Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 01:13 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmith365 View Post
And, you are obviously white and got enraged at residinghere2007's comment that there are MORE white people on welfare than blacks. He said nothing about percentages. However, in your effort to defend your race or defend your position on the subject matter, you want to twist the numbers and make this a percentages game.

Your "Huh?" comment is sooooo inconsequential; I guess that is your attempt at trying to say what I said didn't make sense. But, it makes you look crazier. You went off on a tangent because there are MORE WHITE PEOPLE ON WELFARE THAN BLACKS and you cannot disprove this fact. Just as you have stated, there are more whites than blacks; thus, this number should not be of any surprise to anyone. However, you want to reiterate that there are a greater PERCENTAGE of blacks on welfare than whites, which may be true depending on the type of public assistance you are talking about (see residinghere2007's later post), but PERCENTAGES are TOTALLY different than the SUM. You ignore that fact, too, that I agreed with you in my post that I support your claim that there are a greater percentage of African Americans on welfare than would be for the white community. But, again, percentages do not account for the total number of welfare recipients. So, operating off of the premise that president Obama is catering to blacks because he heavily supports welfare recipients, then why would Barak Obama be inclined to support welfare knowing that, as a whole, the welfare system is utilized more by whites on the program than blacks, even though percentage-wise we are more inclined to be on welfare?

Again, you using percentages is another means in which people distort reality to fit their agenda. I think you need to re-visit your source. And, regardless of who is more likely on welfare or not, just because he has some initiatives that support welfare recipients (which I have not researched) does not make him race-biased. Almost every other Democratic president catered to welfare recipients, so why is it that because Obama is black and your "greater PERCENTAGE of welfare recipients" are black, that he's catering to the black race.

There was no mass debate that the Reagan and the Bushs' are catering to Big Business or the 1% of wealthy Americans because they are white.

There are other factors that you should present to show a blatant and consistent pattern of Obama strategically placing blacks in a better position than whites, i.e. andrea3821.

And, get off of percentages and slanting comments to fit your argument.
Yes, there are more whites on welfare. Whites make up something like 86% of the population. Blacks are like 12%. Obviously more whites are going to be represented in most circumstances. That is why you have to look at percentages, b/c they make up such drastically different proportions of the overall population. Why are you not understanding this?

No, your comment did not make sense, that is why I said "huh?" It doesn't make me look crazy, that is ridiculous. Again, you have not given any evidence against my argument, you have only proven your own ignorance in arguing against me and personally attacking me in the process.

The bolded is exactly my point, I don't understand how you are taking issue with it when you agree with it. I never once said there are not more whites on welfare programs than blacks (and I am talking about any assistance programs, not just TANF, as someone previously mentioned).

Again, you are spinning my argument against Obama here. I said he is not catering to them specifically but he is catering to liberals who have been brainwashed by his crap. I said he wants to continue social programs b/c this keeps his voting base intact. Blacks AND whites. But there are more blacks on welfare, PERCENTAGE-WISE, so yes, to a certain extent, it can be seen that he is catering to that population. If you can't follow my line of thought at this point (and the OP even alluded to it), I don't know what to tell you.

I'm not distorting anything and I have no agenda whatsoever, I'm not slanting or doing whatever you accuse me of. You are agreeing with me on the facts in this situation, why would I need to check my source? You're not making any sense...and again, I could have just responded to your post with a "huh?????"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 05:07 AM

1,081 posts, read 915,934 times
Obama just sux in general.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:11 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy333 View Post
I don't feel he caters to African Americans either. He took on an extremely tough job that I don't know who in their right mind would of wanted with the way the country was at the time he ran and took office. His campaign speeches were amazing. I remember him saying he would bring jobs back to the US instead of outsourcing to other countries. That was huge to me. However, I don't see it happening.

He has two years to get my vote, cause right now, I would never vote him back in for another 4 years of alot of great talk and alot of very little action.

DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE GAS PRICES BEFORE WHAT LITTLE RECOVERY WE HAVE GOES AWAY!!!!!!!!!!PLEASE, IM BEGGING!!!!!!!
What exactly is it that you would have him do?

How about, in his infinite wisdom drawn on all his real world experience, ordering a halt to all oil drilling in the United States? If he did this drilling rigs would (did) leave the United States for places like Brazil never to return.

Think wind power and unicorns.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:30 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times
I don't think Obama is catering to anyone other than Obama.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:42 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,103 times
Obama has catered to Black people?

Why haven't I been touched by this?

Old 04-28-2011, 01:49 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
Obama has catered to Black people?

Why haven't I been touched by this?

You've been used.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:13 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy333 View Post

He has two years to get my vote, cause right now, I would never vote him back in for another 4 years of alot of great talk and alot of very little action.

DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE GAS PRICES BEFORE WHAT LITTLE RECOVERY WE HAVE GOES AWAY!!!!!!!!!!PLEASE, IM BEGGING!!!!!!!

YouTube - A Little Less Conversation In Style of Elvis vs. JXL Karaoke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies