Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 01:54 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
A flat or fair tax still ensures the rich pay more.
True...but i mean as a percentage of their income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 01:56 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
What land are you living in?
In the most expensive counties in SoCal, USA. I lived on anywhere from 17k - 33k (before I got married and promoted), paid my taxes, saved money for retirement every year, and am happy with my lifestyle.

Plus, OP stated that the first 15k would be exempt. That is more than fair. The middle class is always the freaking greediest because they are actually trying to live an upper middle class lifestyle. A lifestyle that they don't deserve. They should take a close look at themselves before they start about taxing the rich.

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
A flat or fair tax still ensures the rich pay more.
It would result in the rich paying less than they do now and the working and middle class to pay more.

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I got to the first sentence about the Fair Tax, "This is flat 30% National Sales Tax on all sales." and stopped. This statement is NOT true because the Fair Tax would only apply to new items. After reading this, there was no sense in reading anything else in the article.
That is only one thought on the Fair Tax just as a 10% or 15% flat tax are two different versions of the same concept. The Fair Tax could easily be one where, not only new items are taxed, but also used (and even then, with age & itemized exceptions - like a home as a opposed to the short-life of a car). This article is disingenuous.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:57 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
No, I'm a fair tax fan. Tax on consumption, then everyone get's to pay, rich and poor alike. That way, we eliminate the income tax, and take home more of our pay.
Just as long as there is some sort of credit for money in savings that has already been taxed. Otherwise, you'll be taxed twice for that money.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:59 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
That is only one thought on the Fair Tax just as a 10% or 15% flat tax are two different versions of the same concept. The Fair Tax could easily be one where, not only new items are taxed, but also used (and even then, with age & itemized exceptions - like a home as a opposed to the short-life of a car). This article is disingenuous.
The Fair Tax is actually a bill introduced in the House, HR 25. Used items would not be taxed because they would've already been taxed.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
In the most expensive counties in SoCal, USA. I lived on anywhere from 17k - 33k (before I got married and promoted), paid my taxes, saved money for retirement every year, and am happy with my lifestyle.

Plus, OP stated that the first 15k would be exempt. That is more than fair. The middle class is always the freaking greediest because they are actually trying to live an upper middle class lifestyle. A lifestyle that they don't deserve. They should take a close look at themselves before they start about taxing the rich.
17 to 33k in SoCal (in any place decent enough to live) is a cockroach existence. Point blank, period. You can't afford an ice cream cone after you pay your bills.

Please...get real.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post

Who are you to judge who deserves what lifestyle? Greed is what created most of the jobs in the U.S. and will continue to be the driving force. Go see Atlas Shrugged Part 1 and you'll understand.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:02 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
17 to 33k in SoCal (in any place decent enough to live) is a cockroach existence. Point blank, period. You can't afford an ice cream cone after you pay your bills.

Please...get real.
Then why not an income tax on zip code of primary job location? You know, if you want to be f-a-i-r.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Please...get real.
I agree. Rent or a mortgage would consume all disposable income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies