Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:39 PM

932 posts, read 1,176,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The irony is, that with more people going, college tuition and costs have just skyrocketed. College was actually much more affordable back in the 60's when not so many people went, even kids who worked their way through college could easily pay for it back then.
I actually wish that people were also encouraged to pursue more "blue collar" careers that can actually be very lucrative and rewarding. Too many people are following the herd and getting business degrees, only to find they end up competing against 100 others for the same $12 an hour accounts payable position.

Personally, I am looking into trucking as an alternative to the rat-race. I can train for a fraction of the cost of going back to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 09:42 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
I'm talking simply as one who has seen ads, and also seen how educational requirements in my own employers/sisters corps have changed over time. Some of it could well be to avoid a deluge of responses due to sky high unemployment.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:03 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
If you can't afford to go to a private school, go to a public one. Community College is "cheap" for the first 2 years.
My son is a freshman in hi skool. I've already talked to him about the benifits of a community college for a couple years. It makes too much sense. We have the money to put him through a four year school but it's like throwing it away. Same teachers who teach at Drake University go to the local comm college and teach courses there at night here. Lot of em anyway. Now of course I also told him he now has an incentive to get a scholarship if he wants to gallivant off to some 4 year school in the sun and chase skirts.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
My son is a freshman in hi skool. I've already talked to him about the benifits of a community college for a couple years. It makes too much sense. We have the money to put him through a four year school but it's like throwing it away. Same teachers who teach at Drake University go to the local comm college and teach courses there at night here. Lot of em anyway. Now of course I also told him he now has an incentive to get a scholarship if he wants to gallivant off to some 4 year school in the sun and chase skirts.
The first 2 years is general ed with maybe one or two of your major courses.
You get that 2 year degree and go on to get that 4 year.

All companies ask for is the Bachelors. It's the same degree whether you went there 4 years or 2 years.

And many states now have a common course numbering system where you can see if that Music Appreciation class at the CC is the same offered at the university and is transferable.

It's quite easy to find out what classes transfer or not. Back when I went to the CC and then on to the University it wasn't so easy and I had to do a lot of cross referencing between 2 catalogs to make sure the classes I took were transferable. Intro to Basket Weaving and classes like that is what you have to weed out.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:32 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
"Intro to Basket Weaving and classes like that is what you have to weed out."

I guess he better not get a football scholarship then. LOL

He actually wants to be a petroleum engineer. If he stick with that I think he'll end up going to a four year school and get in an engineering program. No time for skirts going that route either too much bookwork. lol. Actually they can get a lot of college credits out of the way in high school nowdays.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:38 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The first 2 years is general ed with maybe one or two of your major courses.
You get that 2 year degree and go on to get that 4 year.

All companies ask for is the Bachelors. It's the same degree whether you went there 4 years or 2 years.

And many states now have a common course numbering system where you can see if that Music Appreciation class at the CC is the same offered at the university and is transferable.

It's quite easy to find out what classes transfer or not. Back when I went to the CC and then on to the University it wasn't so easy and I had to do a lot of cross referencing between 2 catalogs to make sure the classes I took were transferable. Intro to Basket Weaving and classes like that is what you have to weed out.
Hell, you just told us last night everyone needs a masters!

Old 01-05-2012, 08:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Hell, you just told us last night everyone needs a masters!
You need to learn to read posts "in context" of what they are discussing.
Maybe you don't know but you still need a Bachelor's degree to show companies as well as a Master's if they require it.

What you don't need to show is that 2 year AS/AA degree you got at the CC.

And I didn't say "everyone". The market is saturated with 4 year degrees now and many companies are requesting a Masters.
"Many", not "all".

Old 01-05-2012, 08:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Maybe you don't know but you still need a Bachelor's degree to show companies as well as a Master's if they require it.

Agreed, though I have been asked for transcripts, which do show where you took the courses.

BTW, Laura Bush has an MLS (Master's in Library Science).

Old 01-05-2012, 08:48 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,196,723 times
This is America, we need all the people in school we can get. We should be rewarding education.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:54 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:

And I didn't say "everyone". The market is saturated with 4 year degrees now and many companies are requesting a Masters.
"Many", not "all".

And the implications of that is its becoming an aristocracy. Our colleges are not turning out skilled professions, but rather we are looking for the well financed who can afford finishing school. I'd say we are nearly Rome already since we do not lack of vomitoriums where university teaches the highest art of regurgitation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies