Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 10:50 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
What such a tax structure would lend itself too is companies that do business in the US primarily basing all of their operations out of the US to limit tax liability. If a company wants to operate out of the Caribbean where there are no taxes let them try to work in that tiny market.

The way it works now the wealth of the US is being bleed away to tax havens around the world. It wouldn't matter if we had a 1% tax rate, because 1%>0%.

LOL, they can operate in any country in the world from a tiny Caribbean country and keep all their profits. You are under some delusion that companies are required to do business in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 10:53 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
LOL, they can operate in any country in the world from a tiny Caribbean country and keep all their profits. You are under some delusion that companies are required to do business in the US.
No they can operate in any country in the world and use creative accounting to avoid some of their tax liability by using tax havens or taking advantage of disperate rates. This would remove that option and create an incentive for placing those profits in the US since the would have to pay taxes on them anyway.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
So essentially corporations should then be allowed to hold us all as hostages.....if you make us pay our fair share......we are going to move operations overseas. Seems big business has been doing that anyway to drop their labor costs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/04/bu...ewanted=1&_r=1

Ending Corporate Welfare As We Know It

Huh? No, I simply suggest we need to compete with the rest of the world. If we make our markets univiting to business, we only hurt ourselves.

The tax code, sensibly, only requires companies to pay taxes on the portion of ther profits earned in the US. What isn't sensible is a 35% income tax on repatriated money. Why would any company bring money into the us and expose themselves to a tax rate far higher than anywhere else in the world. There is $1.2 trillion that could be invested in the US but won't be, because of the tax structure.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
No they can operate in any country in the world and use creative accounting to avoid some of their tax liability by using tax havens. This would remove that option and incentive placing those profits in the US since the would have to pay taxes on them anyway.

Of course they can, a Caribean based company can do business in China, India or Timbuktu. What are you talking about?

Old 04-16-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Of course they can. A Caribean based company can do business in China, India or Timbuktu. What are you talking about?
Well if all your income is taxed regardless of where it is made, what is the use of keeping it in the Dutch Antilles and saying you 'made it' in the Dutch Antilles.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:04 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Quote:
Why is that way too low?
Because we have debts to pay. And it means that there are corporations that have significantly less than that average, given the examples of much higher rates offsetting the average upward. There have to be some crazy low rates to balance the average, to equal 25%, if some of the most profitable are paying 40%.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Well if all your income is taxed regardless of where it is made, what is the use of keeping it in the Dutch Antilles and saying you 'made it' in the Dutch Antilles.

Are you suggesting that there would be nearly as much economic activity with the US under the tax policy you advocate. A Dutch Antilles company would do business with India, China and Timbuktu, but not the US. Why would they and why should they? Any company that earns 35% or less of their revenue from the US market would be insane to do business there.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Because we have debts to pay. And it means that there are corporations that have significantly less than that average, given the examples of much higher rates offsetting the average upward. There has to be some crazy balance on the low end of the spectrum too, to equal 25%.

Too funny. You know I have debts to pay too, I think I will demand my boss double my salary!

Old 04-16-2011, 11:10 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Quote:
Too funny. You know I have debts to pay too, I think I will demand my boss double my salary!
Ahahaha you got that right, corporations are politicians' bosses.

That aside, you don't tax your boss, and you and your boss and the rest of the country aren't sharing your debt. How ridiculous an analogy is that.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Are you suggesting that there would be nearly as much economic activity with the US under the tax policy you advocate. A Dutch Antilles company would do business with India, China and Timbuktu, but not the US. Why would theyand why should they? Any company that earns 35% or less of their revenue from the US market would be insane to do busness there.
For a very large amount of companies absolutely 100%. The US is a massive consumer. Just one example we use 25% of the world's oil. That is a 25% global market share! Companies may not like it, but where there is money to be made they will go...Furthermore we could do what we do with citizens and exempt foreign earned income to a point, but the fact that companies are hiding multiple trillions in tax shelters successfully makes our current system look like a joke. Once more the fact that people want to reward this bad behavior with even lower taxes is insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies