Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:45 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Yes I read the Amygdala developed after reptiles morphed into mammals.

Quite a lofty area of the brain right wingers are running on....LOL

I'm sure that fear response serves you well just as it does mice, gophers, and wild birds....LOL

Care to argue any of these points?

awareness

The amygdala acts to perform environmental surveillance and can trigger orienting responses as well as mediate the maintenance of attention if something of interest or importance were to appear.

self-determination

Bilateral destruction of the amygdala usually results in increased tameness, docility, and reduced aggressiveness in cats, monkeys and other animals.

learning from experience

The amygdalae also are involved in the modulation of memory consolidation. Following any learning event, the long-term memory for the event is not instantaneously formed. Rather, information regarding the event is slowly assimilated into long-term storage over time (the duration of long-term memory storage can be life-long), a process referred to as memory consolidation, until it reaches a relatively permanent state.

creativity

Research using Rorschach test blot 03 finds that the number of ‘‘unique responses’’ to this random figure links to larger sized amygdalae. The researchers note, "Since previous reports have indicated that unique responses were observed at higher frequency in the artistic population than in the non artistic normal population, this positive correlation suggests that amygdalar enlargement in the normal population might be related to creative mental activity.

emotional stability

A 2003 study found that adult and adolescent bipolar patients tended to have considerably smaller amygdala volumes and somewhat smaller hippocampal volumes.

Amygdala - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://brainmind.com/Amygdala44.html

Keep in mind the "study" referenced in the OP made its conclusions based on the larger size of conservative's Amygdalae.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 10:05 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salem baptist View Post
so what's a more primitive thing to do?

Go against what nature has intended and kill your own via infanticide

or Be strong take some responsibility and raise the young.
I had two hamsters living in a cage when I was young. Soon they multiplied. Soon there were too many to fit in the cage. Soon my friends and the pet store wouldn't accept any more. Eventually the cage chock-full of hamsters disappeared and I think an older family member let them out in the woods. So the perfect existence of the original hamsters was doomed because they could not control their over-breeding. That is primitive. That is not intelligent.

Nature encourages lots of procreation to make up for the fact that there is usually a very high death rate. When a species like mankind has no predators and continues breeding even after minimizing the death rate due to modern medicine, overpopulation is the inevitable. Since the world is a closed system, we will face increasing competition for resources, and eventually starvation and pandemic. This is how nature deals with overpopulation.

Nobody is talking about infanticide, and the removal of a small cluster of cells before it can grow into a human being is obviously different from infanticide. In a world with massive overpopulation and continuing degradation of quality of life here in America, it makes no sense at all to ensure that every single conception result in a new human being--particularly when many of those being forced to bear the unwanted children will need taxpayers to pay the $1 million or more to bring them up. Then, they join the incredibly overpopulated job market to make that problem even worse.

Taking responsibility is a good idea: making sure that those who have children can afford to raise them, and have the maturity and skills necessary to do so well. It is far better for a clump of cells to not grow into a person, if that person would be doomed to a life of poverty, abuse, and misery.

Don't take everything organized religion says as gospel. Like government, it cares about maximizing its followers and couldn't care less if doing so lowers everyone's quality of life.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:28 AM

84 posts, read 157,458 times
Look. I AM a liberal, if you wanna class me on the spectrum, but this to me just screams of Eugenics.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:47 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanandneedtobeloved View Post
Look. I AM a liberal, if you wanna class me on the spectrum, but this to me just screams of Eugenics.
If you name yourself after a line from a song by The Smiths, you don't need to tell anyone that you are liberal.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:49 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Following up on Conservative generosity-

All The Presiden'ts Taxes
• George Bush the elder wins the prize for charitable giving—he gave away nearly 62% of his $1.3 million income in 1991.

• Barack Obama donated $100,000 of his Nobel Prize winnings to the charity run by recently discredited "Three Cups of Tea" author Greg Mortenson.

Having a "fearful" brain sure comes in handy, doesn't it? It helps prevent you from being hoodwinked by snakeoil salesmen.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:06 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Liberal Brains Bigger in Areas of Complexity; Conservative Brains Bigger in Areas of Fear - Culture - GOOD

I don't think people should use this as a justification to attack conservatives. Fear can be a very useful emotion. It can prevent us from getting ourselves into bad situations. A healthy dose of fear is necessary in order to survive.

The truth is that we need both conservatives and liberals in order to have a healthy society. Without liberalism, nothing changes; without conservatism, nothing is preserved.

Just some good old fashioned propaganda. Look for the hidden agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies