Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 09:38 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
So who gets to pay for all this extra health care you need due to your unhealthy lifestyle???
How dare you call being Jewish an unhealthy lifestyle.

Sure Jewish people are at much greater risk for certain diseases such as:
  • Tay-Sachs Disease
  • Creutzfelt-Jakob Disease
  • Bloom's Syndrome
  • Cystic Fibrosis
etc., etc.

Just because certain groups are at risk for certain diseases does not justify bigotry or defamation against that group.

That's why we have the B'nai B'rith Anti-Defamation League.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 09:41 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,108 times
Smoke whatever it is you like

Old 04-18-2011, 09:42 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
I think you're on the level hammertime33. But, I totally disagree with your "choice".

I don't think that kindergartners should be taught in our public schools that Timmy likes Billy sexually.

I'll never stop homosexuality. I disagree that it should be pranced around in the mainstream media and in advertising as something as natural as breathing.

Gays do have an agenda. And there is a lifestyle of fun and wild abandon promoted. Booze and drugs. That's what happended to my cousin. Join up and have fun. He died at 30 of AIDS.

Stop the gay pride parades. Stop trying to make being gay a rally cry. Stop trying to influence kids -- by suggesting that gay is good.
I don't mean to be mean, but you're buying into a boatload of BS and hateful stereotyping. I've never met anyone who has an agenda of "promoting" a gay lifestyle to children of wild abandon replete with uninhibited booze, drugs, and indiscriminate man-on-man sex.

The "gay agenda" is simply to promote homosexuals as human beings deserving of love, acceptance, and decent treatment. Our agenda is to end the demonization, the scorn, the vilification, and the outright hatred of gay people in this society based on the simple fact that they are gay. We don't go into school promoting gay sex.

The lesson is this: "Sometimes men love other men, and women love other women. That makes a valid family, and just because someone is different from you in this way doesn't mean it's a reason to hate and mistreat that person." I think this is a wonderful human value and something that we absolutely should be teaching our children. It's a lesson designed to improve the treatment of gay youth in our society and keep them from falling into an unhealthy lifestyle of wild abandon replete with uninhibited booze, drugs, and indiscriminate man-on-man sex. It's the exact opposite of what you claim.

Quote:
Most people don't want to be gay. And they don't want their kids to be gay either.
I certainly want to be gay. It's who I am. I think it's repugnant and disgusting that people wouldn't want a gay child and then mistreat that child when he turns out to be gay. What a judgemental, hateful, and destructive attitude to have. It's exactly that attitude that leads to the problems you complain about.

As a gay man, I've know many other gay men. A vast majority are happy, successful, well adjusted adults. Many of these gay men are in long term, committed relationships (most of my 30 year old + gay friends fit this description). Many are "married", they bring their husbands to their childhood home for Thanksgiving, they go to family functions as a couple, etc. The ones not in long term relationships (many of my under 30 gay friends fit this description) are seeking them. They date, they bring their boyfriends home to meet their parents, etc.

The one thing these gay men have in common are loving families who accept and support them. Yes, most have a very hard time coming to terms with their homosexuality as youth - many even contemplated or attempted suicides as teenagers - but when they came out, they found that their family and friends didn't care. They loved them the same even though they are gay. Most gay men with families and friends like this never turn to a life of unhealthy choices. They avoid drug addiction, alcohol abuse, promiscuous sex, etc.

I've also know the type of gay man who you seem to think represents the majority of gay men and represents some sort of general "gay lifestyle." He seems well put together when you meet him, but after a month you realize he's a total mess. Can't hold a job, hits the bar 5 or 6 nights a weeks, seems to be dating a new guy every time you see him. Then he disappears for a month and you later find out he was on a drug bender. In general, this is the type of gay man who ends up with HIV/AIDS (or spreads it some naive 18 year old kid).

The one thing these gay men have in common is the lack of loving and supportive families. These gay men grew up in religiously-judgemental households (out in my neck of the woods there's a good chance they grew up in a Mormon household). They were run out of the house at 15 when their father found out they were gay (sometime at gunpoint). If you were to date one of these men, you'd never in a million years get to meet their parents. If for some reason you did, you'd be introduced as a "roommate" or "friend" - never as a boyfriend or husband. These men grew up hating themselves for being gay, and as adults, they still do.

These gay men exist, but they're not a majority of gay men. Even most gay men who grow up in religiously-judgemental households like this are able to reject that upbringing and find some level of support and self-acceptance. However, not all can. I find that tragic.

Last edited by hammertime33; 04-18-2011 at 09:52 PM..

Old 04-18-2011, 09:45 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:

Stop the gay pride parades.
Do you plan on stopping Mardi Gras and straight partying?

Quote:
Stop trying to make being gay a rally cry.
Promoting tolerance and equal rights is not a rally cry.

Quote:
Stop trying to influence kids -- by suggesting that gay is good.
As soon as you stop influencing kids that bigotry and hatred are good.

Quote:
Most people don't want to be gay. And they don't want their kids to be gay either.
Most people don't want to be hateful, ignorant bigots either, and yet look how many of you there are.

Quote:
So I don't adhere to Democratic Party political correctness.
Nope, you follow the Fred Phelps standard of conduct.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:47 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
There is a whole world I didn't even know existed until I clicked on this thread. Viruses causing anal cancer. How disgusting. All of these risks and gays are still taking careless risks with their lives and demanding others understand and tolerate.
Are you that naive? Viruses cause cervical cancer too. Does that mean all heterosexuals need to stop having vaginal sex?

Old 04-18-2011, 09:56 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Seattle Public Health: Gay Lifestyle Is Unhealthy.
Has this report/study been retracted yet? Has the person(s) responsible been fired and run out on a rail yet?

Yeah, tell us something we don't know.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:58 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
I got nothing against Jews...

I love these guys

JPFO Homepage
But Jews are at greater risk for certain diseases and you seem to want to stigmatize people who may or may not be at risk for certain diseases.

If you google "Jewish Diseases" you will find dozens and dozens of sites that relate to diseases that Jewish people - both Ashkenazic and Sephardic - are at an increased risk for developing.

It is also true that African Americans are at higher risk for certain diseases and health problems than white people. In fact, statistically, African Americans do not live as long as white Americans; but I'm sure you know that already.

Be it as it may, susceptibility to certain health related issues, is in my opinion no reason to excuse or justify bigotry against a certain group or community of people. Racism and Anti-Semitism is just plain wrong in my view, regardless of the fact that African Americans and Jews have greater risks for certain diseases.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:01 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,108 times
What does this have to do with the OP???

Old 04-18-2011, 10:16 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
But Jews are at greater risk for certain diseases and you seem to want to stigmatize people who may or may not be at risk for certain diseases.

If you google "Jewish Diseases" you will find dozens and dozens of sites that relate to diseases that Jewish people - both Ashkenazic and Sephardic - are at an increased risk for developing.

It is also true that African Americans are at higher risk for certain diseases and health problems than white people. In fact, statistically, African Americans do not live as long as white Americans; but I'm sure you know that already.

Be it as it may, susceptibility to certain health related issues, is in my opinion no reason to excuse or justify bigotry against a certain group or community of people. Racism and Anti-Semitism is just plain wrong in my view, regardless of the fact that African Americans and Jews have greater risks for certain diseases.
Not many people are born with classical jewish diseases anymore because people know about them, and jewish/jewish couples tend to get tested before having kids. Worst case scenario, a single one is born then they realize ---oh ****, time to consider adoption.

I mean, look, I understand the point you're making, but don't try to make up that these issues have a large financial impact anymore (they of course make an impact on the couples who realize they can't have kids together because they're both tays-sachs carriers or the like) with current understanding of medicine, since they don't. You just want them to to help make your point, and so are playing a game of "let's pretend," but with real groups and without a "I have no clue about the impact of what I am talking about" disclaimer

If you're going to make an analogy, at least make it a true analogy, because the medical costs of screening for a genetic disease in this day and age have gotten pretty drat low.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:20 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
There is a whole world I didn't even know existed until I clicked on this thread. Viruses causing anal cancer. How disgusting. All of these risks and gays are still taking careless risks with their lives and demanding others understand and tolerate.
The same viruses also can cause / increase the risk of cancer in promiscuous straight people.

The things that would have been nice to know before college
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies