Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 07:14 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Bily,

It was Bush's budget. Please provide some actual thought or data instead of just trolling.

This thread wasn't meant to be an indictment of Bush. Just a counterpoint to the irrational emotion led blaming of Obama for everything when most of the problems he inherited.
nope

it was PELOSI's budget

budgets come from the house of reps

please read the constitution
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 07:15 AM

131 posts, read 172,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
still blaming bush for every thing... nice....

not very intelligent, but nice
No im not blaming Bush for everything, Obama is not the golden crown and has added to the debt, but at the same time it was giving to him. Bush had policies that were not informed and were divine design mission. It was just unprofessional esp from a fellow Texan Many people informed him of the mess he was getting into but he overrode it with that Good ole Texas cockiness that his plans was better

Old 04-18-2011, 07:17 AM

131 posts, read 172,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
nope

it was PELOSI's budget

budgets come from the house of reps

please read the constitution
The Power of Veto --> if he knew the economic crises was coming, why he didn't take into account the foreseeable future and made a decision that this budget wasn't right for America huuummm

Old 04-18-2011, 07:20 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Refresh my memory...did not senator Obama vote both for the '09 budget and for TARP? I seem to recall that he took time off from campaigning to vote on both. I could be wrong, he could have voted "present".

In addition, President Bush DID NOT want to pass TARP at all. He did not think it was wise to pass such expensive legislation just before leaving office. He wanted to table the bill and let the NEW PRESIDENT come in and make the decision since the funds would not be disbursed until after the election. Barack Hussein INSISTED that Bush pass it IMMEDIATELY. He said that the country could not wait until Jan 20 to start the bailouts.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:25 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I am looking forward to seeing where the drop in revenue came from. The IRS stats only have 2008.
Federal Tax revenue was $2.1 Trillion in 2009, a drop of about half trillion from the year before and only 14.9% of the GDP. The last time tax revenue dropped to below 15% of the GDP was in 1950.

Looking back and comparing it to the budget in 2000 (in constant 2000 dollars):

Federal Tax Revenue Collected in 2000: $2.03 Trillion
Spending in 2000: $1.79 Trillion

Federal Tax Revenue Collected in 2009: $1.76 Trillion
Spending in 2009: $2.85 Trillion

2009 budget did not include war expense so, technically, it was a $3 Trillion plus budget even in 2000 dollars while the tax revenue was low enough that it would have created a deficit even with 2000 spending as a benchmark.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:27 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
What's worse? Spending too much when you didn't know you'd lose your income? Or knowing you have no income and still spending the huge amount?

I blame Bush for spending too much...but even after we knew we were in trouble, Skippy went nuts on spending. That's just idiotic.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
In addition, President Bush DID NOT want to pass TARP at all. He did not think it was wise to pass such expensive legislation just before leaving office. He wanted to table the bill and let the NEW PRESIDENT come in and make the decision since the funds would not be disbursed until after the election. Barack Hussein INSISTED that Bush pass it IMMEDIATELY. He said that the country could not wait until Jan 20 to start the bailouts.
As must be done with virtually every post of yours, let me call yet another BS from you on that one.

"Yeah, they do hate it. I can understand that. Look, the idea of spending taxpayer's money to give to wall street and the banks, to save them, a lot of people think they created the crisis in the first place. So I can understand the angst. But in my case, I wasn't worried about angst, personal angst, or contradiction, I was worried about the economy going down. And I believe TARP saved the economy."
- President George W Bush on TARP

Old 04-18-2011, 07:29 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Barack Hussein INSISTED that Bush pass it IMMEDIATELY. He said that the country could not wait until Jan 20 to start the bailouts.
Just throwing it against the wall to see what sticks? Since when did GWB listen to anyone?

Old 04-18-2011, 07:30 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,580,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Boy View Post
Nothing irrational about it. Obama is NOT a victim. It WAS Bush's budget. As a senator he was well aware of the fiscal problems of this country. He asked for the job ( Hope and change, and all that ). Instead of having his feet held to the fire, he has you and many more making excuses for him. Eighth grade math says you can't spend yourself out of a debt problem. Did he skip eighth grade?

TB
Economics is not 8th grade math. It is highly advanced calculus and statistics.

And you can spend your way out of a debt problem if the economy grows fast enough. If GDP growth is greater than debt growth, your debt to GDP percentage will keep falling. This is exactly what happened in the period immediately after WW2.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Economics is not 8th grade math. It is highly advanced calculus and statistics.

And you can spend your way out of a debt problem if the economy grows fast enough. If GDP growth is greater than debt growth, your debt to GDP percentage will keep falling. This is exactly what happened in the period immediately after WW2.
On the other hand, if you let the economy collapse and do nothing about it hoping for the almighty hand to bail you out, well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies