Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 03:40 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times

Advertisements

So lets see they now get an hour meal break and two mini breaks. So now they should get a 2.5 hour paid nap? So with nearly four hours of breaks, when would they actually do work??

Last edited by Pruzhany; 12-03-2012 at 04:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 03:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
So lets see they now get an hour meal break and two mini breaks. So now they should get a 2.5 hour paid nap? So with nearly four of breaks, when would they actually do work??
Tack it on to an 8 hour work shift.

Work 4, sleep 2.5, work 3, lunch 1, work 1

Old 12-03-2012, 03:50 PM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
A solution in need of a problem. There aren't a whole lot of planes hitting each other.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:56 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
There are some towers that are manned by private contractors, it will be interesting to see if they will also be required to maintain extra staff to cover the naps.

Still wondering how this will work, what if the controller isn't tired when his time comes up, I can see him reading a book or going on the computer to kill time. I really can't beleive they aree really going to follow through on this.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The link is broken so no story to read.

I guess I need more facts before flying off the handle. Unlike a few of the usual suspects in this thread who have already gone crazy over this.
I think this is old news, link below from April 2011.

Scientists: Air Controllers Need Naps On the Job | KTVA CBS 11 | Anchorage, Alaska News and Weather | Outbound XML Feeds

Old 12-05-2012, 01:56 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I guess you don't fly on international flights. I fly in business class and watch the entire crew get changed every few hours in-flight. I haven't been on an international flight that doesn't do this. On long domestic flights I've watched the pilot come out, get into the elevator and disappear for awhile. Then he would come back and the co-pilot would disappear next. So they are taking breaks during flights.
The changing of crews - or even cockpit crewmembers taking bathroom breaks is a security risk. Cockpit doors may be locked, but a terrorist could storm the cockpit during a break or shift change.

What is needed are secondary barriers - which would allow crewmembers exiting and entering the cockpit to be in a "cage" allowing them the opportunity to close and lock the cockpit door before they enter the main cabin.

These have been proposed but have not been mandated by the FAA, due to politics.

Who runs the FAA? Oh yes it is a Democrat.

Democrats - sacrificing safety for dollars.

Their "dear comrade leader" once palled around with terrorists.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:06 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
I want my plane to take off and land safely. I don't give a damn how long of a nap they need...GIVE IT TO THEM.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:13 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yup..sanctioned "napping" on the job.
The union thinks 2 hours of sleep and 30 minutes to wake up will fix the problem of sleeping controllers.

I dunno. I would have thought to tell them..get yourself a decent sleep BEFORE you come to work.

Think of all those other people on graveyard shifts that won't get a union backed "nap".

Scientists: Controllers need naps on the job - Yahoo! News
In fact, the FAA and the controllers union — with assistance from NASA and the Mitre Corp., among others — has come up with 12 recommendations for tackling sleep-inducing fatigue among controllers. Among those recommendations is that the FAA change its policies to give controllers on midnight shifts as much as two hours to sleep plus a half-hour to wake up.
They should be able to nap. But not be paid for it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-05-2012, 04:49 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
They should be able to nap. But not be paid for it.

20yrsinBranson
If it makes sense they should take a nap and be paid for it. This isn't a manufacturing job, it's a professional job. Doctors nap on the night shift at ER's and everyone knows it. Why doesn't your head explode over that?

Old 12-05-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
If it makes sense they should take a nap and be paid for it. This isn't a manufacturing job, it's a professional job. Doctors nap on the night shift at ER's and everyone knows it. Why doesn't your head explode over that?
Air traffic control has been around for decades, suddenly we have to change the rules because some are unable to stay awake. Seems like they are in the wrong job, not to metioned unsupervised.
Doctors don't take naps when they are operating on someone and they are not guided by union rules and compensation, maybe we should institute rules for cab drivers on the night shift.

You want to be a professional, act like one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies