Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 06:28 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Liberal Brains Bigger in Areas of Complexity; Conservative Brains Bigger in Areas of Fear - Culture - GOOD

I don't think people should use this as a justification to attack conservatives. Fear can be a very useful emotion. It can prevent us from getting ourselves into bad situations. A healthy dose of fear is necessary in order to survive.

The truth is that we need both conservatives and liberals in order to have a healthy society. Without liberalism, nothing changes; without conservatism, nothing is preserved.

I must say that I find it very entertaining when you venture into areas of science!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 06:35 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
What is an area of complexity?

Figuring out how to get re-elected?

Oh Yeah, promise free stuff.

Complexity is in the mind of the one who cannot connect the dots.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:54 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I was able to find all of that because I went to the actual study.

Apparently you are unable to do so yourself.

And you are a conservative are you not?

I rest my case.
Then why would you post a link that doesn't contain ANY of the critical information? Why didn't you post the link that you used to go "to the actual study"?

If you post a link, get questioned, and then claim you actually looked elsewhere and the OTHER site contained the relevant information, that's either a pure cop out or an example of extremely unorganized thought process.

In your response, instead of just being insulting (which liberals often do instead of simply answering the question), why not address the problems I brought up? I guess everyone is supposed to assume that you looked at some other site and were happy with what you found. Yet you did not post the other link, so people could judge for themselves or offer comment.

Not way an intellectual would do either the original post, or the response to questions about methodology.

I rest my case.

(BTW, the link in the first line does NOT connect you to a site that explains ANY of the questions raised.)

Old 04-18-2011, 06:59 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
And you know this how??
From a colleague who did linkedin/facebook data mining work.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Source?
Academic colleague down the hall from our lab who does linkedin/facebook data mining projects. Supplemented by my conference attendance (Comp Sci) and my ex-girlfriends' (Classics) conferences

Old 04-18-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Could be a right brain/left brain dominance thing. People (like me) who are right brain dominant tend to be artistic, musical, non mathmatecal. Maybe those traits correspond more with liberal ideology.
Switch them.

Right brain is for analytical function, whereas left is for artistic expression.

Lateralization of brain function - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-18-2011, 07:37 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Then why would you post a link that doesn't contain ANY of the critical information? Why didn't you post the link that you used to go "to the actual study"?

If you post a link, get questioned, and then claim you actually looked elsewhere and the OTHER site contained the relevant information, that's either a pure cop out or an example of extremely unorganized thought process.

In your response, instead of just being insulting (which liberals often do instead of simply answering the question), why not address the problems I brought up? I guess everyone is supposed to assume that you looked at some other site and were happy with what you found. Yet you did not post the other link, so people could judge for themselves or offer comment.

Not way an intellectual would do either the original post, or the response to questions about methodology.

I rest my case.

(BTW, the link in the first line does NOT connect you to a site that explains ANY of the questions raised.)

It really doesn't matter because the characterization of the Amygdala as nothing but a "fear center" leaves out the other three F's at the minimum. Truth be told, the Amygdala plays a role in all situational awareness. The recognition of frightening faces and situations may be one of the most important function of the Amygdala from an evolutionary stand-point, but the same Amygdala also serves a critical function in all experienced based learning. Lose your Amygdala and you'll spend the rest of your life learning to tie your shoe laces and introducing yourself to family and friends. No doubt this is the reason liberals with their smaller Amygdalae go blank when conservatives explain we've already tried their stupid New Deal program and it didn't work, or when we cut taxes in the past, revenue increased.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:46 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
From a colleague who did linkedin/facebook data mining work.
Well, without a verifiable source it's an opinion, not a fact.

PS: mining linkedin/facebook for valid data:

Old 04-18-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Well, without a verifiable source it's an opinion, not a fact.

PS: mining linkedin/facebook for valid data:
The findings themselves cannot be published because it is too socially unacceptable for conferences like AAAI, IJCAI, and UAI. The people in question published on other data and offered to me the demographic data, which I cheerfully crunched on my own free time.

The study seems bogus to me. It does not indicate how the subjects were selected, what constituted a liberal vs. conservative individual (social/fiscal?). It's junk science and I would never submit a paper based on this loosey goosey "research" to any of our conferences.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:40 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
Quote:
You know the only piece of evidence is a "Blue/Red State" study.....but then go on to ask me for evidence? ...Then add the qualifier "American" as if I said that?

I don't have any evidence of "American" only studies. ...but then I never said I did.
The blue/red state study, with it's gaping flaws that anyone with high school statistics and half a brain could spot (helllllllo potential Simpson's paradox), is the only one *I* know of.

If it's the only one you know of as well, then when you said that, quote:

Quote:
Self identified liberals score higher on IQ tests than these white, self identified conservatives as do Ashkenazi Jews, and Asians.
you were outright making up that comment out of thin air (at least the liberal/conservative part). This is very ironic because in that same post, you opened up complaining about other people making up facts out of thin air then you did so yourself (unless you aren't bright enough to spot the problem with the state data, in which case your posts are deliciously ironic in a different fashion).

And this is somewhat disappointing because, as entertaining as your hypocrisy is, I really was interested to see if you had a proper quantitative study backing up your point, because it's something I would be very interested in reading if it exists anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies