Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 11:13 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,480,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
But at what price?
At what price what?

Do you mean if we get rid of Medicare since we have Obamacare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 11:13 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Remember when Democrats passed Obamacare last year?

The law MANDATES that every American purchase health insurance. And that insurance companies will not be able to deny people from coverage.

If our new law requires purchase - then insurance companies will have to provide it.

Why would we even need Medicare, if we are required to buy our own insurance?
The law technically mandates that all Americans be covered with health insurance. Older folks continue with Medicare as any sane person would recognize, insurance companies would want them only if they're useful. But then, they do that with younger folks also. It prevents cherry picking, and forces the insurers to not deny coverage (or purge customers off when they get to be overly expensive). The cost? Well, that is where mandate comes into play, the promise of a larger pool to make up for having to take high risk consumers.

And since I'm decades away from qualifying for Medicare, if there is a change that will affect me, reduced benefits, I would prefer reduced taxes as well. If that affects today's beneficiaries, so be it!

Old 04-14-2011, 11:20 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,217,959 times
Raise S.S. taxes 1-2% on everybody and pay for universal and unlimited health care.

Increase preventative medicine to lower costs.

Limit drug patents to 20-25 years.

Just make it illegal for Congress to use the money for anything else.

Get the insurances companies out of health care for good. They are an unnecessary and parasitic waste of money.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The law technically mandates that all Americans be covered with health insurance. Older folks continue with Medicare as any sane person would recognize, insurance companies would want them only if they're useful. But then, they do that with younger folks also. It prevents cherry picking, and forces the insurers to not deny coverage (or purge customers off when they get to be overly expensive). The cost? Well, that is where mandate comes into play, the promise of a larger pool to make up for having to take high risk consumers.

And since I'm decades away from qualifying for Medicare, if there is a change that will affect me, reduced benefits, I would prefer reduced taxes as well. If that affects today's beneficiaries, so be it!

I understand that seniors now and for some time shouldn't have Medicare altered. But, at some point it shouldn't be necessary if we all by private insurance by law. Right?

Or is Obamacare only a requirement until you reach the eligibility age for Medicare? Does anyone know?

Old 04-14-2011, 11:27 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,918,607 times
Quote:
I understand that seniors now and for some time shouldn't have Medicare altered. But, at some point it shouldn't be necessary if we all by private insurance by law. Right?

Or is Obamacare only a requirement until you reach the eligibility age for Medicare? Does anyone know?

Till medicare I believe.

in re cost...... guaranteed insurability does not mean affordable. The premium for a 70 year old would have to be substantial.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:31 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:

The Health Care Reform includes Medicare, doesn't replace it. In fact, a key element is to reduce future Medicare costs. Part of the idea involves identifying wasteful spending. Another aspect involves making sure that people who are eligible for medicare, don't come from a pool that didn't have any coverage or reasonable access to health care. Such populace has the likelihood of being costlier to the system if they never sought treatment or their symptoms went unnoticed for years.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Till medicare I believe.

in re cost...... guaranteed insurability does not mean affordable. The premium for a 70 year old would have to be substantial.
Thanks Jeffrow.

And Thanks EinsteinsGhost.

Quote:
The Health Care Reform includes Medicare, doesn't replace it. In fact, a key element is to reduce future Medicare costs. Part of the idea involves identifying wasteful spending. Another aspect involves making sure that people who are eligible for medicare, don't come from a pool that didn't have any coverage or reasonable access to health care. Such populace has the likelihood of being costlier to the system if they never sought treatment or their symptoms went unnoticed for years.
But, but...

So are you saying that some folks will still be eligible for Medicare and some will not depending on health? And that some folks will still be required to purchase their own insurance if not eligible for Medicare?

If Medicare is reduced over time, it could potentially be eliminated and taxes would not be withheld from our paychecks.

It is the claim of the administration that the Affordable Care Act will reduce insurance premiums over time. So nothing to worry about as we age.

Medicare won't be needed. And everyone will be covered because it's the law.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:16 PM

54 posts, read 61,511 times
I had the plan explained to me and it was not Paul Ryan. Those that are 55 now would be eligible in 2021when the voucher plan goes into effect and we who are collecting now will have died off. Problem is what to do now, not 10 years from now. Still a stupid plan with the same problems. We may be extinct by then. If it is so cost effective why not implement it now?
2021 is a joke.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:37 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer2 View Post
Raise S.S. taxes 1-2% on everybody and pay for universal and unlimited health care.

Increase preventative medicine to lower costs.

Limit drug patents to 20-25 years.

Just make it illegal for Congress to use the money for anything else.

Get the insurances companies out of health care for good. They are an unnecessary and parasitic waste of money.
Do you honestly believe the federal gov't can handle health care for the entire country?

They can't even run the Post office efficiently.

EVERY gov't program is full of waste fraud and abuse.

Even the strictest agency of the gov't, the IRS cant' collect all the taxes due. They claim about (they don't even know the correct number) $330 BILLION in unpaid taxes.

“If these two government-run healthcare programs, Medicare and Medicaid, are eating up $900 billion in waste, fraud and abuse, how will adding even more government-run healthcare programs make things better?”

Waste, fraud and abuse - TheHill.com

Is this who you trust?

Old 04-14-2011, 01:13 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
This is all such a great argument for single payer.
It certainly is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies