if you didn't have to pay more, but less! Everyone is covered. That means, the healthier people are, the more productive to society they are, therefore saving you MORE money on your taxes, you would have to pay for on uninsured peoples emergency care visits that they otherwise couldn't pay for anyway.
That's a pipe dream that makes sense on paper but like most other gov. plans never works out in the end. There are tons of people in this country who would quickly choose to not be productive once the gov. agreed to cover one more aspect of their life. We see that now with housing and food assistance which are supposed to be temporary but have become a life long situation for millions who choose it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 09:56 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
UK - 63,000,000 people with approximately 242,000 sq km.

US - 314,000,000 people with approximately 9,160,000 sq km.

Is that really apples to apples to you folks?

Old 04-13-2011, 09:56 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,243 times

Source: National Geographic.

A well-performing, efficient health care system will have a thick line, low on the left and high on the right side.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:57 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
because it was never affordable

the demographics of those on medicare is the most expensive (costly) demographic (sorry to say it but the eldery require more and more heath costs)

medicare has never been truely affordable to the elderly since its not a 100% coverage singlepayer system like medicaid (it requires the eldery to pay into the system and to buy PRIVATE supplemenatal insurance

the problem is not costs of incusrance or cost pof medicare/medicaid....its the general costs of healthcare...and no government or private company can controll that,,,especially when you have the FED devaluing the dollar
If Medicare weren't about affordability of health care to the seniors, then perhaps taking it away won't matter to them, right? There are two aspects of affordability, and you missed one of them. Affordability to the nation is what I question. Why is it unaffordable (to the nation)?

442 posts, read 552,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
So now I should be paying for everyone else's college as well as their healthcare?
This is the difference.

Americans -Me
Europeans -We

9,949 posts, read 8,851,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Metal View Post
You really don't get how it really is out there. People are taking any jobs they can find! Are you kidding? Many Americans are either unemployed, or underemployed and working 2-3 part time jobs, living paycheck to paycheck! Even people with degrees!!!!
Where is "out there"? I live out there, I work out there... I know how it is, I'm well aware that many people choose to sit at home and collect unemployment over making changes in their lives which would allow them to become productive citizens. If you need 99 weeks to find a job you're not looking very hard.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:58 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
UK - 63,000,000 people with approximately 242,000 sq km.

US - 314,000,000 people with approximately 9,160,000 sq km.

Is that really apples to apples to you folks?
What relationship between land area and health care have you discovered?

Old 04-13-2011, 09:58 AM

37,964 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I just don't want the United States government to force tax payers to pay for it. A public option that didn't require funding from tax dollars would be great, single payer would be great if that single payer wasn't the US tax payers.

I hear a lot of people saying that conservatives like myself don't want people to have health coverage which is completely false. I want all US citizens to be healthy and have access to affordable health care, I just don't want my hard earned tax dollars to be spent on it because I work to pay for my own health insurance and that's not cheap. I'm by no means rich, I shouldn't have to subsidize people who may not even want health insurance in the first place.

Call me greedy or heartless, I don't really care because it's not the federal government's place to provide health insurance for people.
The government's place is to provide a framework of laws and regulations and protect our rights and freedoms, so that we can have free market where we can buy affordable health care.

There are things government can do to promote affordable health care, and lower the impingements to high costs. Sadly, the only solution that democrats ever envision is a government take over.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:59 AM

442 posts, read 552,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
That's a pipe dream that makes sense on paper but like most other gov. plans never works out in the end. There are tons of people in this country who would quickly choose to not be productive once the gov. agreed to cover one more aspect of their life. We see that now with housing and food assistance which are supposed to be temporary but have become a life long situation for millions who choose it.

You haven't studied up on where it works fine everywhere else. I am not surprised at all. It is all about "BLAH BLAH LAZY PEOPLE..." Am I right?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:00 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The most common expression from the Right is: "I don't want my tax money paying for sombody else's health care." The next most common is: "I want ti used to make a contractor rich by killing people in some foreign land."

Effectivly it means "my health is important and your death is irrelevant."
There's always more money for bombs, bullets, and bailouts for billionaires. But damned if Uncle Sam has any money for band aids and books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies