Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Liberal America, Conservative America or Libertarian America: Pick One
I Would Move to a 100% Liberal America 49 26.34%
I Would Move to a 100% Conservative America 37 19.89%
I Would Move to a 100% Libertarian America 87 46.77%
I Would Move to Hills and Be a Lone Survivalist!! 13 6.99%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 05:42 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,158,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
That does not jive with the official Libertarian Party platform. They advocate for the complete absence of all government. No authoritarian power, where the individual is sovereign. That is the very definition of anarchy.

strange I did not read that in the LP platform.

Platform | Libertarian Party

Old 04-19-2011, 05:49 PM

185 posts, read 159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post

Its because he doesn't have a clue.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:57 PM

23,619 posts, read 23,932,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trs810 View Post
I think healthcare and education should be rights.
Followed by...
Quote:
Cradle to grave welfare would not exist.

How is seeing a doctor more of a "right" than food? Try going as long between meals as you do between doctor visits and let us know how that works out for you.

Quote:
All businesses would be required to give employees paid vacation, anyone working over 15 hours on average a week would be entitled to 15 paid days off (3 hours pay). Anyone working an average of 25 hours or more would be entitled to 25 paid days off (5 hours pay). And anyone working 35 hours a week would be entitled to at least 35 paid days off (at 7 hours pay). A work day would consist of 7 hours and the work week would be considered 35 hours, anything over that is up to the employer to decided whether they want to pay overtime. I think productivity would increase if people can enjoy time to themselves and have the opportunity to actually go on a vacation. The minimum wage would be a livable wage and subject to increases depending on inflation.
Spoken like someone who has never owned/run/managed a business.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:40 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,381,855 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
That does not jive with the official Libertarian Party platform. They advocate for the complete absence of all government. No authoritarian power, where the individual is sovereign. That is the very definition of anarchy.

Then you were not paying attention. Because they state it right at the beginning:

Quote:
As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others.

The world we seek to build is one where individuals are free to follow their own dreams in their own ways, without interference from government or any authoritarian power.

Source: http://www.lp.org/platform
If that does not spell out the true definition of anarchy, then every English dictionary on the planet is wrong.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:25 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,946,456 times
Quote:
I as a Libertarian believe in limited goverment, not the nanny state in what our current form of goverment is. the goverment is nothing but a tool of force, which is supposed to be the servant of the people, which they are not. goverment in the USA for the last 100 years has been nothing but a master of the people and consider the people they are supposed to be serving slaves.

Tried to rep you, but it wouldn't let me. Good post! And not all Libertarians are for anarchy as one poster mentioned. I myself am OK with with certain checks and balances. One thing Libertarians believe in, is when it comes to violent crimes is more rights for the victims, and that use of force is to be for defense ONLY! Libertarians also believe that prohibition only fuels the black market! Tell me again how prohibition of alcohol worked again? Oh yeah, that's right prohibition brought you people like Al Capone!

Old 04-20-2011, 11:26 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,015,028 times
Liberal Nation, I also don't mind being Taxed FOR QUALITY SERVICES.

I'm Anti-Gay Marriage, so that maybe a bit of a problem...lol

Old 04-20-2011, 12:28 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,377,846 times
The Libertarian nation would be free traders, first in self defense of its borders, and socially liberal and fiscally conservative. Government would meet for one or two months a year depending upon the business and we would thrive as a more free nation than those who love a more equal nation. I eschew equality for liberty because where everyone is equal in every aspect of their nation, you better get out the pictures of Karl Marx. I just say no thanks to the Conservatives as I may agree with a fiscal conserative nation, I reject the socially conservative nation where everyone wants everyone else to be be socially the same under one boot heel. No thanks.....

Old 04-20-2011, 12:42 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,946,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
The Libertarian nation would be free traders, first in self defense of its borders, and socially liberal and fiscally conservative. Government would meet for one or two months a year depending upon the business and we would thrive as a more free nation than those who love a more equal nation. I eschew equality for liberty because where everyone is equal in every aspect of their nation, you better get out the pictures of Karl Marx. I just say no thanks to the Conservatives as I may agree with a fiscal conserative nation, I reject the socially conservative nation where everyone wants everyone else to be be socially the same under one boot heel. No thanks.....

No monopolies. No "too big to fail." No wars based on corporate interests. No war on drugs. Friendly with all nations, allies with none (well maybe except for Canada).

Old 04-20-2011, 01:13 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,182,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Liberal Nation, I also don't mind being Taxed FOR QUALITY SERVICES.

I'm Anti-Gay Marriage, so that maybe a bit of a problem...lol
Don't marry a gay person. Problem solved.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:31 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,021,108 times
My guess: the conservative nation would imprison half its citizens on moral issues like drugs and sexuality, and the liberal nation would go broke from trying to support poor and infirmed immigrants who were ignored by the other two nations.

Personally I would want a hybrid liberal-libertarian nation to live in. Get rid of the neo-cons who want to legislate morality so we can discuss fiscal policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies