Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 04:20 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB4 View Post
Are you implying that crack dealers only deal crack because they're completely unaware that there's a food stamp program...
No, it wasn't meant to implicative just illustrative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 04:31 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Food Stamps aren't going anywhere the GOP would never allow it.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:35 PM
SB4

46 posts, read 49,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
No, it wasn't meant to implicative just illustrative.
I think some type of safety net is fine. People who are struggling will go for it. I don't think it should be marketed to the general public like some cool new product that everyone needs.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I think some type of safety net is fine. People who are struggling will go for it. I don't think it should be marketed to the general public like some cool new product that everyone needs.
I guess I missed the Super Bowl ads for food stamps.

If you have anything serious to discuss, shall we get started otherwise I'm heading off to the liquor store.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:53 PM
SB4

46 posts, read 49,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I guess I missed the Super Bowl ads for food stamps.

If you have anything serious to discuss, shall we get started otherwise I'm heading off to the liquor store.
This organization is going on a mission to get more people on food stamps. I'm pointing out, I think it's wrong. Discuss it or not I don't care.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:09 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I am a single 60 year old woman who has worked hard all my life, if you'd read some of my posts you would know this, I have excellent computer skills, I took a phlebotomy course and passed a national exam, I volunteer at the Red Cross. What part of there are not enough jobs do you not understand If you will read the following article you will see that jobs are still scarce. In my state the unemployment rate has remained above 10% since '08 and in my area 11% or more.

Job Competition - TIME

While your ideas might work for you they certainly wouldn't for me, first no one buys scrap in my area, second, I'm not physically capable of doing that kind of labor anymore.

BTW:
Chicken keeping is a very very expensive venture and unless you do it commercially it's a hobby and usually a money looser. The same goes with gardening...it's costly, I have friends that do it as a hobby and they laugh because they pay more for their veggies than what I do at the store. And both of these ventures cost bucks to start up...chicken coops, feed etc. gardening in my area requires lots of very expensive ground prep, then there's the tools etc. Not very cost effective for a single person without any income at this time.

Why are you so angry and hateful towards those like myself who have fallen on hard times due to the economy

Angry?

Hateful?

Save the guilt trip.

I simply tried to help you with some hard earned advice.

Here in Michigan we've had more unemployment than anywhere else in the country, and that for a longer period of time.

I can attest from personal experience, there are always things you can do to help yourself. There is always a way to earn a buck.

I'm paying over $2/lb for tomatoes and $1.25 for zucchini. Are you telling me with farmable land in GA you couldn't turn a buck at a farmer's market?

I had a roommate when I lived in Jacksonville who purchased massage pillows by the case and had them delivered to our apartment. She would drive up to Atlanta on her day off and sell them to office workers. You couldn't do something like that?

Old 04-16-2011, 06:08 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Angry?

Hateful?

Save the guilt trip.

I simply tried to help you with some hard earned advice.

Here in Michigan we've had more unemployment than anywhere else in the country, and that for a longer period of time.

I can attest from personal experience, there are always things you can do to help yourself. There is always a way to earn a buck.

When you come up with a viable solution instead of lawnmower and craigslist junk let me know.

I'm paying over $2/lb for tomatoes and $1.25 for zucchini. Are you telling me with farmable land in GA you couldn't turn a buck at a farmer's market?

Did you not read my post about the cost of preping land in GA???

I had a roommate when I lived in Jacksonville who purchased massage pillows by the case and had them delivered to our apartment. She would drive up to Atlanta on her day off and sell them to office workers. You couldn't do something like that?
Soooo who's going to pay for my gas to Jacksonville and back???? Who's going to put new tires on my truck to do this???? You are aware of gas prices right. What you don't seem to understand is people around here AREN'T buying stuff. Oh and I don't live anywhere near Atlanta And when was this???? Prior to the crash???? hmmm

More lame ideas, that would cost me money I don't have, pullleeezz spare me any more of them.

Again, why is it you have a problem with the millions of people like myself who worked for decades and through no fault of our own have lost our jobs because of the crap economy and are on food stamps Your hate towards us is very apparent, where is your compassion for your fellow human being?

Did you even bother to read the link to the article about the lack of jobs It's a very simple math problem and it goes like this 5 people for every 1 job means 5-1=4 that's 4 people that no matter how hard they look can't get work. It's like you have been living under a rock and are unaware of what has been going on with our economy for the last 3 years.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
This organization is going on a mission to get more people on food stamps. I'm pointing out, I think it's wrong. Discuss it or not I don't care.
Actually you haven't point to anything. You haven't pointed to a single policy or initiative with the aim of increasing the number of people on food stamps. So it isn't a matter of whether or not to discuss, the problem is that there isn't anything to discus in the first place.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:04 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
I do respect those who talk of their misfortunenes please try and stay upbeat. However there are those that take great satisfaction in never ever intending to work, and do expect handouts. Some family members do work for some S.S. OFFICES, and believe me the things i heare, are sometimes unreal, but only disgusting and true. For those of you who truly need assistance, i have no problem with you, it is those of you, who use and abuse our system, and so many do. You would not believe what some do, when they are turned down, that is another story, another day.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:28 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
"Overall, the typical American defined as poor by the government has a car, air conditioning, a refrigerator, a stove, a clothes washer and dryer, and a microwave. He has two color televisions, cable or satellite TV reception, a VCR or DVD player, and a stereo. He is able to obtain medical care. His home is in good repair and is not overcrowded. By his own report, his family isn't hungry, and he had sufficient funds in the past year to meet his family's essential needs. While this individual's life is not opulent, it is equally far from the popular images of dire poverty conveyed by the press, activists and politicians."

FOXNews.com - The Specter of Poverty in America - Opinion

Poverty now comes with a color TV - MSN Money

WHERE BEST TO BE POOR?

"What has historically been defined as "poverty," nationally or internationally, no longer exists in the United States, says economist Walter Williams."

"Material poverty can be measured relatively or absolutely. An absolute measure would consist of some minimum quantity of goods and services deemed adequate for a baseline level of survival. Achieving that level means that poverty has been eliminated. However, if poverty is defined as, say, the lowest one-fifth of the income distribution, it is impossible to eliminate poverty. Everyone's income could double, triple and quadruple, but there will always be the lowest one-fifth, explains Williams."

Statistics on Poor People in the US

"The bulk of the "poor" live in material conditions that would have been judged as comfortable or well-off just a few generations ago. Today, the expenditures per person of the lowest income one-fifth (or quintile) of households equal those of the median American household in the early 1970s, after adjusting for inflation."

"As a group the poor are far from being chronically undernourished. The average consumption of protein, vitamins and minerals is virtually the same for poor and middle-class children, and in most cases is well above recommended norms. Poor children actually consume more meat than do higher-income children and have average protein intakes 100% above recommended levels. Most poor children today are in fact super-nourished, on average growing up to be one inch taller and ten pounds heavier than the GIs who stormed the beaches of Normandy in World War II."

http://www.policyarchive.org/handle/...eams/12856.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies