Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 11:05 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
lol
Go ahead and laugh all you want: record deficits, mired in two unwinnable wars, high unemployment, 40K manufacturing plants outsourced, countless jobs outsourced, poverty levels increasing, the shrinking of the middle class, etc. etc. Oh, let's not forget the foreclosures, decline in house values, the 99ers need not apply...need I go on? Ok, I'll go on. The Wall Street and bank bailouts - you know, the ones to big to fail. The fact that four banks have now had to re-examine their foreclosure practices for not being up to snuff - but what about the displaced homeowners? What happened to them? The interest we have to pay just to finance our debt and what this could do to the value of the dollar. Ok, that's all that comes to mind for now. Ok, except for inflation - gas rising, food rising - just the basic staples of life.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 04-15-2011 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: add thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 11:13 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Go ahead and laugh all you want: record deficits, mired in two unwinnable wars, high unemployment, 40K manufacturing plants outsourced, countless jobs outsourced, poverty levels increasing, the shrinking of the middle class, etc. etc. Oh, let's not forget the foreclosures, decline in house values, the 99ers need not apply...need I go on?
It's realistic though, right? Those of higher social hierarchy come first. It's natural.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
And in this dream world, do you also see the US military following your mandates? Does it also carry over to highly physical work fields? Or are certain fields to be exempt?

There is nothing wrong with being an idealist, but I think that it's important to keep one foot grounded in reality.
My feet are TOO grounded in reality. See my post above, #41.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's realistic though, right? Those of higher social hierarchy come first. It's natural.
As in Darwinism? Let me guess. You're a conservative aka republican.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:20 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
As in Darwinism? Let me guess. You're a conservative aka republican.
I've voted democratic everytime (not that I've had a lot of opportunities, I'm in my 20s).... I don't get why you think otherwise. I'm a self-proclaimed liberal capitalist. Figure that one out.

I'm dissapointed by Obama's performance... but the republican options are just rediculous.. so yea... anyways... enough about my views.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:20 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,434 times
Quote:
My feet are TOO grounded in reality. See my post above, #41.
OK, let's say they are. Since that is now the case, how precisely will the wars be resolved, poverty disappear, unemployment decline, et al by putting a government (?) mandate into place that forces ALL companies and employers to hire by age group? If a current employer has 5 employees that are 22, how many of them will he have to FIRE in order to fill your quota requirements? What are you going to do with the fired person? Won't they get hungry too? Won't they then become an unemployment statistic?

How does your "ideal" of age mandates solve all the issues you listed?

Old 04-15-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
OK, let's say they are. Since that is now the case, how precisely will the wars be resolved, poverty disappear, unemployment decline, et al by putting a government (?) mandate into place that forces ALL companies and employers to hire by age group? If a current employer has 5 employees that are 22, how many of them will he have to FIRE in order to fill your quota requirements? What are you going to do with the fired person? Won't they get hungry too? Won't they then become an unemployment statistic?

How does your "ideal" of age mandates solve all the issues you listed?
I'm not suggesting they fire anyone, however, through attrition (and we all know how valuable those young whipper snappers are as they text all day) move on to other jobs, give the people at the lower and higher ends of the age bracket the jobs - and especially the 99ers, whom I guarantee will work their butts off to do well and keep the job.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I've voted democratic everytime (not that I've had a lot of opportunities, I'm in my 20s).... I don't get why you think otherwise. I'm a self-proclaimed liberal capitalist. Figure that one out.

I'm dissapointed by Obama's performance... but the republican options are just rediculous.. so yea... anyways... enough about my views.
Ok, first time I've ever heard that. I campaigned for Reagan and I imagine before you were even born (well, maybe not). I was young and stupid plus he reminded me of my dad. It's ironic in that they both ended up with Alzheimer's.

You'll figure it out along the way. Just remember, you are the future!

BTW, I believed in Darwinism at your age. I suppose it's still true, but not all are created equal.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:36 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
I'm not suggesting they fire anyone, however, through attrition (and we all know how valuable those young whipper snappers are as they text all day) move on to other jobs, give the people at the lower and higher ends of the age bracket the jobs - and especially the 99ers, whom I guarantee will work their butts off to do well and keep the job.
Why don't you start your own business and get back...in about 20 years.

Another frigging grasshopper with no CLUE.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:38 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,434 times
Quote:
WHAT other jobs?! People WITH jobs are darn happy to have them. And these people in the middle bracket - aren't they the ones that are within the age group of supporting a young family? What happens to them, their families, their homes?

Unless you have a better skill set than the other person, you should have no leg-up based on gender, skin color, religious sect or age. Times are tough for everyone. The person willing to work the hardest to find the job, work the contacts, ace the interview, and match the required criteria gets the job. Age should bring respect - not a guaranteed job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies