Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If gays can't legally marry, should straights be allowed to re-marry?
Yes 24 50.00%
No 24 50.00%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 06:53 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times

Advertisements

Ha! That would get people to legalize same-sex marriage much quicker!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
All marriages should be legal or illegal. No one should be excluded. If all men were created as equals then we should treat them as equals. Denying them the right to marry is the same as saying there is something wrong with them. God made gay people and I would never say God made a mistake. Unfortunately, many other straight people have no problem with judging God's creation.
Amen.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
Being attracted to the same or opposite sex is not the same as raping children. You can be born into this world gay, straight, blind, retarded, deaf, black, or white. People aren't born into this world as pedophiles, murderers, drug dealers, terrorists, or any other scum of society. God created the man that became a pedophile. God did not create a pedophile.
Another excellent post.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
This is, perhaps, the most-stupid thread ever to taint CD.

First of all, Gays CAN marry. There is absolutely no discrimination against them whatsoever. They can marry under the exact same set of conditions regular people can, i.e. you can't marry certain close family members, or members of the same sex. The restrictions are not applied in a discriminating manner, but apply to all equally. You may not LIKE them, but they are applied equally.

You can't name a single straight who thinks gays can't marry.
You're right. Gays can marry. But gays can't marry the person they love in most states and countries. As it stands, in most states and countries of the world, only heterosexual people can marry the person they love.

How would you feel if you could marry anyone in the world except the one person you love?

Old 04-16-2011, 07:30 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
I dont feel that anyone should be married..its discrimination against individualism

Old 04-16-2011, 08:57 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,834 times
Default The grave is dug. Waiting for the right moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Um well lets see.......As a gay man, me and my partner can not legally go down to the court house and get a legal marriage. Yet, my straight neighbor can take a woman, get married, divorce her after a year or so, find another woman, marry her, divorce her after 6 months, and repeat process, with no problem.

Explain to me how this is fair?
This falls under the time tested wisdom of the ages. LIFE IS NOT FAIR.
Never has been or will be. No one avoids or escapes this reality.
None of you gays want marriage anyway.
The historical gay attitude toward marriage was one of dismissive mockery, even hatred.
Feminist views on the subject being less than kind illistrate this.
"Marriage was for breeders" and "the root of all oppression." Remember?
The current vogue is nothing more than a political pose.

I predict.
The hottest new reality show of the new century will be
"Gay Divorce Court." Hosted by Ryan Seacrest. Damn that Simon.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:05 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
God CREATED pedophiles? So he created people with the propensity to rape children?

Sheesh, doesn't sound like a very nice guy at all.
If God created gays why couldn't God have created pedophiles?

"pedophile |ˈpedəˌfīl| ( Brit. paedophile)
noun
"a person who is sexually attracted to children.""

Old 04-16-2011, 09:27 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
This falls under the time tested wisdom of the ages. LIFE IS NOT FAIR.
Never has been or will be. No one avoids or escapes this reality.
None of you gays want marriage anyway.
The historical gay attitude toward marriage was one of dismissive mockery, even hatred.
Feminist views on the subject being less than kind illistrate this.
"Marriage was for breeders" and "the root of all oppression." Remember?
The current vogue is nothing more than a political pose.

I predict.
The hottest new reality show of the new century will be
"Gay Divorce Court." Hosted by Ryan Seacrest. Damn that Simon.
Who are YOU to tell 'US GAYS" what we want. and YES we DO want and DESERVE to get married to our partners JUST AS MUCH AS YOU DO. and CONSTITUTIONALLY we have the right to do so.
your little 'life is not fair' remark is stupid and demeaning. Why not make blacks sit at the back of the bus then.. and just say 'life is not fair'.

Also, I didn't know 'all gay's said ANYTHING.

Tell you, what YOU give up YOUR Right to marry, if you feel so strongly that it's not important, but STAY AWAY from MINE

Old 04-16-2011, 09:49 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Default original question....

If gays can't legally marry, should straights be allowed to re-marry?

First we must define and accept the source of marriage... Of course there will never be a consensus, but I submit ... that marriage is not a creation of man but from a divine "inspired" source.

We must also additionally acknowledge the legal aspect of marriage and this part is written by man, via inspiration. Inspired work is almost always simple and to the point. As with anything that man tries to understand or improve upon from his own perspective or intellect, he has an equal opportunity of corrupting.

When a man and a woman enters marriage, a divine inspired marriage, they should both accept the premise of marriage as it was originally designed. In addition... All the legally inspired aspects of the union. There are, and has always been... provisions to re-marry.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:52 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
If gays can't legally marry, should straights be allowed to re-marry?

First we must define and accept the source of marriage... Of course there will never be a consensus, but I submit ... that marriage is not a creation of man but from a divine "inspired" source.
You can't prove that. Marriage predates religion. It began as a business contract between families where the woman (usually a child) gave up all her rights to her husband. And in the US, marriage is a secular institution - no religious component required.

And if marriage is so sacred to Christianity, why did the founder of Protestantism oppose marriage and call it a "worldly thing"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies