Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Eliminate all property taxes
Yes 48 53.33%
No 36 40.00%
Depends??? 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 10:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I can pay for it when I need it or use it. Kinds like a private owned toll road.
Yea, well i'm tired of paying for dumb wars that don't benefit me. How do i get out of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 10:18 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
You own it but I have no problem having you pay for the government granted protection you receive for your deed. This is what should be taxed.
Title insurance is what you buy to protect your property from those who would steal it. Unfortunately government does not provide "protection" from those who would steal your property or use it to extort money from you (liens, or faked injuries). You would have to hire a lawyer at incredible expense to defend yourself against any such attack; government doesn't deal in consumer protection at all.

The only entity likely to steal your property is the local government, who will confiscate it and sell it if you can't pay the $14,000 or so demanded every year here in southern NH. And since this is basically paying "protection money" like you'd pay a Mobster not to beat you up, it is hardly justifiable. Or ethical.

Property taxes used to be simply to pay your pro-rata share of the public services you receive. Unfortunately local governments found it much more lucrative to be in the business of "wealth equalization" and now will charge you a huge amount to punish you for having a nice home.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:24 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Title insurance is what you buy to protect your property from those who would steal it. Unfortunately government does not provide "protection" from those who would steal your property or use it to extort money from you (liens, or faked injuries). You would have to hire a lawyer at incredible expense to defend yourself against any such attack; government doesn't deal in consumer protection at all.

The only entity likely to steal your property is the local government, who will confiscate it and sell it if you can't pay the $14,000 or so demanded every year here in southern NH. And since this is basically paying "protection money" like you'd pay a Mobster not to beat you up, it is hardly justifiable. Or ethical.

Property taxes used to be simply to pay your pro-rata share of the public services you receive. Unfortunately local governments found it much more lucrative to be in the business of "wealth equalization" and now will charge you a huge amount to punish you for having a nice home.
The government does record your deed. I am actually for land tax, not improved property tax.

"We Geolibertarians distinguish ourselves from right-wing, "royal" libertarians by our profound respect for the principle that one has private property in the fruits of one's labor. This includes the fruits of mental labor and the results of reinvestment of legitimate private property (capital) in future production. We remain consistent in that respect by recognizing, as did the classic liberals, that land and raw natural resources are not the fruits of labor, but a common heritage to be accessed on terms that are equal under the law for everyone. The statist system of land tenure empowers non-producing landlords to extract the fruits of tenants' labor."
Dan's geolibertarian home page

Old 04-15-2011, 11:40 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Exactly! How the hell do you fund police, fire, and other government services without real estate taxes?

It's almost like some people want to go back go feudal times, where the average person had NOTHING and ALL the poltical and economic power is controlled by the wealthy.
Or you could fund them with different taxes instead of clouding the ownership of private property. You could actually have an outright police/fire/municipal government fee/tax not attached to private property could you not?

Old 04-15-2011, 11:53 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Or you could fund them with different taxes instead of clouding the ownership of private property. You could actually have an outright police/fire/municipal government fee/tax not attached to private property could you not?
Taxes on property that are not the fruits of ones labor is much more efficient than taxing the fruits of your labor.

Men did not make the earth.... It is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property.... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds. [RIGHT]--Tom Paine, "Agrarian Justice," paragraphs 11 to 15[/RIGHT]

Old 04-16-2011, 03:00 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
That's pretty simple to do. Impose a tax on each separate service. That tax can be added as an addition to local/County/State sales tax. Then property is truly owned and cannot be taken away. In addition, everyone knows exactly how much each service costs and can make the determination as to whether or not it is worth it, too high or there is room for higher fee.

I have always maintained that property, and especially property upon which one's home rests, should never be at the mercy of government as a fulfillment of the guarantees of our Constitution.

Everyone benefits from these services whether they own property or not. I say figure out another way to pay for it and eliminate property taxes.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Keep them. We don't have state tax in FL, so we collect from property tax.
Actually, FL gets a lot of revenue from tourism.

I lived in FL my whole life and property taxes there, at least where I lived, are relatively low. Here in WI, we have state income tax, sales tax that is only 1% less than FL, plus exorbitant property taxes. Trust me, FL is not getting a ton of revenue from property tax in the grand scheme of things.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Just pay your damn taxes and quit whining! Geez...everybody wants something and NOBODY wants to pay for it. Property taxes fund things....someone paid property taxes when you were benefitting from them but weren't paying them yourself.

And no, not everybody wants something.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:41 AM

425 posts, read 653,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
The government does record your deed. I am actually for land tax, not improved property tax.

"We Geolibertarians distinguish ourselves from right-wing, "royal" libertarians by our profound respect for the principle that one has private property in the fruits of one's labor. This includes the fruits of mental labor and the results of reinvestment of legitimate private property (capital) in future production. We remain consistent in that respect by recognizing, as did the classic liberals, that land and raw natural resources are not the fruits of labor, but a common heritage to be accessed on terms that are equal under the law for everyone. The statist system of land tenure empowers non-producing landlords to extract the fruits of tenants' labor."
Dan's geolibertarian home page
Good heavens, here I was completely unaware that I'm now a "Geolibertarian".

How about we go back to calling ourselves Classical Liberals, like we used to?

Old 04-16-2011, 05:14 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Exactly! How the hell do you fund police, fire, and other government services without real estate taxes?

It's almost like some people want to go back go feudal times, where the average person had NOTHING and ALL the poltical and economic power is controlled by the wealthy.
That's pretty much the GOP's plan for America, the 'Path to Prosperity' is quite narrow and will accomodate few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies