Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 07:55 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,508 times

Advertisements

LewRockwell.com

Read it people, and have the scales removed from your eyes.
THAT'S Libertarian, for those of you who can only spell CATO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 07:55 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
What makes absolutely no sense to me is that you have decided to make a change in your politics based on the false premise that conservatives are white bigots. And to prove solidarity with liberal democrats you're now going to support Barack Obama for president in 2012 to show you're "different". You even say that you'd vote for him "not because you approve of him being president all of a sudden" but to just shove it in the face of those white bigots in the south.

You're still very young, you're trying to sort it all out, but you're going about it all wrong. Changing your political views because of what "other" people do, say or believe isn't showing that you have any integrity or conviction in what you believe.

Typical.

You're only 26 years old. Go get 'em tiger.
How condescending of you. I can't see anything in his post that shows he's "going about it all wrong". Yes, hopefully we change and grow throughout life. But older is not always wiser- especially when when those neural pathways are so rutted with whatever the lifelong opinions have been that there is stagnation and intolerance of any viewpoint outside of the rut.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:58 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am a 26 year old male who was brought up in a very conservative Republican, Catholic, 100% Italian family, in rural Connecticut. I have always voted Republican in every election (national, state and local) passionately. Now, as I get older, wiser and learn more about our world, I can't help but feel that the conservative Republican way is not the best for America and humanity in general.

Party lines aside, at this time, I would classify myself as "fiscally conservative and socially liberal." I do not like big debt and out of control spending. We should not be spending money we don't have unless it can be paid off in a reasonable amount of time. And we should always strive to have a fair tax system.

On the other hand, I have recently left religion and discovered that I am atheist and believe that all religion is manmade and should have no place in public policy. It's perfectly fine for the American people to practice any religion they choose, but the part that really angers me is when we see people defending things such as keeping the Ten Commandments in public buildings and the like. Or when people say this country was founded on Christian principles, which is utterly false. There are circumstances in which abortion is a perfectly fine procedure and we should pursue stem cell research further. And lastly...the biggest no brainer, is that gay couples should have the right to marry. Most homosexuals grew up in traditional Christian families and contribute to society no more or less than heterosexuals. The government seriously needs to stop being involved in peoples' love lives.

With that said, I am seriously considering voting for Barack Obama in 2012. Trust me...I absolutely despised him back in 2008. I had a McCain bumper sticker on my car and enjoyed going home and trash-talking about him with my parents every night during the pre-election months. This doesn't mean that I approve of him as a president all of a sudden, but I am truly disgusted by social conservatives that live in most of the red states across America. Basically, in order to be accepted by them, you have to be Christian, white and heterosexual. This has got to end. And, what disgusted me to great lengths was when Bush setup a "faith-based initiative" fund that gave public funds to Evangelical organizations. This led to the removal of the teachings of evolution from science books, which were replaced with creationism (the idea that God spontaneously created the world).

If I vote Republican again, it will revert America back toward a path of social intolerance, hate against gays and atheists, and other minority groups. Take a good look at all of our potential 2012 GOP candidates. All of them are anti-gay, Christian right-wingers. We need greater separation of church and state and greater social tolerance. I'm sorry to report, but we have a long way to go.

Besides, most Republican tax breaks and spending cuts are hardly life changing anyway. I'd rather pay more tax and see women have the right to choose and see same-sex couples get married.

The unspoken truth of much of the Republican party is that they have a hidden agenda to assimilate the laws of the Bible into modern day policy. They just don't want to admit it or talk about it. They defend things just for the sake of defending it, even if it's truly wrong. But that's just what's happening and I can't see my country which I love so much go backward like that.
I get your point about the public places but I just dont think its that big of a deal - and yes i understand the seperation of religion and state

I figure if I dont like it I wont look at it or just ignore it but it really does not bother me in the least same as people of the same sex marrying same sex people thats fine- i am straight but if that makes them happy so be it.

isnt america also about being able to be free and kind of doing your own agenda.? you make some good points and its a good piece.

repubs and dems have to go to get this country back the way its supposed to be someone from some party needs to find and expand the middle ground i think that may be what alot of us are looking for.

I respect you for your beliefs with religion but I have to have to say i am a believer and i will leave it with that.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB4 View Post
Obama is anything but fiscally conservative. I'm socially liberal as well, but it's a price I will gladly pay to get Obama OUT.
Me too voted for the liar not next time... only way i will vote for him is if palin somehow manages her fakeness into the mainstrem if she gets in were freaking doomed......then i am heading to the hills or canada

Old 04-15-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I wish more of you could sit back from my position. It is like watching two competing high school football pep rallies. They both think they are number one, yet both teams are 2 and 10.

Cheer on!
so simple but oh so true

Old 04-15-2011, 08:03 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
LewRockwell.com

Read it people, and have the scales removed from your eyes.
THAT'S Libertarian, for those of you who can only spell CATO
They're as crazy as Lyndon Larouche is on fiscal policy. No wonder they can't garner 1% of the popular vote for President?

It's a radical fantasy that has no basis in reality. No country has ever adopted Libertarian economic theory and succeeded.

What is is good for is fooling low IQ, primarily white, male, loners into giving up their already skimpy social safety net so that the ultra rich can enjoy their luxurious lifestyles.

Everyday, for the last 100 years, Western Europe with it's high taxes, high rates of unionization, government's double the size of the USA size for size, prove how absurd Libertarians are.

They have a higher standard of living than the USA and done it all doing the exact opposite of what Libertarians suggest on fiscal policy.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:08 PM

232 posts, read 221,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
They're as crazy as Lyndon Larouche is on fiscal policy. No wonder they can't garner 1% of the popular vote for President?

It's a radical fantasy that has no basis in reality. No country has ever adopted Libertarian economic theory and succeeded.

What is is good for is fooling low IQ, primarily white, male, loners into giving up their already skimpy social safety net so that the ultra rich can enjoy their luxurious lifestyles.

Everyday, for the last 100 years, Western Europe with it's high taxes, high rates of unionization, government's double the size of the USA size for size, prove how absurd Libertarians are.

They have a higher standard of living than the USA and done it all doing the exact opposite of what Libertarians suggest on fiscal policy.
I don't think anyone truly believe America could handle libertariansim. It's a fantastic place to start repairing the damage (re: us constitution)

Old 04-15-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

Nice try, but go read some Ludwig Von Mises and try again Liberty is the only answer. If you don't want it, fine. Need a plane ticket?

Wait padcrasher. Tom Jefferson is right. Forgive me for assuming that 309 million people could instantly accept the idea of a free society. It took close to 100 years for this experiment in self government to be smashed, and we've come 150 more since then, so it will take a while to wean the worshippers of the state off of the federal teat.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:11 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJefferson View Post
Please stop. I'm not a liberal. I have libertarian ideals. I'm not going to sit back and root for nobody while the libs try and scream in my face and tell me that the Tea Party wants to KILL OLD PEOPLE AND CHILDREN.
I didn't say you were a liberal, I said if you truly want to see a libertarian society you need to stop the left right battle, it takes the focus off what is going on. The TP has been co-opted by the right, any support of them helps the left and the right.

Sorry.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
So thinking you can get 51% of the people to vote for 51% of the politicians who want exactly the same amount of laws and freedoms you want, is realistic?

Under your plan everyone gets the government they want, plus the government they don't want. I'll pass.
CLASSIC!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies