Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 04:34 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,511,130 times

Advertisements

I wonder just playng the "lets pretend" game for a minute IF they banned all guns and managed to get them all what would they ban next? What do murderers use other than guns? Lets see: knives - boy that would be interesting, baseball bats, hands?, frying pans, motor vehicles...Anyway this idea the (D) is proposing is just plain stupid!

New DNC chief: Screen sales of all guns - TheHill.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 05:02 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,331,902 times
This is just another way to obstruct legal gun owners and generate more fee revenue for the government. This sort of thing is right up any liberal's alley. P.O. gun owners and take more of their money so we can give it to someone else? That's clearly a moonbat win/win!!!

Old 04-19-2011, 05:03 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,826,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
I wonder just playng the "lets pretend" game for a minute IF they banned all guns and managed to get them all what would they ban next? What do murderers use other than guns? Lets see: knives - boy that would be interesting, baseball bats, hands?, frying pans, motor vehicles...Anyway this idea the (D) is proposing is just plain stupid!

First lets deal with reality, If their were a screen all sales of guns law, that in no way infringes on anyone right to "keep and to bear arms"...except for felons and the mentally ill... persons who are already excluded.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
First lets deal with reality, If their were a screen all sales of guns law, that in no way infringes on anyone right to "keep and to bear arms"...except for felons and the mentally ill... persons who are already excluded.

It makes it more difficult to sell guns and it costs people money.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:18 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,616,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post

I'll pretend for the sake of fun.

I lived in Japan back in the 80s. They have, or had, a fairly far-reaching gun ban. People just didn't have them. Oh, I'm sure some people did but it was NOTHING like here. Plus, of course, they have a different culture so who knows if anything would have even been different if they all carried them. Very, very little gun crime there.

Having said that, of course people will murder with anything they can get their hands on. A butter knife, a frying pan, a car. But I have yet to see anyone of of these implements take out, say 20 people, in 15 minutes. If someone is coming at you with a knife, a baseball bat, their hands, you have SOME hope of defending yourself. Very hard to do with a bullet, much less a 20 bullets rapidly firing from a clip. But even one bullet is pretty bad. I can't outrun them but I might be able to outrun a fat guy with a knife. I'm not sure why people can't see the difference here. Not even comparable in my view.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:19 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,156,603 times
If the American people are disarmed you will have no rights from that day. You won't even be posting here.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'll pretend for the sake of fun.

I lived in Japan back in the 80s. They have, or had, a fairly far-reaching gun ban. People just didn't have them. Oh, I'm sure some people did but it was NOTHING like here. Plus, of course, they have a different culture so who knows if anything would have even been different if they all carried them. Very, very little gun crime there.

Having said that, of course people will murder with anything they can get their hands on. A butter knife, a frying pan, a car. But I have yet to see anyone of of these implements take out, say 20 people, in 15 minutes. If someone is coming at you with a knife, a baseball bat, their hands, you have SOME hope of defending yourself. Very hard to do with a bullet, much less a 20 bullets rapidly firing from a clip. But even one bullet is pretty bad. I can't outrun them but I might be able to outrun a fat guy with a knife. I'm not sure why people can't see the difference here. Not even comparable in my view.
Let's take the AZ shooting incident here. Let's say the shooter took his car and drove it into the crown instead of using as gun. How would you defend yourself? Would more people have been injured?

Old 04-19-2011, 05:28 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,616,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Let's take the AZ shooting incident here. Let's say the shooter took his car and drove it into the crown instead of using as gun. How would you defend yourself? Would more people have been injured?
Yes, of all the things listed above, a car is going to do the most damage. That still doesn't mean that people will rampantly use cars as weapons, and let's face it, it will be predominantly limited to outdoor events. I doubt the Ft. Hood shooter or the VA Tech shooter could have done as much damage with a car.

You can argue with me all you want--I'm not for disarming people. That doesn't mean I'm stupid enough to believe that ANYTHING else will equal the ferocity of a gun. But we can focus in on automobiles if that makes your worldview sit better.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:32 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,511,130 times
Though never reported by our "free" press - guns save lives!

Fact Sheet: Guns Save Lives - Gun Owners Of America (http://gunowners.org/sk0802.htm - broken link)

Old 04-19-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Yes, of all the things listed above, a car is going to do the most damage. That still doesn't mean that people will rampantly use cars as weapons, and let's face it, it will be predominantly limited to outdoor events. I doubt the Ft. Hood shooter or the VA Tech shooter could have done as much damage with a car.

You can argue with me all you want--I'm not for disarming people. That doesn't mean I'm stupid enough to believe that ANYTHING else will equal the ferocity of a gun. But we can focus in on automobiles if that makes your worldview sit better.

Let's say that someone walks into a crowded auditorium armed with Molotov cocktails. How would you defend yourself? I would draw my gun and shoot them myself. Unless of course it was a school auditorium in which case I'd be unarmed.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies