Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Eliminate all property taxes
Yes 48 53.33%
No 36 40.00%
Depends??? 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 09:43 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,198 times

Advertisements

Nice thread, people gripe about being taxed excessively by the federal government, but they don't gripe all that often about personal property taxes. I found personal property taxes to be FAR more oppressive than federal income tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 09:49 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,038 times
While ideally I'd like less property taxes, I also know realistically to eliminate them my income taxes would need to skyrocket to ensure the most basic of services.

Overall, I find property taxes far more costly in my part of the country than income taxes--that's state and federal, but by elminating the property taxes, the other two would soar. Probably do have a little more say on property taxes as they are determined a more local level, and can and do vote on school budgets which impacts school taxes. (Our school taxes are seperate from our property taxes here.)

So it's six in one, half dozen in the other. Doesn't really matter if it comes out of my right pocket or left pocket. End result is the same.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:26 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Perhaps you might like the nurses and doctors who take care of you educated. Perhaps you might like the bridges you drive over designed safely by engineers.

I could go on and on..............
Nursing school and Medical school is not paid for with tax dollars....(in most cases)

I guess you missed that big bridge falling....

"I could go on and on.............."

Old 04-16-2011, 10:40 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Isn't it funny how they whine about "personal responsibility" but they don't want to pay taxes that fund necessary government services that they constantly rely on every day?

Excuse me now while I go shoot myself in the foot.
Water.....pay that ever month not in taxes

Trash pick up.....pay that ever month not in taxes

Police.....city taxes.....pay but don't use everyday if at all

Fireman....city taxes.....pay but don't use everyday if at all

Streets....pay a gas tax for that when I buy gas

Old 04-16-2011, 10:51 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Do you really own your private property, or do you pay rent or get kicked out?
Yes, you do own your property if you have title or deed.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:49 PM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
While ideally I'd like less property taxes, I also know realistically to eliminate them my income taxes would need to skyrocket to ensure the most basic of services.

Overall, I find property taxes far more costly in my part of the country than income taxes--that's state and federal, but by elminating the property taxes, the other two would soar. Probably do have a little more say on property taxes as they are determined a more local level, and can and do vote on school budgets which impacts school taxes. (Our school taxes are seperate from our property taxes here.)

So it's six in one, half dozen in the other. Doesn't really matter if it comes out of my right pocket or left pocket. End result is the same.
It will make a difference to you when you are a retiree ... the gangster banksters create another artificial real estate bubble, driving your property value up ... along with your property taxes, which, if like hundreds of thousands of retirees today can no longer afford those taxes, you lose your home.

Furthermore, you are already taxed to death ... and you don't get reasonable value for those tax dollars ..... most of which are going straight into the gangsters pockets, while government borrows more money to fight foreign wars to enrich corporations.

Your local government is likely the same as so many others .... overgrown ... bloated ... inefficient and wasteful. The Police are not there to protect you ... but they sure are there ready to jack you up for a little more revenue anytime they get the chance.

Your local politicians don't listen to you ... and do as they please.

Time for some backbone.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:56 PM

113 posts, read 129,516 times
Default Going into black hole

Learn the facts

How much is enough

Old 04-22-2011, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,017 times
Property tax needs to go it destroys small businesses and freedom to keep what you already earned!!! It creates instability especially in hard times! Frankly I think it is the most selfish un-American greedy Tax ever created! Whatever happened to owning your Castle you know property rights! How about in place of it we just go by donations people supporting what is important to them by forking over their time and efforts instead of stealing by pitting the Government against it's citizens & stealing lives and property. If you don't support replacing it you are an obstruction in the gears of humanity and if you think you or your present and future family members will somehow be immune to forced property foreclosures by this current system you are very wrong and will hopefully live to see 1st hand the pain and suffering this injustice causes.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:39 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,174,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
+70% of Wisconsins' Property Taxes )one of the highest in the US) goes into the education system....yet, I put myself through college and don't have children. What's wrong with this picture
Only 70%? That's cheap compare to NJ. NJ is 70% plus our income tax to school.

Yes, we still produce a lot of uneducated kids. I am not saying NJ school is bad. It is good compare to NY. But with so much money throw at it, it need to do better.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:10 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Yes, you do own your property if you have title or deed.
try not paying taxes for a couple of years and see if you own it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies