Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:21 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,714,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
if you coupled this flat tax with a flat tax on FICA taxes you would balance the overall tax situation. Taxing ALL income would capture some income that isn't even counted in you AGI numbers. So the wealthy would more toward taxes.
Not necessarily. Even if they don't manage to hide their incomes, the data I presented is actual income taxes those groups paid in 2008. Perhaps I'm missing something, so why do you think the top 1% would still pay 23% (that they did in 2008) if the flat tax is 15%?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 09:25 AM

4,298 posts, read 4,389,395 times
If people haven't been paying taxes, then - yes - they will have an increase. THAT is their fair share. We need to eliminate class warfare and those who don't pay their taxes (no matter if rich, middle-class, or poor). We keep hearing how the top 1% of the population blah blah blah - but (between individuals and corporations) over 40% don't pay taxes at all - and that can't all be rich people (this also tells me that the middle-class pay more no matter if the Dem or Rep plans). Simple is better - either a form of the Fair Tax or a form of the Flat tax with no exemptions.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:33 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,181,615 times
because you would TAX ALL INCOME at the same rate. Take John Paulson for example, he made $15 billion 2008-2010 and DID NOT pay any income taxes. the gaming of the system would end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Not necessarily. Even if they don't manage to hide their incomes, the data I presented is actual income taxes those groups paid in 2008. Perhaps I'm missing something, so why do you think the top 1% would still pay 23% (that they did in 2008) if the flat tax is 15%?

Old 04-19-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
because you would TAX ALL INCOME at the same rate. Take John Paulson for example, he made $15 billion 2008-2010 and DID NOT pay any income taxes. the gaming of the system would end.
Theoretically, it does make sense (although, I can see people barely getting by in bigger trouble). But it is also virtually impossible to shut down loopholes that (especially) the rich have an easier access to.

Having said that, I'm curious about how flat tax will work in Russia, in the longer term. Is it making for a better society? Only time can tell.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:58 AM

by ALL income, I do mean corporate income, too. With GE, Exxon and the like paying nothing, we'd see a huge tax windfall. by taxing ALL income no matter what name you apply to it, you shut down the gaming the system, there is no motivation to invent new ways around income taxes, because it wouldn't matter how income was made.

I'd exempt income below 3x the poverty level from taxation for everyone. that way nobody would have to worry about a tax on the money they'd need for food, clothing or shelter. the working poor might not pay taxes, but they wouldn't get the credits and free money they get now either.

Quote:
Theoretically, it does make sense (although, I can see people barely getting by in bigger trouble). But it is also virtually impossible to shut down loopholes that (especially) the rich have an easier access to.

Having said that, I'm curious about how flat tax will work in Russia, in the longer term. Is it making for a better society? Only time can tell.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
by ALL income, I do mean corporate income, too. With GE, Exxon and the like paying nothing, we'd see a huge tax windfall.

I'd exempt income below 3x the poverty level from taxation for everyone. that way nobody would have to worry about a tax on the money they'd need for food, clothing or shelter. the working poor would pay taxes, but they wouldn't get the credits and free money they get now either.
That would make sense, now for implementation... not happening.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:05 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,363,612 times
taxing 'income' is stupid

tax consumption..tax SPENDING
a) you less likely to be able to cheat it
b) less likely to be 'oh that is not income'

look at the facts.... people like the hiltons or the buffets spend WAY MORE than what they 'report' as being income

warren buffets income 100k...his spending in the millions

nuff said

Old 04-19-2011, 10:07 AM

LOL, you would even be able to get a majority to agree on what the rate would be, 10%, 12%, 15% or 20%.... that fight would doom the whole process.
Quote:
That would make sense, now for implementation... not happening.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:13 AM

17,384 posts, read 11,894,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The fair tax has a huge loophole, it's called buying a home.

The catch is that you need a lot of money or income to begin with to pull it off.
What a crock of bull. Anyone can buy a home. It might take sacrifice, but it's not impossible. But when you've been indoctrinated with the idea that a home should be handed to you, just because it's fair, of course you think you can't pull it off.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:15 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,363,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The fair tax has a huge loophole, it's called buying a home.

The catch is that you need a lot of money or income to begin with to pull it off.
FALSE....

please EDUCATE yourself

Americans For Fair Taxation: Americans For Fair Taxation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies