Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the U.S. rRaise Income Taxes on the Wealthy?
Yes on income over 150K 11 12.09%
Yes on Income over 250K 38 41.76%
No 39 42.86%
Maybe 3 3.30%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 09:14 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,435,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Fair enough.

I would like the Obama Tax Cuts rolled back to the Clinton Tax Increases. Bush has nothing to do with this.
Yes I do realize that this is from 2009.
47% will pay no federal income tax
An increasing number of households end up owing nothing in major federal taxes, but the situation may not be sustainable over the long run.
47% of households owe no tax - and their ranks are growing - Sep. 30, 2009

I think Media matters needs to check out CNN's article!

Bolling Advances Falsehood That Nearly Half Of Americans Don't Pay Taxes

http://mediamatters.org/research/201103100020

Last edited by Miborn; 04-18-2011 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 09:15 AM

657 posts, read 697,010 times
bourgeois capitalists ought to pay up to 90% in taxes.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:17 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,792,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Why do you want to penalize the job creaters? 250K is not wealthy. 250k is your average successful small business owner. Doh! Guess George "I'm going to buy lots of gold" Soros forgot to tell you that.

Let's be realisitic. The people who earn around 250K are the ones hiring the cleaners, putting the landscaping and construction companies to work, buying new cars, spending money in local restaurants, and hiring local people to work for them, who in turn, spend their money on local businesses and round and round we go. Why do you want to penalize the economic engine of this country? If you want to tax the rich, tax at over $1M of income. but here's the funny thing. Most rich people do not have high salaries. Their wealth is tied to physical assets not income.
The business profit is separate from personal income and is taxed separately as well.

BTW, CEOs are raping the profit of companies by paying themselves unbelievable wages (out of stock holders investments).

Check this out!

http://www.paywizard.org/main/VIPPaycheck/bailoutceopay

Quote:
In 1970, CEO salary and bonus packages were typically about $700,000 - 25 times the average production worker salary; by 2000, CEO salaries had jumped to almost $2.2 million on average, 90 times the average salary of a worker
http://blogs.payscale.com/content/20...laries--1.html

Old 04-18-2011, 09:19 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,207,519 times
Should the condition be serious enough to raise taxes on any sector of income then let's get equally serious and raise taxes on ALL income in excess of the base line of poverty. After all, any person with an income is a benefactor of those small business earners who have invested their own funds and reliability in a business.

Dog... meet butt.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:24 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,792,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I voted no today and would vote no until my death. The progressive income tax is right out of Marx's manifesto. Like I always said the two parties are so much alike and when it comes to this Marxist idea there is bi partisan support.
Watching the Glenn Beck show again?

Old 04-18-2011, 09:26 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,798,123 times
Quote:
Why do you want to penalize the job creaters? 250K is not wealthy. 250k is your average successful small business owner. Doh!
Awww... cute. But, thank you.

I also learnt yesterday that millionaires who managed to push Borders off the cliff also created "looking for job" opportunities for about six thousand Americans while making themselves richer. A fine way to create jobs, I must say. You can't create jobs without having jobless people to begin with.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:47 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,435,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Awww... cute. But, thank you.

I also learnt yesterday that millionaires who managed to push Borders off the cliff also created "looking for job" opportunities for about six thousand Americans while making themselves richer. A fine way to create jobs, I must say. You can't create jobs without having jobless people to begin with.
Millionaires are not the same as 250,000 earners..........
Not even in the same league!

Old 04-18-2011, 10:32 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,611,163 times
Quote:
Why do you want to penalize the job creaters? 250K is not wealthy. 250k is your average successful small business owner. Doh! Guess George "I'm going to buy lots of gold" Soros forgot to tell you that.

Let's be realisitic. The people who earn around 250K are the ones hiring the cleaners, putting the landscaping and construction companies to work, buying new cars, spending money in local restaurants, and hiring local people to work for them, who in turn, spend their money on local businesses and round and round we go. Why do you want to penalize the economic engine of this country? If you want to tax the rich, tax at over $1M of income. but here's the funny thing. Most rich people do not have high salaries. Their wealth is tied to physical assets not income.
In Oklahoma 250K is being very country club rich. Such people can without a doubt afford to pay a little more in taxes. Raising taxes on them by 5 to 10 thousand wouldn't be noticed much. If their businesses are successful and doing well, they will have no choice but to add more workers to meet customer demand.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 04-18-2011 at 10:49 AM..

Old 04-18-2011, 11:36 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,721,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I favor raising everyone's tax rates to whatever the highest tax bracket has to pay. Just to be fair. After all, don't people have their "standard deductions" already? That should prevent people from starving. If you can't maintain your current lifestyle then maybe it is time to downgrade. Because if you raise taxes on the wealthy, they would have to downgrade too - why should they have to be the only ones to do that? Everyone should need to do their part. Otherwise they are just being leeches. Fair is fair. I know plenty of people who earn less money than me who have more luxury items and lifestyles. And if you are telling me I need to pay more % taxes than they do, you are out of your mind.

We don't need to raise taxes for anybody. Our government has plenty of revenue. We just need to cut spending.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:38 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,295,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer2 View Post
Should the U.S. raise Income Taxes on the wealthy?
Yes I would have no problem paying the higher rate it would help increase federal revenue and deal with the budget situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies