Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 08:03 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,479,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Please provide a link to the sick leave laws. I don't think there are any in Colorado; it's all up to the employer.

Please provide a link that this ordinance was never in effect in Milwaukee.

This guy Walker strikes me as just so arrogant; some day he may do something that brings about his immediate recall.

You are probably correct that sick leave is up to the employer, I think that maternity leave is mandated by law.

Here is the link you asked for from the Milwaukee Sentinel.

Bill voiding sick leave law sent to Walker - JSOnline

Quote:
This guy Walker strikes me as just so arrogant; some day he may do something that brings about his immediate recall.
Like what? Balance the state budget - like he was ELECTED to do?

By the way ... Unions are alive and well in Wisconsin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 08:07 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,479,843 times
Quote:
Because not all employers are so enlightened. It is true that most professional jobs do give sick time as a benefit. However, that is not true of more unskilled labor jobs and those people get sick, too, and deserve some paid sick days.

You are wrong. No one deserves paid sick days.

Also, how many states REQUIRE BY LAW that employers must provide at least 5 paid sick days to employees?

Old 04-15-2011, 08:18 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,507,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
You are wrong. No one deserves paid sick days.

Also, how many states REQUIRE BY LAW that employers must provide at least 5 paid sick days to employees?
teachers in oshkosh used to get an unbelievable 90 days paid sick leave..

that's half of the days they're normally expect to work in an entire year.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,665,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
You are probably correct that sick leave is up to the employer, I think that maternity leave is mandated by law.

Here is the link you asked for from the Milwaukee Sentinel.

Bill voiding sick leave law sent to Walker - JSOnline

Like what? Balance the state budget - like he was ELECTED to do?

By the way ... Unions are alive and well in Wisconsin.
The Family Leave Act requires companies of over 50 employees (I believe) to give UNPAID leave for having/adopting a baby or care of a sick relative.

Walker thought the budget was strong enough to give a lot of tax breaks to businesses. The state employees already get sick leave, except in unusual circumstances. This has nothing to do with balancing the state budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

More RW blather. It's possible that if someone used every day they had coming to them, e.g. funeral leave, sick leave, personal days, jury duty time, etc, it could come to that, but that's just RW hate-mongering.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
State governments have full right to determine the benefits of their own employees but IMO do not have the right to mandate benefits on private employers.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:47 AM

17,397 posts, read 11,963,402 times
Quote:
You're talking about Hepatitis B, not A. Next time, know your facts before you mock someone.

CDC DVH - Hepatitis A FAQs for the Public

What should I do if I ate at a restaurant that had an outbreak of Hepatitis A?
Talk to your health professional or a local health department official for guidance. Outbreaks usually result from one of two sources of contamination: an infected food handler or an infected food source. Your health department will investigate the cause of the outbreak.

Keep in mind that most people do not get sick when someone at a restaurant has Hepatitis A. However, if an infected food handler is infectious and has poor hygiene, the risk goes up for patrons of that restaurant. In such cases, health officials might try to identify patrons and provide Hepatitis A vaccine or immune globulin if they can find them within 2 weeks of exposure.

On rare occasions, the source of the infection can be traced to contaminated food. Foods can become contaminated at any point along the process: growing, harvesting, processing, handling, and even after cooking. In these cases, health officials will try to determine the source of the contamination and the best ways to minimize health threats to the public.

Hepatitis A - PubMed Health

The hepatitis A virus is found mostly in the stools and blood of an infected person about 15 - 45 days before symptoms occur and during the first week of illness.

You can catch hepatitis A if:

You eat or drink food or water that has been contaminated by stools (feces) containing the hepatitis A virus (fruits, vegetables, shellfish, ice, and water are common sources of the hepatitis A virus)

You come in contact with the stool or blood of a person who currently has the disease

A person with hepatitis A does not wash his or her hands properly after going to the bathroom and touches other objects or food

You participate in sexual practices that involve oral-anal contact

About 3,600 cases of hepatitis A are reported each year. Because not everyone has symptoms with hepatitis A infection, many more people are infected than are diagnosed or reported.

Risk factors include:

International travel, especially to Asia or South or Central America

IV drug use

Living in a nursing home or rehabilitation center

Working in a health care, food, or sewage industry

Hepatitis B - PubMed Health

Hepatitis B infection can be spread through having contact with the blood, semen, vaginal fluids, and other body fluids of someone who already has a hepatitis B infection.

Infection can be spread through:

Blood transfusions (not common in the United States)

Direct contact with blood in health care settings

Sexual contact with an infected person

Tattoo or acupuncture with unclean needles or instruments

Shared needles during drug use

Shared personal items (such as toothbrushes, razors, and nail clippers) with an infected person

The hepatitis B virus can be passed to an infant during childbirth if the mother is infected

CDC DVH - Hepatitis B Information For the Health Professional

Hepatitis B is caused by infection with the Hepatitis B virus (HBV). The incubation period from the time of exposure to onset of symptoms is 6 weeks to 6 months. HBV is found in highest concentrations in blood and in lower concentrations in other body fluids (e.g., semen, vaginal secretions, and wound exudates). HBV infection can be self-limited or chronic.

In adults, only approximately half of newly acquired HBV infections are symptomatic, and approximately 1% of reported cases result in acute liver failure and death

(Mod note: These are all govt. websites.)
YOU might want to brush up on your facts. My point was that Hep A doesn't always have symptoms. I know what Hep A is. I know what Hep B is. I also know when an argument is being made that is meant to frighten instead of inform.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
More RW blather. It's possible that if someone used every day they had coming to them, e.g. funeral leave, sick leave, personal days, jury duty time, etc, it could come to that, but that's just RW hate-mongering.
factual statements are now 'RW blather' and 'RW hate-mongering.'

run, katie, run!

Old 04-15-2011, 08:55 AM

17,397 posts, read 11,963,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

More union crap. They know that teachers don't need and don't use that much sick time. But at the end of their career, they can cash those days in for cold, hard cash. I know, it's just part of the negotiation. But when the side that's supposed to be looking out for the taxapyer has been bought and paid for by the other side, you get this sort of "you scratch my back, I'll scratch your's" type of negotiations.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
More union crap. They know that teachers don't need and don't use that much sick time. But at the end of their career, they can cash those days in for cold, hard cash. I know, it's just part of the negotiation. But when the side that's supposed to be looking out for the taxapyer has been bought and paid for by the other side, you get this sort of "you scratch my back, I'll scratch your's" type of negotiations.
no kidding? wow.

you better batten down the hatches, as you'll shortly be accused of 'hate-mongering' and 'RW blather' for daring to make that statement.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,665,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
YOU might want to brush up on your facts. My point was that Hep A doesn't always have symptoms. I know what Hep A is. I know what Hep B is. I also know when an argument is being made that is meant to frighten instead of inform.
Total strawman argument. Hep A is what gets transmitted when sick employees serve food. I've given enough IG shots in people's butts to know that. It is well known that restaurnats put pressure on employees to come in sick. This helps spread the disease.

Hepatitis A : Food Poisoning Law Blog

About 12 percent of foodservice workers who were surveyed about their work attendance said they had gone to work while sick with diarrhea or vomiting -- a rate that Penn State University professors said was alarming. . . . In the summer of 2009, a worker at the McDonald's restaurant in Milan, Illinois, attended work over a period of days while she was sick with Hepatitis A. The exposure caused a Hepatitis outbreak of diarrheal illness, Hep A, that sickened at least 30 people.

My allowable three sentences. Read the article.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-15-2011 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: off topic/rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies