Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 06:41 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times

Advertisements

Many people go to the ER for non-emergent reasons. If you are in need of emergency care the hospital will treat first and get insurance information later. If you walk into the ER in stable condition they will get your insurance info and ask for the co-pay at that time. Many insurance companies will deny coverage for the ER visit if they determine the reason for the ER visit to be non-emergent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 06:49 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The fact is the insurance company is not responsible for the man's health.

He is.

The insurance company is reasonable for payment or, not.
Did you know that hospital and clinics will make a patient pay in advance for non-emergent procedures and tests that insurance has denied payment for? If you do not pay upfront, no procedure or test is done.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I have never heard of an emergency room requiring an up front co-pay. Not saying it doesn't happen. Do you have any first hand knowledge?
Most insurance policies require the patient to pay a higher % of the bill for emergency room services. Any tests ordered by an ER doctor is considered ER costs.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Did you know that hospital and clinics will make a patient pay in advance for non-emergent procedures and tests that insurance has denied payment? If you do not pay upfront, no procedure or test is done.
Rightfully so.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Do you know why BC&BS denied the procedure?
Yup. Because BC & BS wanted to save themselves $$$.

If a health insurance company does not cover tests and procedures to save someone from a certain heart attack, that insurance company is literally taking your premium without providing you insurance!

Old 04-16-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Yup. Because BC & BS wanted to save themselves $$$.

If a health insurance company does not cover tests and procedures to save someone from a certain heart attack, that insurance company is literally taking your premium without providing you insurance!
Many times procedures are denied because the insurer wants the doctor to order a less expensive diagnostic test first. The insurance company may require the doctor to order an x-ray before authorizing a more expensive MRI.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Many times procedures are denied because the insurer wants the doctor to order a less expensive diagnostic test first. The insurance company may require the doctor to order an x-ray before authorizing a more expensive MRI.
Shouldn't the necessary tests be determined by the doctor and the patient?

Imagine the outrage from the right if this would be the practice of the new healthcare bill!

Old 04-16-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Shouldn't the necessary tests be determined by the doctor and the patient?

Imagine the outrage from the right if this would be the practice of the new healthcare bill!
Are you kidding me? Utilization review has been in place for years and will continue to be in place with Obamacare.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Are you kidding me? Utilization review has been in place for years and will continue to be in place with Obamacare.
Insurance companies practice "utilization review" it is fine and dandy. "Obamacare" practices "utilization review" is is called "rationing of care."

What is your opinion of the practice of "utilization review?"

Old 04-16-2011, 07:09 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's not "my" hospital. I don't work there.
I tried to be nice. I even deleted a post I had written, hopefully before any one read it. The gloves are off.

You jump on others about personal attacks, then you throw the snide remark.

Gee, I thought you owned the hospital. hello! no s..t Sherlock. by "your hospital", anyone with a brain knows it means "the hospital you go to".

I'll bet you have said my bank, or my doctor, or my mechanic. It does not infer possession or ownership. it is a figure of speech. Do you know what that means?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies